Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Springfield “Garrison” 1911

Site Supporter
    Do we think the Mil-Spec is going away? I'd probably just opt for a Mil-Spec over this because I'd prefer a short trigger. Not that I'm actually in the market for one, either way. But... hypothetically speaking.

In any case...

Does Springfield "tune" their extractors on basic 1911s (or whatever else is necessary for base-line reliability)? Does Colt? That's really the only "feature" I'd care about having on my sub $1000 1911. But I'm not sure that exists.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Do we think the Mil-Spec is going away? I'd probably just opt for a Mil-Spec over this because I'd prefer a short trigger. Not that I'm actually in the market for one, either way. But... hypothetically speaking.

In any case...

Does Springfield "tune" their extractors on basic 1911s (or whatever else is necessary for base-line reliability)? Does Colt? That's really the only "feature" I'd care about having on my sub $1000 1911. But I'm not sure that exists.
    Replacing a 1911 trigger is one of the easier part swaps to do. An extended thumb safety, which most people want and which the Garrison has and the Mil-Spec lacks, takes maybe a bit more fitting skill to install (I haven't installed one yet but have replaced three triggers - so that's just my understanding at this point).

Most people also want a beavertail grip safety, which to my understanding is really difficult to properly install on the user end because it's likely to involve removing frame material and refinishing. So unless the beavertail and modern thumb safety aren't something you want, it would seem it's easier to get a Garrison (or the similarly-priced and spec'd Ronin) to your desired end state than a Mil-Spec by just replacing the trigger.

Tuning an extractor is pretty easy too. Whether or not the extractor on a budget gun is tuned is probably way, way down there on the list of concerns because it's easy for the owner to fix.

If I'm looking for a budget 1911, probably the two things it has to have (besides minimally sufficient slide-frame and barrel fitting) are a beavertail grip safety and decent and/or easily replaceable sights, because anything else I care about is something I can change or fix on my end without needing to refinish the gun.

Purely a cosmetic consideration, but I wish more 1911 models had kept the vertical cocking serrations unchanged.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    Replacing a 1911 trigger is one of the easier part swaps to do. An extended thumb safety, which most people want and which the Garrison has and the Mil-Spec lacks, takes maybe a bit more fitting skill to install (I haven't installed one yet but have replaced three triggers - so that's just my understanding at this point).

Most people also want a beavertail grip safety, which to my understanding is really difficult to properly install on the user end because it's likely to involve removing frame material and refinishing. So unless the beavertail and modern thumb safety aren't something you want, it would seem it's easier to get a Garrison (or the similarly-priced and spec'd Ronin) to your desired end state than a Mil-Spec by just replacing the trigger.

Tuning an extractor is pretty easy too. Whether or not the extractor on a budget gun is tuned is probably way, way down there on the list of concerns because it's easy for the owner to fix.

If I'm looking for a budget 1911, probably the two things it has to have (besides minimally sufficient slide-frame and barrel fitting) are a beavertail grip safety and decent and/or easily replaceable sights, because anything else I care about is something I can change or fix on my end without needing to refinish the gun.
    What Elwin said. Installing a different trigger is merely a matter of finding one you like and swapping it out. You will need to know how to perform a detailed disassembly and reassembly of the pistol and hope that the grip safety interfaces correctly with the new trigger bow. Tuning an extractor is not difficult, just requires some study of material on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    What Elwin said. Installing a different trigger is merely a matter of finding one you like and swapping it out. You will need to know how to perform a detailed disassembly and reassembly of the pistol and hope that the grip safety interfaces correctly with the new trigger bow.
    To be fair, depending on the trigger, you may also need to file a bit on it before it’ll fit in the frame, make sure the bow isn’t binding magazines, and set the overtravel. But I’ve recently installed one that required all that and fitting to the grip safety to boot, and it went fine just taking my time and using more paper than file to be safe. And if I can do it at a folding table in my garage using tools from Home Depot, anyone can do it.

1911s are also surprisingly easy to detail strip. If you can carefully use a file and sandpaper as needed to fit oversized parts, most people are capable of more modification and maintenance than they think. I know that’s what I’ve learned over the past year.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    To be fair, depending on the trigger, you may also need to file a bit on it before it’ll fit in the frame, make sure the bow isn’t binding magazines, and set the overtravel. But I’ve recently installed one that required all that and fitting to the grip safety to boot, and it went fine just taking my time and using more paper than file to be safe. And if I can do it at a folding table in my garage using tools from Home Depot, anyone can do it.

1911s are also surprisingly easy to detail strip. If you can carefully use a file and sandpaper as needed to fit oversized parts, most people are capable of more modification and maintenance than they think. I know that’s what I’ve learned over the past year.
    You bring up a good point re: triggers. Most of my experience has been with Colt OEM triggers and they always seem to fit properly, even the interface with the grip safety.

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    Purely a cosmetic consideration, but I wish more 1911 models had kept the vertical cocking serrations unchanged.
    You’re not alone in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    You bring up a good point re: triggers. Most of my experience has been with Colt OEM triggers and they always seem to fit properly, even the interface with the grip safety.
    And I admittedly buy intentionally oversized triggers that I pretty much know will at least need some material removed to fit in the frame (10-8 and Wilson). And Ed Brown uses triggers with a different shaped back of the bow, so I should have known that one was going to present grip safety fit issues.

Site Supporter
    I just purchased one of these in blue steel last night. I have wanted a basic 1911 with better sights/beaver tail for a while and this was sitting there in my local gun store's case. First impression is that there is a lot here for a "less than $700" 1911. It even had hand engraved numbers inside which I think were assembly numbers? Some of the parts are MIM parts and the GI style guide rod is hollow. I disassembled the pistol last night, wiped out the light oil that is came with and re-lubricated with Cherrybalmz black rifle lube.

Today I went to the range and fired 100 rounds of Federal 230g FMJ and the only 7 round mag that came with the gun. It functioned as it should. It was shooting a little right and at 25 yds was about 1.5 inches off. The rear Novak style sight was slightly off center to the right. It was easily fixed. The adjustment worked but I was a little off at that point. It's been a while since I've shot .45ACP 1911 pistols. All in all, it shoots pretty well! The recoil was what you would expect from a .45 ACP 1911 but the gun felt solid and the sights were easy to track. It has a little creep in the trigger but it isn't bad and certainly not as bad as most 1911s at that price point. Like others here, I prefer the aesthetics of vertical cocking serrations. But...these were really really secure using a slingshot grasp. This was so even after slopping some Kroil on the back of the slide to bump the rear sight. The serrations really work so I just think of them as being reverse Italic style. Speaking of aesthetics, the bluing is nicely done! Shiny on the flats and matte on the rounds. It looks pretty good. It does have all the sharp edges though. Think out of the box Colt but sharper, The thin stocks are a little small for my hands. I think I will replace them with standard dimension checkered walnut stocks.

As I said, I think there is a lot here to like if you are not expecting it to be a semi-custom or custom gun. Classic lines, modern sights/hammer/beavertail/safety and nice blueing are what I was looking for. Is it a SA PRO? Nope. Is it a solid sub-$700 1911 that may prove itself worthy of carry? Time will tell. Overall, I am pleased with the gun. 100 rounds is no kind of realistic evaluation but if it keeps working the way it does for another 900 or so, it will be hard to resist carrying it.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post

In any case...

Dunno about Springfield but Colt is infamous for sending out 1911s with little to no extractor tension, which was the case with my stainless Competition 9mm. Some old heads write it off by saying you should just tune your own extractors but that's basically selling an unfinished gun.

User Tag List