Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Ho's and polar bears are the only animals that don't feel the cold."

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    On the flip side, trying to talk to women can make guys stupid: https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...vely-impaired/
    Like Costanza, the perfect replies come to me an hour later.

It's kind of funny, as there's a lot of cold weather female fashion items that actually enhance the figure while covering the skin (and the various figure flaws that tend to emerge during the holiday season).
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    It's kind of funny, as there's a lot of cold weather female fashion items that actually enhance the figure while covering the skin (and the various figure flaws that tend to emerge during the holiday season).

Snatching victory from the jaws of defeat...

(I haven't woken yet.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    I did my usual superficial search and didn't see this. When I first saw the pictures, I thought "this guy is another Treadwell!" As I finished reading, I found out exactly how this guy took the pictures. Of course - a drone!

https://www.dmitrykokh.com/polar-bears
    "We are the domestic pets of a human zoo we call civilization."

Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival."

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    This is may be a strange take on this, or sound so at first at least, but personally, I think people underestimate girls like this, and don't pay sufficient respect to the stoic mindset they're actually seeing in an extremely practical application.

The temptation is to say "look at these shallow, stupid, appearance-obsessed airheads" but in fact, having known some pretty hot club stars back when my wife was a slightly-famous Montrealer and she and all her friends were models of one kind or another, I found them often to be really hard-nosed about this stuff.

They knew perfectly well that it would be cold but also that their looks were their asset and many recognized it was an asset with a shelf life, and they said stuff like "mind over matter" and "you can get used to it and it's not THAT cold." It would be twenty below, and they'd head out half naked because that's how they derived their social standing and frankly, I was impressed at how tough-minded they were. They were consciously enduring discomfort with a classically stoic outlook.

Women in their early twenties have a short window to maximize their mate selection market value. Like it or not, men rate female looks about at the top of their list of desires, and women rate male income about at the top, and this has been consistent for, approximately, ever and a day.

I make more money now than I did when I was in my early 20s. If I didn't grow a Santa beard, conceivably I'd still have some appeal to young women - I have, by their standards, pretty good money on tap. Friends of mine who recently divorced have found this, and it aligns well with a lot of what I saw when I was dealing with the Popular Slut Club de Montreal (this reference didn't exist yet and I use it jokingly - these girls were far too desirable to ruin their market value by giving anything away). Somewhat older guys with money were always around, and when it wasn't older guys with money, it was younger guys with money, or younger guys with some trait or path that made them seem likely to end up well off. I've said before - maybe here, I can't remember - that if you want to see the closest thing to clairvoyance there is, you look at women's ability to predict male success. This is a super highly honed evolutionary skill: they are often choosing mates before the peak of their success, and for the overwhelming majority of human history, choosing well meant your kids were radically more likely to survive than choosing poorly. Women, as a result, are on average fantastic predictors of male success, and the ones who get first pick are, typically speaking, the ones that have the most physical attraction for the most men.

So back to the part most of us would prefer to spend our time imagining, the half naked club stars of early 2000s Montreal...they weren't into evolutionary psychology and talking this stuff out as literally as I just did, but they were absolutely playing that game on a level that was more conscious than a lot of people would guess.

And when it came to coping with the cold, I think a lot of people could learn from their mindset; it was tough and they knew exactly what they were doing and the reality is, unless you live in one of a few EXTREMELY cold places, and I wouldn't count Montreal among them by a long shot, the amount of cold exposure you're likely to get isn't actually dangerous, it's just uncomfortable. And, as I remember one of them saying to me and I have never forgotten it because I was so thoroughly impressed at the time, "people are too worried about being comfortable all the time. I know it'll be uncomfortable and I just accept it and do what I need to do."

I'm sorry to report that I don't have a lot of photos from this era handy and can't attach a good visual representation of the subjects I'm describing. Or, at least, I definitely don't have much in digital format and I can't really risk going and spending a lot of time searching my poorly-organized Dropbox for it, because this is my work computer and I'm on a work VPN and although I don't THINK I'm monitored, still...the pictures I'd be looking through from back then would definitely be things I'd have to explain if they somehow got noticed by my employers. Downstairs I have a ton of actual photos in boxes; one day I'll go through them because there must be hundreds and hundreds of that social circle; they were constantly photographed and it was just expected. They were very much the predecessors to today's Instagram influencers, but it was harder to access that world back then so you had to be on a much higher level to be making money off that kind of stuff. It wasn't just a matter of being hot and half naked and posting pics every day and the advertisers automatically find you and so on and you get ad revenue from this established system etc. You had to have companies paying you to model their stuff in ads or on the runway or in clubs and you had to get photographed a lot by people who had to shoot on film and spend the time and money on that and so on and so on. It was a pretty elite world, in its own way. There weren't many girls yet getting paid to be hot.

Anyway, I wouldn't dismiss this stuff lightly. I think there's lessons about stoicism and mindset that a lot of people who think they're pretty switched on, could learn from this seemingly improbable source.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    The temptation is to say "look at these shallow, stupid, appearance-obsessed airheads" but...
    Well said on all points.

