Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Springfield “Garrison” 1911

Springfield “Garrison” 1911

With all the excitement around the release of the SA-35 Hi-Power, this basic 1911 variant evidently took on a bit of the bald-headed step child role during new release time. That’s probably worth rectifying, as the Garrison is essentially Springfield Armory’s “Mil-Spec” with the addition of Novak-esque sights on top, and a beavertail/hammer/extended safety parts package on the ass end. All of which is a compelling thing, and a real contender for “best 1911 under 1k.” Considerably under: The blued Gov’t comes in at 800 retail, and we’ve all seen new Mil-Specs for under 7 bills all day long outside of riot season. Indeed, there’s a couple on GB right now sitting at 660-ish bids.

At any rate, for the 1911 fans—you know who you are, and you vote: this is pretty cool.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/1...ison-handguns/

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Is this basically a Springfield Loaded series but without the ambi thumb safety and front slide serrations?

Any other differences?

Which, if we're talking about value, you can find the Loaded all day long for under $1k.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    If I were in the market for another 1911, that'd be perfect. All it would need for me is swapping out the flat MSH for an arched one.

I'm glad my 1911 fever is in remission...for now....
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Replace the thin stocks with regular thickness stocks and good to go. I like this offering from SA.

In the last two years, I've bought five different Springfield firearms - a 1911 RO, a 1911 RO Operator 9mm, a Hellcat, a 911, and a Saint Victor rifle. Of these five, exactly one, the late 2018-production date RO in 45, have been anywhere near functional from the factory. The 9mm RO Operator won't even consider feeding JHP ammo, fails to go into battery with FMJ about 1-2 rounds out of every magazine, and the sights are regulated 6-8" high at 25 yards. The Hellcat was a jamming POS with a horrible trigger. The 911 would not shoot ANY 9mm of any profile reliably or accurately. The Saint Victor came out of the box with the castle nut completely loose, and shot 4-5" patterns at 25 yards, from the prone on a sled (verified by three different shooters). They all went back to SA under warranty, and all were deemed to be "in spec" and returned allegedly with no repairs. I sold all except the Operator at a hard loss with full disclosure of the issues I'd been having.

The 2018ish RO is generally OK - been reliable through semi-significant abuse, but the trigger is "meh" at best, and the accuracy is definitely not up to snuff for what I expect 1911s to be capable of (definitely less accurate than my DW CCO).

At this point, if I won a Springfield, I would give it to someone I REALLY disliked. I'm completely done with them - life is too short to deal with shitty guns.

I recognize that there are plenty of folks who have had good results with Springer 1911s, but I'm not one of them. Given that this is a rebranded "MilSpec" with better sights, and the "MilSpec" series was never known for quality of materials and construction, I'd give this a hard pass.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    In the last two years, I've bought five different Springfield firearms - a 1911 RO, a 1911 RO Operator 9mm, a Hellcat, a 911, and a Saint Victor rifle. Of these five, exactly one, the late 2018-production date RO in 45, have been anywhere near functional from the factory. The 9mm RO Operator won't even consider feeding JHP ammo, fails to go into battery with FMJ about 1-2 rounds out of every magazine, and the sights are regulated 6-8" high at 25 yards. The Hellcat was a jamming POS with a horrible trigger. The 911 would not shoot ANY 9mm of any profile reliably or accurately. The Saint Victor came out of the box with the castle nut completely loose, and shot 4-5" patterns at 25 yards, from the prone on a sled (verified by three different shooters). They all went back to SA under warranty, and all were deemed to be "in spec" and returned allegedly with no repairs. I sold all except the Operator at a hard loss with full disclosure of the issues I'd been having.

The 2018ish RO is generally OK - been reliable through semi-significant abuse, but the trigger is "meh" at best, and the accuracy is definitely not up to snuff for what I expect 1911s to be capable of (definitely less accurate than my DW CCO).

At this point, if I won a Springfield, I would give it to someone I REALLY disliked. I'm completely done with them - life is too short to deal with shitty guns.

I recognize that there are plenty of folks who have had good results with Springer 1911s, but I'm not one of them. Given that this is a rebranded "MilSpec" with better sights, and the "MilSpec" series was never known for quality of materials and construction, I'd give this a hard pass.
    Sounds like you're contradicting your self. You start with saying your RO is ok except the trigger and accuracy isn't as good as a gun twice as expensive. Then say you haven't had good results with their 1911s. A 9mm 1911 is pretty hard for any company to get right 100% of the time so anytime one is bought, that should be understood.

Their milspecs have always been one of the best buys out there. They've never been known for poor quality or materials.

In the last 20+ years I've owned 5 Springfields 1911s. The first one a milspec when I was 16. I spent the 2 years prior to my enlistment shooting 3days per week at a local indoor range and ipsc every other week if it didn't interfere with my wrestling, powerlifting, or hunting schedule.

Then a stainless loaded champion, a loaded, a MC operator, and a LW champion operator. I'm down to just a loaded and the LW operator. They all had been shot and carried a lot. That stainless champion even went swimming a few times and worked just fine after freezing solid enough I couldn't rack the slide.

I have had less issues with them than Glocks or Berettas.

The Garrison seems like a blued Loaded with a single side safety and no forward serrations.

I've been looking at grabbing a milspec to pick up for my son but I'll probably grab one of these instead.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    In the last 20+ years I've owned 5 Springfields 1911s. The first one a milspec when I was 16. I spent the 2 years prior to my enlistment shooting 3days per week at a local indoor range and ipsc every other week if it didn't interfere with my wrestling, powerlifting, or hunting schedule.

Then a stainless loaded champion, a loaded, a MC operator, and a LW champion operator. I'm down to just a loaded and the LW operator. They all had been shot and carried a lot. That stainless champion even went swimming a few times and worked just fine after freezing solid enough I couldn't rack the slide.

I have had less issues with them than Glocks or Berettas.

The Garrison seems like a blued Loaded with a single side safety and no forward serrations.

I've been looking at grabbing a milspec to pick up for my son but I'll probably grab one of these instead.
    If I were in the market for a base gun, I'd be looking hard at one of these. They look pretty cool, and my RO has been a decent pistol for a base model. Just a few tweaks made it an exceptional pistol.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Sounds like you're contradicting your self. You start with saying your RO is ok except the trigger and accuracy isn't as good as a gun twice as expensive. Then say you haven't had good results with their 1911s. A 9mm 1911 is pretty hard for any company to get right 100% of the time so anytime one is bought, that should be understood.

Their milspecs have always been one of the best buys out there. They've never been known for poor quality or materials.
    Agreed. And not to pile onto @psalms144.1 who’s experience is, I’m sure, exactly how he is stating. But SA has a history of being one of the best values in 1911s. And one of the few manufacturers that custom smiths will consider for a base gun to build off of. They also have a reputation for outstanding customer service. I no longer have any of the four that I’ve had, but that’s more the fault of Dan Wesson and Colts Custom Shop than SA.

That said, seems like historically good quality shops have had newer products taking them away from their roots (Hellcat, etc, looking at you too, SIG). And the 1911 line was the only product from them i really ever considered, minus a great experience with the XDS.

User Tag List