Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optic Characteristics for an AR-15 Pistol

Optic Characteristics for an AR-15 Pistol

What are some things to consider when selecting an optic to be used on an AR-15 pistol? Narrow it down to only zero-power optics. Would a holographic sight be more advantageous than a reflex red dot? I don’t think that a prism red dot would be as functional in this application.

The optic must be useful when firing with one hand unsupported, or with one hand using a brace.

Please don’t let the thread devolve into a series of posts about why AR pistols are stupid. This thread is also NOT about the pending/possible ATF changes regarding braced pistols and SBRs.

I’m really just asking for optics advice. Thanks.

Optic Characteristics for an AR-15 Pistol

Most people don’t really have considerations along those lines, it’s really what you would prefer and works best. There is no generally accepted “holos work best for pistols” type rule. But they do work best for astigmatism so that may be a starting point. If that’s not a concern of yours, I’d probably go with a mini RDS with the Aimpoint micro mounting platform because you’re going to want it to be light if that’s how you’ll really be shooting.

Budget and specific use of the AR would also be better starting points. Do you have experience with any optics commonly mounted on an AR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't have astigmatism, thankfully. Keeping it light weight makes sense.

I have a Holosun 403 on a carbine, but I shoot that with two hands, using the stock and with a cheek weld. Different application from this.

I'd like to see what options there are under $200. Although I could go up to $300 if it makes a big difference.

I’ve settled on SIG Romeo4Ts in Reptilia mounts as my standard optic on AR and MCX pistols. They work for me on a capability, feature and cost basis. Lanbo’s having one of the versions silly cheap helped, too - I ended up with several of those. A few got 3x magnifiers.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    If you're really planning on shooting one-handed for any amount of time, you'll probably just want to go as lightweight as possible with a mini RDS. It'd be more advantageous to get a lightweight barrel and rail, since all that weight's just hanging out there trying to pull the barrel down.

A red dot or holo sight will work equally well for the way people use AR pistols effectively, I have no idea what would work well for shooting one handed, What’s the reason that “ it must be usefulone handed unsuppoerted” ? That’s about the least effective way to use it

The Holosun 507 ACSS Vulcan may have some utility here. Paired with a Scalarworks mount, it'd be about as light as you can get for an optic.

Window shopping on the web, it looks like the holographic sights are more expensive than I would like to pay.

As for why I'm interested in this, I anticipate having one arm in a sling for a while, but I would still like to have fun at the range. I'll leave it at that.

A mini reflex RDS on lightweight mount sounds like a good solution. Thanks everyone.

Another light, less expensive option - the SIG Romeo5 XDR that takes a AAA battery. One is holding up well for me on a 9mm MPX.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

RDS is my choice. No eye relief and effectively no parallax. I gave significant astigmatism and have no problem making a red dot work.

User Tag List