Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Shield rmsx - competition oriented sight from shield

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesrhadley1 View Post
    Only just found this thread and I am finding it super interesting.
    To be honest this is the only legit review of the rmsx I have seen all the youtube reviews seem paid for.... Not one negative comment nothing is that good.

I am looking to set up a new production optics gun for IPSC (I'm in australia) I really liked the specs of the rmsx, big widow, 8moa and very light. But I haven't seen one in the flesh.

Your comments on flicker though have me worried. So couple of questions

1. Is it suitable for competition?
    2. IF Not what would you run?
    3. Last one is the real favour, in another post you compared window area for a heap of red dots that I really liked and chance you could do the rmsx?

Thanks a heap
    Hey sorry, just saw this. If you don’t quote or @ tag me I don’t know you’re asking.

It’s reasonable for outdoor competition, not great for indoor.
    Not my favorite though.

Seems like SRO is really the only option for pistol competition on reciprocating slides but you need a sun shade option for low sun angles.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Hey sorry, just saw this. If you don’t quote or @ tag me I don’t know you’re asking.

It’s reasonable for outdoor competition, not great for indoor.
    Not my favorite though.

Seems like SRO is really the only option for pistol competition on reciprocating slides but you need a sun shade option for low sun angles.
    Ok will quote from now on!

Interested to know the down sides of the rmsx in low light is it the flickering you previously mentioned?

Sro seems to be the obvious choice lots of users at my club. Any reason you wouldnt consider a romeo 3 max/xl ? Havent seen one in aus think they are hard to get but might be able to import from europe.

Thanks again.

3. Last one is the real favour, in another post you compared window area for a heap of red dots that I really liked and chance you could do the rmsx?

Thanks a heap
    Name:  C109B52D-8C54-4614-9E89-D698BC03AFEE.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  35.1 KB

Hope this helps!

I like a tall window to be able to track dot under recoil.

Wider over taller might work better for PCC and frame mounted optics.

Wow thanks for the comparison!

The shield actually doesn't look a lot shorter and the glass definitely looks very clear. Is your main issue with it the low light performance and is that for the flickering that you mentioned earlier?

Was really hoping the rsmx was going to be a goer they are about half the price of a SRO in Australia.

PS I tried quoting you as suggested but if I do that the system seems to delete my posts?

Wow thanks for the comparison!

The shield actually doesn't look a lot shorter and the glass definitely looks very clear. Is your main issue with it the low light performance and is that for the flickering that you mentioned earlier?

Was really hoping the rsmx was going to be a goer they are about half the price of a SRO in Australia.

PS I tried quoting you as suggested but if I do that the system seems to delete my posts?
    The other thing you can do is

@JCN and it’ll tag me.

So my issue with the sight for competition may not apply to you.

I’m a fairly good shooter and one thing I really like is a very consistent dot intensity and appearance at full speed.

With a light adjusting optic, it can change brightness DURING a run and that’s distracting and requires extra processing bandwidth.

With lower intensity, the flickering interrupts my ability to track a dot smoothly.

With an SRO it’s more fluid.

But if you’re not at those speeds it may not matter.

@JCN

OK fair enough. The changing of intensity being a problem makes sense and I can see that would be a bit disconcerting.
    I'm definitely not that fast at the moment but I would like to be !

Thanks for follow up.

Hi guys though I would just post a quick update.

I bought one of these to compete with
    Name:  PXL_20221014_033237804.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  31.8 KBName:  PXL_20221014_033312441.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  29.0 KBName:  PXL_20221014_033434327.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  27.5 KB
    I did these pics because I have never seen one review for any red dot that actually measures window size and weight? ( before you ask I didn't scratch anything!)

Haven't set it up on a gun yet but my first impressions are that the glass is very clear and the 8 moa dot looks good.

Issue as JCN mentioned is that it appears that the brightness is controlled via pulse width modulation. Meaning the brighter it is the more the LED is on. The dimmer the less it is on.

You can see this quite clearly if you are outside in the sun and wiggle the glass up and down the dot makes a solid line. If you do the same thing inside it is a line with gaps. If you do it in a very dark room it is just dots.

Not sure if this is going to be an issue for me or not. I also haven't got any other dots to compare against.

Thanks

James.

User Tag List