Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Springfield “Garrison” 1911

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Thanks, I'm sure you are right, those are good pictures. Which is the HST? The left one?

Anyway, I found some change down the back of the couch, so I ordered a box to try along with moar AE from TargetSportsUSA. $0.80 a round I might be able to handle, if it runs. We'll see how this goes.
    Attachment 102536
    Yes HST is on the left, the ogive looks a little more tapered and less round if that makes sense. Also the hollow point opening is a little more rounded on the HST whereas the Hi-Shok has almost sharp edges. FWIW I’ve been carrying HSTs in 1911s for 7 years and it’s one round I’ve never had an issue with in any of my guns.

As LE and an instructor, we teach not to reload the same round over and over as bullet push or set back will occur, no matter the gun.

I was always under the impression that case cannelure was to minimize bullet set back.

Remembering ammo back from the 80s, the case cannelure was heavy.

the round you posted a picture of, the indentation around the case belong the bullet is a poor representation of what case cannelure used to be.

quantity over quality

I download and reload my duty carry MCOP a lot. before I reload, the loose round that came from the chamber will be placed in another mag after I strip 2 or 3 off.

about every quarter, (unless I went to shoot and my mags got dirty/wet), I will strip my mags down to clean them. the rounds get mixed up.

I shoot my duty ammo every year, sometimes twice. Quals are next week YAY!

230 Gold Dot
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    As LE and an instructor, we teach not to reload the same round over and over as bullet push or set back will occur, no matter the gun.

I was always under the impression that case cannelure was to minimize bullet set back.

Remembering ammo back from the 80s, the case cannelure was heavy.

the round you posted a picture of, the indentation around the case belong the bullet is a poor representation of what case cannelure used to be.

quantity over quality

I download and reload my duty carry MCOP a lot. before I reload, the loose round that came from the chamber will be placed in another mag after I strip 2 or 3 off.

about every quarter, (unless I went to shoot and my mags got dirty/wet), I will strip my mags down to clean them. the rounds get mixed up.

I shoot my duty ammo every year, sometimes twice. Quals are next week YAY!

230 Gold Dot
    For me, one of the advantages of having dedicated training and carry guns is, the carry gun rarely gets unloaded. So, bullet set back isn't an issue. I typically cycle rounds out for chewed up case rims rather than bullet set back.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    For me, one of the advantages of having dedicated training and carry guns is, the carry gun rarely gets unloaded. So, bullet set back isn't an issue. I typically cycle rounds out for chewed up case rims rather than bullet set back.
    I tried to go that route but ran into issues.

The dept I work for ended up with a MCOP through the disposal of property. It was issued to me (since I am the lone .45)

Everything was going well, and I wanted to shoot it a lot before I put it on the street. I bent the shit out of the extractor (it was not fitted) and destined to fail, however the pistol ran when I got it, so I kept pumping rounds through it.

Since it's not my property, I had to go through some red tape to get an ffffn extractor and FPS purchased for this.

I got WCBP components, and this was the hardest extractor install I have ever done. It was hitting brass (the reason the first one failed) and a smith told me the extractor was too long and needed to be set back. So, either the 2005 MCOP had something out of spec, or the WC extractor was out of spec. Here comes the red tape again to get another. To set the extractor back is out of my abilities and time. So, I kept working with it and I got it running but pretty much parked it as the factory trigger press developed a horrible hitch. I parked it as a spare dry fire unit (I put some old WC trigger components I had laying around to clean up the hitch). I won't use it for duty.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    I tried to go that route but ran into issues.

The dept I work for ended up with a MCOP through the disposal of property. It was issued to me (since I am the lone .45)

Everything was going well, and I wanted to shoot it a lot before I put it on the street. I bent the shit out of the extractor (it was not fitted) and destined to fail, however the pistol ran when I got it, so I kept pumping rounds through it.

Since it's not my property, I had to go through some red tape to get an ffffn extractor and FPS purchased for this.

I got WCBP components, and this was the hardest extractor install I have ever done. It was hitting brass (the reason the first one failed) and a smith told me the extractor was too long and needed to be set back. So, either the 2005 MCOP had something out of spec, or the WC extractor was out of spec. Here comes the red tape again to get another. To set the extractor back is out of my abilities and time. So, I kept working with it and I got it running but pretty much parked it as the factory trigger press developed a horrible hitch. I parked it as a spare dry fire unit (I put some old WC trigger components I had laying around to clean up the hitch). I won't use it for duty.
    I remember you documenting your heartache with that gun. That has to be beyond frustrating. The gun problems wouldn't be a hard fix, but the bureaucracy sounds nose bleed inducing. I've used Wilson extractors for years without issue. Two within the last year, in fact. You never know when the tolerance Fairey's going to show up.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I can certainly look at that, albeit I have almost zip for experience in what should be correct tension other than what I've read.

I replaced the SA extractor fairly early on (Nov 22). From my log: Installed WC BP Extractor. NB: SA Firing Pin Stop loose to fit; very imprecise. New WC extractor has wider hook. Tested with snap camp, retention under hook is much more positive. No tuning performed on Extractor, installed box stock out of package. Used Dawson tool.

I'm not hopeful since I don't have the skill or experience to fiddle with it a whole lot. Leaving it be and shooting FMJ seems like a more reliable plan at the moment. Of course I have 300 rounds of Hi-Shok I can play with now, so I got that going for me.
    RJ,

Takes time to do it. I've milled a couple of extractors in the learning process. And I've definitely over tensioned them before. Hesitation during feeding and excessive set back of the bullet since it crashes into the feed ramp.

Try this https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Hope that works.

Sent from my SM-A536U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shorikid View Post
    RJ,

Takes time to do it. I've milled a couple of extractors in the learning process. And I've definitely over tensioned them before. Hesitation during feeding and excessive set back of the bullet since it crashes into the feed ramp.

Try this https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Hope that works.

Excellent, thanks. I will head down that rabbit hole. Back in a while.

Excellent, thanks. I will head down that rabbit hole. Back in a while.
    Good luck RJ. Extractor fitting/tension is something every 1911 owner needs to at least try their hand at.

I am looking for options to replace the original front sight on my SA Garrison. It's currently a steel white dot, 0.180" tall x 0.125" wide sight, with a 60 degree dovetail. I found a white/tritium sight by Dawson that seems to fit the bill:

Name:  Screenshot from 2023-06-08 05-44-17.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  30.7 KB

Any other good options out there for a SA front dovetail? I'm ok with white but would prefer orange due to my eyesight picking it up better. I like the Trijicon HD set, but they seem to be Novak cut (65 degree?) and at $170 for a set, are a bit spendy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorikid View Post
    Good luck RJ. Extractor fitting/tension is something every 1911 owner needs to at least try their hand at.

I did want to say thanks for the reference info.

For anyone else interested, what I ended up doing was numerically measure the extractor tension using my Lyman digital trigger gauge on a spent .45 cartridge wedged in under the rim. I connected the gauge and case rim with a short length of dental floss, allowing me to pull the case out. The average of the first three pulls was 51 oz. I loosened Extractor in a vise. The average of the next three pulls was 29 oz.

Weigand sells a extractor deflection tool, and in his instructions he lists ideal tension on a gauge as 25-28 oz. Since I got 29, I concluded it was "close enough" and stopped there. Subjectively the "feel" of a case placed in the slide seems to match all the online videos I see using the "shake" test.

Name:  mar06.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  89.1 KB

User Tag List