Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Springfield “Garrison” 1911

Nice work RJ.
    Very clean install.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    ...which got installed today. Shown along with the rewickered front (drilled, cleaned, drop of Testor's White Enamel) sight. I like the sight picture, rear notch is a U, 0.140", and the front is 0.125". Picked the rear in stock height, 0.325", will verify poi v poa at the range soon, but don't expect it to change.
    Nice job, it's a big improvement IMO.

...will verify poi v poa at the range soon, but don't expect it to change.
    Thought I would swing back, now I have had a couple range sessions since my last update.

I fitted on the tang of the Grip Safety. My percent engagement went from 72% to 44%, so I quit at that point.

Out of an abundance of caution I installed four Wilson 500SK-8HD Flat-wire spring/follower kits in my ETM mags (hey they were on sale for Father's Day.)

It occurred to me that I had never used full size grips with my Short Pad trigger. So to try this setup out inexpensively, I ordered a couple plain brown nylon GI grips off eBay. $7.95 plus shipping. While I was in there, I replaced the bushings and screws with Challis parts, and touched up the frame underneath, as it had gotten rubbed a bit. I used both bushing and grip O-rings from Challis. I torqued them per Challis' numbers, I don't think they are going anywhere. And actually I kind of like the plain and simple look. The grips worked well at the range today, so I will most likely just leave them on.

Name:  IMG_2849.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  102.9 KB

After getting the gun cleaned today, I took 4 strokes on the axle of the thumb safety. Operation after putting in the new, Wilson plunger assy was getting into the "wow, this is hard" category. I have it back now to "firm but manageable". I will stop there.

Naturally this required removal and refitment of the TS after every file stroke, so I had to cast around for a convenient tool to winkle the left piece of the TS up and out. Good thing I had that Medium Rare steak at Longhorn last week.

Name:  IMG_2853.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  70.9 KB

Gun is at 750 rounds, exactly. Zero malfunctions or stoppages, and none since I did all that work on the Feedway stuff in March/April. Today I shot The Test for a decent score, for me, of 88-2X with 10/10 on paper. Looking at all the targets lately, the gun may still shoot a bit of a 6 o'clock hold, but it is hard for me to break my habit of shooting the dot.

If the hammer is cocked back, the thumb safety should be easy to wiggle out without a tool.

steak, brew and 1911s.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    If the hammer is cocked back, the thumb safety should be easy to wiggle out without a tool.
    I’m aware of that.

Picture was taken for a joke only, but perhaps it didn’t work in this case.

I’m aware of that.

Picture was taken for a joke only, but perhaps it didn’t work in this case.
    That's not on you, Brother. I'm quite short when it comes to catching jokes

Those look nice. I like ‘em.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell -

GO ARMY, BEAT NAVY!!!!

Name:  IMG_2853.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  70.9 KB
    The rails can't be as rough as they look in the photo...can they?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    The rails can't be as rough as they look in the photo...can they?
    Yep.

Beats me, I just shoot it. 750 rounds to date.

ETA: When I got it last July, slide to frame was pretty rough. The slide would not fall off the bare frame under it's own weight, at all. I worked it with Flitz until it did. It's pretty easy to fall now. Could be I did what you see in the photo, I guess; I only have this sample of one 1911 to go by.

User Tag List