Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Springfield “Garrison” 1911

Yeah, I’ve owned a few SA 1911s over the years. Of the “current” offerings, that includes 2x Mil-Spec and an RO, which is essentially the same gun with the beavertail package and adjustable sights. With just the addition of vetted mags from the pile and bulletproof extractors, all 3 just ran and ran—their reliability window outstripping my ability to buy enough cases of .45 to break them. Lube, tune the extractor, replace the recoil spring and worry about something else has been my experience of their cheaper offerings. Which is why I am (yet again, for the umpteenth time) drawn to this new-ish basic 1911. This thing looks to be less than 40 bucks worth of Wilson extractor away from checking all the boxes for a serviceable Gov’t.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Sounds like you're contradicting your self. You start with saying your RO is ok except the trigger and accuracy isn't as good as a gun twice as expensive. Then say you haven't had good results with their 1911s. A 9mm 1911 is pretty hard for any company to get right 100% of the time so anytime one is bought, that should be understood.

Their milspecs have always been one of the best buys out there. They've never been known for poor quality or materials.
    Well, OK then. I said there were folks who've had good experiences with Springer 1911s. My CCO cost $800, so way less than twice what the RO cost.

Seriously, the 1911 exists for two reasons - mechanical accuracy and great triggers. Other than that they're heavy, low capacity, and complex. So a 1911 that has a "meh" trigger and "meh" accuracy is a fail, IMHO. Your experience is different, I get it. But when I can shoot a G19 with the same accuracy results as a 1911, that 1911 isn't a winner in my book. And before I get jumped again, I carry my CCO almost every day when I go to work, intentionally picking it over the G19 I'm also authorized. So this isn't a Glocks rule and 1911 sucks guy talking...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Well, OK then. I said there were folks who've had good experiences with Springer 1911s. My CCO cost $800, so way less than twice what the RO cost.

Seriously, the 1911 exists for two reasons - mechanical accuracy and great triggers. Other than that they're heavy, low capacity, and complex. So a 1911 that has a "meh" trigger and "meh" accuracy is a fail, IMHO. Your experience is different, I get it. But when I can shoot a G19 with the same accuracy results as a 1911, that 1911 isn't a winner in my book. And before I get jumped again, I carry my CCO almost every day when I go to work, intentionally picking it over the G19 I'm also authorized. So this isn't a Glocks rule and 1911 sucks guy talking...
    It's not that I "jumped" you. You brought up 4 guns that weren't.45 1911s in a thread talking about .45 1911s. What does their AR or hellcat have to do with their ability to make a 1911? I even agree with you about the rest of their offerings. The only Springfield I'd buy is one of their 1911s.

And while a meh trigger is annoying it's an easy fix at home.

That was a great price for a cco too. I thought they were $1200 guns.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    You brought up 4 guns that weren't.45 1911s in a thread talking about .45 1911s. What does their AR or hellcat have to do with their ability to make a 1911?
    Because a company that'll ship an AR without properly torquing the barrel nut is not a company I trust to make a complex pistol, like a 1911. Again, you have had great results with yours - and your MC Operator experiences were an influencer on my decision to try to RO/RO Operator. I wish you nothing but continued good luck with your pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    With all the excitement around the release of the SA-35 Hi-Power, this basic 1911 variant evidently took on a bit of the bald-headed step child role during new release time. That’s probably worth rectifying, as the Garrison is essentially Springfield Armory’s “Mil-Spec” with the addition of Novak-esque sights on top, and a beavertail/hammer/extended safety parts package on the ass end. All of which is a compelling thing, and a real contender for “best 1911 under 1k.” Considerably under: The blued Gov’t comes in at 800 retail, and we’ve all seen new Mil-Specs for under 7 bills all day long outside of riot season. Indeed, there’s a couple on GB right now sitting at 660-ish bids.

At any rate, for the 1911 fans—you know who you are, and you vote: this is pretty cool.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/1...ison-handguns/

Close to the Dan Wesson A2 in feature set. I wish more companies would offer 1911s that look like originals, but with better sights and safety's. I am also baffled by the dominance of triggers with holes in them. Is there a practical reason behind it, or is it just for looks? Because if its looks, solid triggers are better in my book.

The 1911 world is tempting me... A blued Garrison may just be my Christmas present to myself.

This looks like exactly what I wanted months ago. Frikin figures. I love SA 1911s. I have had the most luck with them by far in the sub 2k 1911 world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was driving me nuts, knowing I had seen one of these before...and I had - the Colt Competition series of guns Less than a grand, too...though Springfield comes in maybe a hundred bucks less. While I'm not sure the Colt would be worth a hundred more, I'm not sure it wouldn't be, either; if that makes any sense...

I'd also trust Colt more to get it right out of the box, and to use standard sight cuts (Novak front and rear); I know Springfield likes to use their own cuts for sights on some models. But YMMV...Colts seem to be more difficult to find these days?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    It was driving me nuts, knowing I had seen one of these before...and I had - the Colt Competition series of guns Less than a grand, too...though Springfield comes in maybe a hundred bucks less. While I'm not sure the Colt would be worth a hundred more, I'm not sure it wouldn't be, either; if that makes any sense...

I'd also trust Colt more to get it right out of the box, and to use standard sight cuts (Novak front and rear); I know Springfield likes to use their own cuts for sights on some models. But YMMV...Colts seem to be more difficult to find these days?
    A lot of dealers are putting Colts up for sale on Gunbroker right away when they get them.

I just took possession of a new Colt basic O1911C (1911 Classic) model expect it is a two-tone and has a Commander-style ring hammer and grip safety. It is one of the tightest Colt's I've owned other than Custom Shop guns and it looks to be built quite nicely. Colt's QA has been very inconsistent in recent years but they can produce excellent guns. It's possible this new pistol shows some DW influence but that's probably a reach.

I hope the quality of the Garrison is good to very good, as I think it is a desirable package other than the thin grips.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post

I don't trust anybody out of the box anymore. If I could put my paws on a .45 Colt Competition or SA Garrison, I'd buy one.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List