Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: Springfield “Garrison” 1911

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Which I finally got around to today. Tested the same Mag (A) with the same box of Ammo (Federal GMM 185) and had the same malfunction on Repetition 2 of the slide release series. I gave up on that mag. I did some runs of some other metrics, and all I shot (today 52 rounds) fed as per normal, shooting. I did not use Mag A, just stuck it in the range bag.

I dunno if I'll buy any more of this; it shoots ok but for pins I think either the Federal Hi-Shok or HST would do just as well accuracy wise and 230 is going to have more momentum (MxV).

Interesting experiment though.
    I don't remember exactly what you've replaced with this gun, but have you thought about trying the EGW high magazine catch? Might change the results of your gun's performance on Hilton's feedway test...

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I don't remember exactly what you've replaced with this gun, but have you thought about trying the EGW high magazine catch? Might change the results of your gun's performance on Hilton's feedway test...
    Yes, I have one in the gun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Yes, I have one in the gun.
    Ah, moot point then I suppose. I have guns with and without them and find they pair really well with a magazine with hybrid style lips.

The slow feed test is an interesting test from Hilton and the guy has probably forgotten a lot about more about 1911s than I'll ever learn...I just don't get much from it. I've been more than satisfied with guns that failed that test but still run 230gr GDHP and HST +P.

Certainly it would be a problem if the gun failed his extractor or slide lock test.

He's got his reasons for that test and I still use his extractor test and slide lock test as the biggest barometer of whether I trust a gun to run a specific type of JHP.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Ah, moot point then I suppose. I have guns with and without them and find they pair really well with a magazine with hybrid style lips.

The slow feed test is an interesting test from Hilton and the guy has probably forgotten a lot about more about 1911s than I'll ever learn...I just don't get much from it. I've been more than satisfied with guns that failed that test but still run 230gr GDHP and HST +P.

Certainly it would be a problem if the gun failed his extractor or slide lock test.

He's got his reasons for that test and I still use his extractor test and slide lock test as the biggest barometer of whether I trust a gun to run a specific type of JHP.
    I appreciate the input.

It appears only with this magazine, and only during this test protocol. I only have 6 rounds of GMM left anyway, which I ended up with because I just stuffed Mag A into a pocket after it failed the second test rep. I’m not too worried about it. Thanks though!

Site Supporter
    FWIW the shorter 185 gr SWCs have always had a rep as a round that can choke up an otherwise reliable gun.

Also, can I just say it's been dope as hell watching you go from 1911 newbie picking up a store bought entry level gun and putting in some well thought ought mods and maintenance to get it running JHP reliably.

Bravo dude.

Nice to see they've added 4.25” models for everything in the line.

They fuck around and add a railed model (and, ideally, a lightweight 4.25) and I might need 4 new guns!

Name:  IMG_0851.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  28.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0852.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  29.0 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

They fuck around and add a railed model (and, ideally, a lightweight 4.25) and I might need 4 new guns!
    The new TRP lineup includes railed lightweight Commanders. But they are bobtailed whereas the steel non-railed Commander is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    The new TRP lineup includes railed lightweight Commanders. But they are bobtailed whereas the steel non-railed Commander is not.
    My goal, at various stages over the years, has been to assemble an otherwise identical set of pistols which include:
    • 4.25" non-railed aluminum frame .45 for carry (maybe 2, one to use one to lose)
    • 5" steel frame with rail .45 for home (maybe two, one for bedroom one for office)
    • (2) 9mm steel frame for gaming/training classes (these days, likely that at least one of the two would get an optic)
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

Name:  IMG_0851.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  28.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0852.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  29.0 KB
    Thanks for pointing this out. We've been quite happy with my wife's blued Garrison, I may have to give this a year or so to shake out any issues and then add it to her collection next Valentine's Day.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Aww shucks. I hate bobtail guns.

I'd love a lw commander with no rail and ramped barrel. Preferably with a checkered front strap
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

User Tag List