Thread: Springfield “Garrison” 1911

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Pics up!

Attachment 85614
    Attachment 85615
    Attachment 85616
    Attachment 85619
    Attachment 85620

Disconnector and rail (hammer does look like MIM)
    Attachment 85617
    Attachment 85618

Pinned(?) ejector
    Attachment 85621

Feed ramp, trigger bow, mag catch (mags are sticky going in and out, may need to adjust catch)
    Attachment 85622

Plunger tube attachment (can't tell if it's staked or glued)
    Attachment 85623

I've been very tempted to pick one of these up, and swap in some Harrison 'retro' parts to make a poor man's Dan Wesson A2( now that DW discontinued that model, and prices skyrocketed).

But I still go back and forth on it, as I have had a bad(but limited) history with 1911s.

Totally agree that the hammer needs to go-the OEM one just looks wrong to my aesthetic sensibilities; Harrison would be a great choice. Great report-thanks.

Best, Jon

First seven shots of the day (and first ever with Mr. Garrison). 15 yards, the top one is a called flyer. Probably better than I can shoot my glocks and almost as good as my 92. I put 100 rounds of 230 grain magtech through it without issue. I agree the safety is a little mushy when turning it off. Otherwise I'm completely happy with it so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My days of full house .45 appear to be over but if they bring these out in .38 Super I may not be able to resist. Or at least a 9 so I can do a barrel swap.
    I haven’t even been able to hit the range since picking up the .45 version and this morning I see this:

NEW: SPRINGFIELD ARMORY GARRISON 1911 IN 9MM
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

A 10-8 hammer would look great. You get the benefits of modern metals and the looks of the classic hammers. I want one for my Trp if they are ever back in stock. And he has them setup to match egw sears so not much smithing involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally got to hit the range and break in the Garrison. 55-60 rounds total of various 230gr and 185gr ball with no problems EXCEPT it won't reliably lock back on Wilson mags (not sure which model). Locks back every single time with the GI style SA mag but rarely with the WC.

First 7 rounds, ~10 yards offhand

Name:  IMG_5404.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  54.1 KB

On round number 4, as Chuck P would say, the flinchies came for a visit and we made a trip to Shanksville.

The only thing that really stuck out to me was it felt like it's sprung very heavy. Maybe it's just tight and I simply need another 450+ rounds through it but it feels like it's moving slower than my other .45 Govts. I have no idea what SA is using for sring weights so I may order some standard weight springs (19/23?) when I get ready to swap out the hammer, grip screws, etc. And it needs a magwell.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Finally got to hit the range and break in the Garrison. 55-60 rounds total of various 230gr and 185gr ball with no problems EXCEPT it won't reliably lock back on Wilson mags (not sure which model). Locks back every single time with the GI style SA mag but rarely with the WC.

First 7 rounds, ~10 yards offhand

Name:  IMG_5404.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  54.1 KB

On round number 4, as Chuck P would say, the flinchies came for a visit and we made a trip to Shanksville.

The only thing that really stuck out to me was it felt like it's sprung very heavy. Maybe it's just tight and I simply need another 450+ rounds through it but it feels like it's moving slower than my other .45 Govts. I have no idea what SA is using for sring weights so I may order some standard weight springs (19/23?) when I get ready to swap out the hammer, grip screws, etc. And it needs a magwell.
    If I recall correctly, when I got my professional many moons ago and when I got my TRP 2.5 yrs ago, both had 18.5# recoil springs.

Thanks, I’ll probably try several weights so I’ll add them to the list.

Site Supporter
    Thanks, I’ll probably try several weights so I’ll add them to the list.
    In a Primary and Secondary modcast, Joe Chambers recommended a 23 lb mainspring and 18.5 lb recoil spring from Sprinco for 5 in guns in .45. I have been using this combination in my Colt as well as following his advice for 9mm 5 in (20/13) and have nothing but good experiences with them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O_NrooMVMms&t=16613s

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    In a Primary and Secondary modcast, Joe Chambers recommended a 23 lb mainspring and 18.5 lb recoil spring from Sprinco for 5 in guns in .45. I have been using this combination in my Colt as well as following his advice for 9mm 5 in (20/13) and have nothing but good experiences with them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O_NrooMVMms&t=16613s
    That was the recommendation when I was into 1911s back in the 80s and 90s. It's what I have in my Series 70 Gubmint Model that I bought in '83.

User Tag List