A lot of the comments here are probably based on incel behaviors or life in a low-quality market, as well. Dating life in small town North America is a bit different than life in metropolitan centers.

For those of you in an actual "market", the next time any of ya'll get turned down by a beautiful woman consider it might be because you're not putting in the effort she herself is and expects of a potential suitor. Next challenge beyond recognizing you're a low-quality man that needs to up his game is to not label her a bimbo as a defense mechanism for your incel lifestyle.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Well said on all points.

A lot of the comments here are probably based on incel behaviors or life in a low-quality market, as well. Dating life in small town North America is a bit different than life in metropolitan centers.

For those of you in an actual "market", the next time any of ya'll get turned down by a beautiful woman consider it might be because you're not putting in the effort she herself is and expects of a potential suitor. Next challenge beyond recognizing you're a low-quality man that needs to up his game is to not label her a bimbo as a defense mechanism for your incel lifestyle.
    Pretty harsh, dude.

But, I do agree that effort is required on both sides of the equation.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Lol, the shit I saw bouncing. Fucking retards standing in the snow in mini skirts and halter tops.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    you're a low-quality man that needs to up his game is to not label her a bimbo as a defense mechanism for your incel lifestyle.
    this is a slight tangent but since the main topic is hot, underdressed women, I don't think we're at risk of a serious derail.

I'm going to desribe about one of the most important moments in my life. I know I've told this story many times, but I can't remember if it was ever something I said here, or in what level of detail.

If you don't count the moments where I did something to stay physically alive, the moment chose the words I was about to say when I walked up to Erin for the first time, or the moment I said "hey little fella...I'm your dad" this might be the single most important moment in my entire life, and it's the only one that involved a particular realization, so if anyone out there has ever thought "that Canuck does have some worthwhile thoughts now and again" then this is maybe worth something to you, because it was a defining moment for me. It's a realization that will already be familiar to a lot of people, but only people of a certain type - although I bet PF-C leans extremely strongly towards people who learned this lesson

I had just moved back to Vancouver, this was probably 2005-6, and was working at a place that was within fairly easy bicycle distance from my house, but it was over a big bridge with a lot of elevation gain - the bridge was about a kilometer long, with an elevation gain of maybe 55-60 meters, so say just over half a mile, and something like 175 feet of elevation gain. The job was really physically demanding and I was constantly lifting up bundles of rebar, but I just needed cash to get settled and that stuff paid half decently because it was hard.

One morning I was riding my bike, a Kona Shred, up and over the bridge, when this guy on a fast road bike passed me. He looked about ten years older than me and blew by me on his lightweight, skinny-tired speed machine, and I looked at him and thought, "well, I bet he hasn't spent all week carrying bundles of rebar up to the tenth floor of a building under construction, and that bike would sure make it easier to cover ground fast, so of course he's faster than me, I'm exhausted and I have these heavy knobby tires, so yeah, I'm slower."

And then I had this moment where I felt like I slapped my own brain. I physically stopped my bike and watched him go and I realized...I have absolutely no idea what that guy does for work. For all I know, his job was to carry rebar up to the TWENTIETH floor. For all I knew, he was getting chemo and had five kids and was a single dad who'd been up all night. I had no idea what challenges he was pushing through and maybe they were way worse than mine. Sure, the light, fast bike is an advantage...but he probably has it because he's been riding to work every day for years, and in the process, you know what, he probably just got stronger cycling legs than I have. Maybe he's faster because the universe gifted him something, but maybe he's only faster because he's pushed himself harder and done this for longer and he's just fucking better than I am.

And from that moment on, every single negative thought I had about another person I saw doing something or being some way that bugged me, I would say to myself: are you just envious? Is this just a coping mechanism so you don't have to accept that other people are better than you?

And often it was, and for years afterwards I carried out a ruthless psychological campaign on that aspect of myself, because I realized just how toxic that attitude of mine was, and how much it probably held me back.

Changed my life. I never really looked at women that way; for whatever reason they were more objects of desire for me than people who were potentially threatening or challenges to my identity or however you want to look at that. I'm tall and good at making jokes so by pure genetic lottery, I have two key advantages with women and so I probably haven't had to endure the amount of rejection I might have if I had different attributes. That could be partly why I felt like I had an easier time learning lessons from successful women than successful men: I wasn't jealous, because they were on a parallel social ladder, not higher up on the same one as me. Successful men were people I interpreted as guys occupying
    higher rungs and thereby keeping me off, so I resented them and didn't learn from them easily. I wasn't an incel, I was more like an...infail. Involuntarily failing. Or maybe voluntarily failing, because it was completely my own beliefs that were holding me back.

Anyway, this is starting to sound like Tony Robbins or something, but the point is...the path to mastery begins by recognizing mastery in others, even when it's uncomfortable to do so. You find it in surprising places, including, at times, underdressed club girls.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

User Tag List