Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Springfield “Garrison” 1911

Forgot to add picture of setback. Cartridge at right, chambered 15 times. Cartridge at left, out of the box.
    Name:  IMG_2150.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  36.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Forgot to add picture of setback. Cartridge at right, chambered 15 times. Cartridge at left, out of the box.
    Name:  IMG_2150.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  36.4 KB
    Hmm. That’s… noticeable.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    @RJ - I'm a little surprised you are having trouble with hollow points feeding in your Garrison. I favor HST for my guns and it runs fine in both the 45s and the 9mms.

I think I have a few hundred rounds of the Hi-Shok ammo around somewhere -- I think I will load some mags with it for my next range trip to see if my Springfield 45s have any trouble with it. One is a Professional Operator and I don't expect it to have any issues, but the other is just a production Operator. It feeds HST fine but I'll let you know if it does okay with the Hi-Shok stuff. Isn't Hi-Shok pretty close to the old Hydra-Shok only without the center post in the bullet?

For purposes of comparison, I took this picture of the current ammo I have in my box.

Name:  IMG_2158.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  55.8 KB

From left to right, 1 through 4, they are: (Price is per round I paid)

1 - S&B 45 Auto, #SB45A 230 FMJ ($0.48)
    2 - Federal Hi-Shok #45D , 230 JHP ($0.55)
    3 - Hornady Custom 45 Auto+p 230 gr XTP #9096 ($1.45)
    4 - .45 ACP 250 Berry FP/TMJ 7.1 grains Accurite#5 (Birthday gift from my son, who has a Dillon )

As above, the only cartridge I have had issues with is the Federal (#2). Albeit I did not shoot much of the Hornady as it made my wallet squeal, 20 rounds of it worked fine (pretty zippy it was, too). I've only shot about 5 of the reloads, will have to do that again. The S&B I maybe have 150 rounds with, no issues. Hmmmm.
    Last edited by RJ; 03-14-2023 at 03:32 PM.

The Hi-Shock runs ok in my warmed over Colt, and prints decent groups at 25y. Though nothing spectacular despite all of the accuracy claims (though honestly there’s a chance it was me as I don’t shoot rested ever).

5 @ 25y
    Name:  22399D56-1BAA-46FB-9D43-A283D848DA53.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  35.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    @RJ - I'm a little surprised you are having trouble with hollow points feeding in your Garrison. I favor HST for my guns and it runs fine in both the 45s and the 9mms.

I think I have a few hundred rounds of the Hi-Shok ammo around somewhere -- I think I will load some mags with it for my next range trip to see if my Springfield 45s have any trouble with it. One is a Professional Operator and I don't expect it to have any issues, but the other is just a production Operator. It feeds HST fine but I'll let you know if it does okay with the Hi-Shok stuff. Isn't Hi-Shok pretty close to the old Hydra-Shok only without the center post in the bullet?
    Hey thanks, I appreciate it. Be interesting to compare.

So I went on the Federal web site and downloaded an image of the Federal Personal Defense HST P45HST2S cartridge, and did a graphical comparison with my drawing tool by eye of the visible bullet dimensions. The red arrow dimension lines are identical, and overlaid on the HST (Far left) and Hi-Shok (middle round of three, right hand side in picture).

I mean, I don't have an actual HST round to inspect, but it looks like the ogive profile of the Federal HP rounds are about the same? Meaning whatever is causing the thump/KERCHUNK during feed operation with the Hi Shok is probably going to happen with the HST? I suspicion it is the wide case mouth of the bullet's hollow point area, which is contacting the feedway, stopping the round from going in. I dunno.

At least I don't think for me it's worth the expense of purchasing HST rounds (last priced $0.96 a round from Lucky Gunner Dec '22), strictly to vet for a competition. "Juice not worth the squeeze" and all that. I'm obviously not saying the HST isn't a verified and respected self-defense round, it just doesn't make any sense to me to spend the money, when I can go back to Federal American Eagle 230 ball and not have this problem, and get on with working on shot placement.

