Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Springfield “Garrison” 1911

Site Supporter
    I'm completely left handed. Years ago at a LAV class in Marana, Arizona, (maybe 2005-07 or so) I was shooting my trustee 1911. LAV was standing behind me. My 1911 locked up. My right thumb pushed the slide stop out a small bit, locking the slide. LAV explained the issue. I think because he was standing behind me he expected it to happen. He then proceeded to tell me the 1911 was an aficionado's gun, you needed to understand it, yada, yada. He wanted to know where my thumb had been when (or if) I practiced, etc. Said I'd have been killed in da streets. Finished the course with my g17. He was shooting a g19.

Shortly after that, I had all my 1911s slide stops ground short below the frame with the slide stop frame hole champered. Never had the problem again. Sort of expensive, though, because I had to re-coat the frames. And it creates problems for me in dissembling the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I'm addressing the comment about no other design would be tolerated with 1/10 the issues.

There are.
    The difference is, the market is deservedly down on the unreliable designs. Just look at people who buy Kahrs or SCCY.

I went back to my LGS again today, with all four mags. For this session, I conspicuously removed my right thumb from the slide stop, resting it on the frame below the pin but above the trigger, lightly, or actually outboard of the frame, not touching.

Name:  IMG_1291.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  60.4 KB

Result was 35 of 35 rounds lit off, no stoppages of any kind. I mean 35 rounds is not a lot, but the complete absence of issues, vs. the jam-o-matic I had yesterday, using exactly the same ammo and magazines, kind of points to the issue being me, pushing on the slide stop. Kudos to @Hambo who diagnosed the issue correctly. I would have never discovered this on my own. Thanks a bunch.

With those clouds of doubt out of the way, I shot a few B-8s, experimenting with hold. I am still figuring this out, but string 1 was 5 on 5, center of target, at 10 yards.

Name:  IMG_1293.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  39.4 KB

I did a couple 10 round runs out to 25 and got 6 on paper with the first, then for string 2 I adjusted my hold quite a bit higher and got 8 on paper. So, still some work to do.

All in all a very satisfactory day.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

I do grip hard AF, but I dunno if when shooting today I was hitting the slide stop...
    Been thinking about this. I have a dim memory of shooting yesterday with a very firm grip so that I could focus on POI=POA. Because of that, I remember now feeling a little pointy thing under my right thumb while shooting. This provided a very convenient index since my natural G34 grip is to lay my thumb along the right side of the slide. Gripping the gun as per normal I am 100% positive that I was pushing the slide stop pin inadvertently, resulting in malfunctions.

I did some Googling on 1911 slide stop issues and there is more than one thread online about lefties having issues, caused by slide stop pins sticking out from the frame. Geez this isn't something I expected, for sure; just another consequence of being wrong handed all my life.

I am pondering whether to go ahead and deal with the issue with a grip change (not, really, desirable) or grinding down the Springfield slide stop or purchasing a Wilson slide stop and grinding IT down...I dunno yet.

Isn't Bunker gonna give the gun a once over anyway? let him do it

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Isn't Bunker gonna give the gun a once over anyway? let him do it
    Yes, I drop it off next Wed. I’ll discuss it with him.

Yes, I drop it off next Wed. I’ll discuss it with him.
    Check extractor
    Clean up the trigger (if necessary)
    Trim the slide stop and make sure it clears bullets in the mag, and is profiled for easy assembly
    Fit a barrel bushing (if necessary)

the bill shouldn't be big

Been thinking about this. I have a dim memory of shooting yesterday with a very firm grip so that I could focus on POI=POA. Because of that, I remember now feeling a little pointy thing under my right thumb while shooting. This provided a very convenient index since my natural G34 grip is to lay my thumb along the right side of the slide. Gripping the gun as per normal I am 100% positive that I was pushing the slide stop pin inadvertently, resulting in malfunctions.

I did some Googling on 1911 slide stop issues and there is more than one thread online about lefties having issues, caused by slide stop pins sticking out from the frame. Geez this isn't something I expected, for sure; just another consequence of being wrong handed all my life.

I am pondering whether to go ahead and deal with the issue with a grip change (not, really, desirable) or grinding down the Springfield slide stop or purchasing a Wilson slide stop and grinding IT down...I dunno yet.
    Just buy a Caspian receiver designed for left handed shooters and have Springfield fit your Garrison slide onto it. Then have Springfield spec the hybrid gun like the mighty Delta 1911.

A man can dream....

https://www.caspianarms.com/receiver...iver-stainless

Back when the custom shop was a thing. You could get the fbi mod or some shit. Was basically a trimmed end and I think the frame was beveled around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    Back when the custom shop was a thing. You could get the fbi mod or some shit. Was basically a trimmed end and I think the frame was beveled around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah the Professional models still come that way.

User Tag List