Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Springfield “Garrison” 1911

Some.
    But there has been a lot of work done to get 1911 types to work with 9mm, driven by the wide availability and low cost of ammo being shot by everybody else's guns.

I have had a couple of .38s but got tired of crawling around looking for my brass.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    And as to all of the stuff I've read on here over the years about how 9mm 1911s can be problem children because the case is too short (amplified for the .40s) and that if one wants to run a sub-.45 1911, it's best to get a .38 Super? That's not got some truth to it?
    There is some truth to it. 1911s in 9mm are more finicky in general than those in 45. But recently some manufacturers have been building 9mm guns that run without drama. But I still don't trust them as much as a Government Model 45. Even though I've owned 9mm 1911s that were trouble free I always felt like I was one round away from a malfunction. I prefer either a 4" or Commander length gun with a bull barrel or a Government model with a bushing for 9mm.

The 38 Super is a longer cartridge and my 38S guns run great. I stocked up on ammo during the early months of the 9mm and 45 shortage because 38S was available and it took a while before the prices started going up significantly. But there is nothing magic about the 38 Super cartridge -- it is no more accurate than 9mm or 45ACP, in fact maybe less so on average. It's like a 9mm +P than works well in the 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    it's best to get a .38 Super? That's not got some truth to it?
    Seems to me as the 1911 world turns things evolve, and they have evolved to the point that 9mm works in the 1911. The 38S is probably/surely more optimal, but you can expect a 9mm 1911 to work. I think they all come with ramped barrels now (Colt?...) and not so many magazine variables.

My personal experience is with two lowly Rugers, a 5" with a cone barrel and a LWC (a proper 4.25") with a bushing (I think Ruger got that backwards, but oh well) and with Wilson ETMs they gobbled up everything, including some reloads I goofed up that should have choked them. I only remember one bulk pack Winchester round failed to extract, funny I was shooting it as a baseline to make sure it was reliable with factory ammo, I almost never shoot factory ammo.

My summary opinion, it is not as good but it works great.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Well how did I miss this thread.

Picked up a new Springfield Garrison in .45ACP in July. One range visit so far, 95 rounds of Federal AE 230 with no issues; so far, so good. I bought two CM Power Mags and two WC ETMs, all 8 rounders, to start with.

Not crazy about the white dot front (I sharpied the rears). I'm also not 100% clear where it shoots. Last part of the first range session I "think" it liked shoot the dot, so I'm going to try that next time.

Name:  IMG_1249.jpg
Views: 1340
Size:  56.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I was just thinking the exact same thing...
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

My wife and I bought a 9mm Garrison last week, and it’s pretty sweet. Lots of MIM parts, but they’re the best MIM parts I’ve seen.

Ordered and installed a set of "Coolhand" G10 thin grips on the Garrison today.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J7S0ATQ...roduct_details

Name:  IMG_1268.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  100.6 KB

These were $19.99 shipped from Amazon Prime. The right panel is milled with a pocket for the Ambi cut. I like these thin grips, and the color ("Grey/Black"), much much better than the previous set (returned with no hassle for a full refund. Nice.) They came with four T10 (I think?) screws and four teeny O-rings I inserted the O-rings onto the screws and tightened them securely (perhaps 10 in lbs?) with the provided Torx L-wrench. Texture is good in the hand, not too aggressive but not too slick. Trigger reach with a dry press is the same as the SA grips (of course). My guess is the G10 material will be a better match for outdoor shooting at The Pin Shoot next year, and won't draw moisture like the original wood grips (carefully wiped down and packed away securely.)

In other news, my WC Bulletproof Ambi Safety I'd ordered arrived, so I'm arranging with my local smith to make an appointment to get it installed. It's interesting, in profile it is perhaps 60% of the width, left and right, of the side part of the levers of the original SA left hand side safety. I have briefly used the safety (obviously very awkwardly) using my right hand, overhand, at the range to make sure it works. But I've noticed it sticks out quite a bit; having the WC part in hand, I'm very glad I went this way instead of the EGW part. Also, the rear of the lever is very nicely blended and beveled towards the frame, which I gather is a plus for these.

A few months ago, Hilton Yam at 10-8 Performance was starting a 1911 build class on Patreon using Garrisons for base guns. I’ve had a 1911 bug for awhile and wanted to learn more about how it works so I bought a stainless model to follow along.

So far, it’s been a good experience and I’ve learned a lot. I think the biggest thing I’ve learned though is, if you want to dump the MIM for tool steel parts, they likely won’t just drop in. It took me a couple hours to fit a slide stop properly and don’t ask about how the extractor replacement is going. I’m on my second extractor and still trying to get it fit right. I have a new found appreciation for 1911 smiths/armorers to say the least.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

Picked up a new Springfield Garrison in .45ACP in July. One range visit so far, 95 rounds of Federal AE 230 with no issues; so far, so good. I bought two CM Power Mags and two WC ETMs, all 8 rounders, to start with.

Not crazy about the white dot front (I sharpied the rears). I'm also not 100% clear where it shoots. Last part of the first range session I "think" it liked shoot the dot, so I'm going to try that next time.

Name:  IMG_1249.jpg
Views: 1340
Size:  56.8 KB
    IIRC, all three of my (2012-timeframe) SAs shot six o-clock at 25yds per the owners manual.

Shot the Garrison another 42 rounds today. I used the two new WC ETM magazines, and had some issues I would like some advice on

Ammo was 230 AE ball, same lot as before. I had loaded the WC mags to 8 rounds when they arrived on 8/4. Range objectives were to validate the WC mags, and see where a shoot the dot hold actually shot to.

I tried another of the local square ranges here in Venice:

Name:  IMG_1280.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  45.4 KB

On the first mag, I was shooting with 5 rounds. After 2 rounds, I got this:

Name:  IMG_1279.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  35.9 KB

The gun was pretty locked up. I struggled to get the mag out but did manage to do so. At that point the action was still locked. I applied some force to the slide and finally ejected the round. I added some Lucas HD gun oil to the barrel and hood, and racked the slide 5 or 6 times.

I performed the 10 8 Extractor Test. The gun passed. (8 rounds 2 handed, one round chambered, no mag. 4 rounds strong hand, one round chambered, no mag, and 4 rounds weak hand, one round chambered and no mag). Ejection was strong and to the right at 3 to 4 o'clock.

I then shot three more targets, no issues. I finished with 8 rounds for an attempt at "the test". At round 7 of 8, I got this:

Name:  IMG_1281.jpg
Views: 1007
Size:  27.3 KB

I quit at this point. Unfortunately I did not note which of the WC mags was in the gun.

I got home and remembered I had measured the feed lips on the mags I have, out of sheer interest, since I had seen a comment on a 10 8 video from Hilton Yam about 1911 feed lips. These were all done with my HF digital caliper:

Name:  Screenshot from 2022-08-17 12-40-40.png
Views: 971
Size:  8.8 KB

It seems interesting to me the mags with no issues (SA, 2xCM) average 0.390", and the other (2xWC) measure consistently 0.380". Thoughts? Is it possible this gun just prefers the other magazines (CM RPMs)?

User Tag List