As a footnote, I am running what most consider reference grade magazines; Wilson Combat 7 round #47 (the 47C with steel basepad) and 8 round Elite Tactical Mags, and Chip McCormick Railed Power Mags. My stoppages don't seem tied to any of these magazines, I've had these malfunctions with each. Recall the previous malfunctions I had with Winchester READY flat nose bullet were almost exactly the same; 3 feedway stoppages in a box of 50 rounds.

I do have to say though oddly I'm getting a kick out of going on this journey of ammo selection, as I find this stuff interesting. And it's a large part of why I bought a 1911 in the first place, to learn about this stuff.

Name:  Screenshot from 2023-03-15 07-16-11.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  52.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Hey thanks, I appreciate it. Be interesting to compare.

So I went on the Federal web site and downloaded an image of the Federal Personal Defense HST P45HST2S cartridge, and did a graphical comparison with my drawing tool by eye of the visible bullet dimensions. The red arrow dimension lines are identical, and overlaid on the HST (Far left) and Hi-Shok (middle round of three, right hand side in picture).

I mean, I don't have an actual HST round to inspect, but it looks like the ogive profile of the Federal HP rounds are about the same? Meaning whatever is causing the thump/KERCHUNK during feed operation with the Hi Shok is probably going to happen with the HST? I suspicion it is the wide case mouth of the bullet's hollow point area, which is contacting the feedway, stopping the round from going in. I dunno.

At least I don't think for me it's worth the expense of purchasing HST rounds (last priced $0.96 a round from Lucky Gunner Dec '22), strictly to vet for a competition. "Juice not worth the squeeze" and all that. I'm obviously not saying the HST isn't a verified and respected self-defense round, it just doesn't make any sense to me to spend the money, when I can go back to Federal American Eagle 230 ball and not have this problem, and get on with working on shot placement.

As a footnote, I am running what most consider reference grade magazines; Wilson Combat 7 round #47 (the 47C with steel basepad) and 8 round Elite Tactical Mags, and Chip McCormick Railed Power Mags. My stoppages don't seem tied to any of these magazines, I've had these malfunctions with each. Recall the previous malfunctions I had with Winchester READY flat nose bullet were almost exactly the same; 3 feedway stoppages in a box of 50 rounds.

I do have to say though oddly I'm getting a kick out of going on this journey of ammo selection, as I find this stuff interesting. And it's a large part of why I bought a 1911 in the first place, to learn about this stuff.

Name:  Screenshot from 2023-03-15 07-16-11.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  52.3 KB
    How is the extractor tension and profile? I've had too much tension/deflection cause some hesitation in feeding. Certain hollowpoints being worse than ball ammo in all cases.

Sent from my SM-A536U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shorikid View Post
    How is the extractor tension and profile? I've had too much tension/deflection cause some hesitation in feeding. Certain hollowpoints being worse than ball ammo in all cases.

Sent from my SM-A536U1 using Tapatalk
    I can certainly look at that, albeit I have almost zip for experience in what should be correct tension other than what I've read.

I replaced the SA extractor fairly early on (Nov 22). From my log: Installed WC BP Extractor. NB: SA Firing Pin Stop loose to fit; very imprecise. New WC extractor has wider hook. Tested with snap camp, retention under hook is much more positive. No tuning performed on Extractor, installed box stock out of package. Used Dawson tool.

I'm not hopeful since I don't have the skill or experience to fiddle with it a whole lot. Leaving it be and shooting FMJ seems like a more reliable plan at the moment. Of course I have 300 rounds of Hi-Shok I can play with now, so I got that going for me.

@RJ

I think HST has a slightly different ogive.
    Name:  1B9EA74A-92AD-4AD9-9597-2C7F9F2361CD.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  22.6 KB
    Name:  EF029819-9F6D-4EEB-A921-E8D27DE1C5E5.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  44.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    @RJ

I think HST has a slightly different ogive.
    Thanks, I'm sure you are right, those are good pictures. Which is the HST? The left one?

Anyway, I found some change down the back of the couch, so I ordered a box to try along with moar AE from TargetSportsUSA. $0.80 a round I might be able to handle, if it runs. We'll see how this goes.
    Name:  Screenshot from 2023-03-15 13-49-15.png
Views: 232
Size:  21.1 KB

User Tag List