Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best place to pick up a reamer

Best place to pick up a reamer

I'm looking to open up some throats to a consistent 0.358.

I had great results with a guy on castboolits honing my m66 but I figure it would be cheaper to get my own reamer at this point and I think it would be within my abilities.

Brownells has a reamer but if I'm reading it correctly I'd need to get the other set of collars for it. Is there a one stop shop for the reamer I'd need without having to buy anything else?

If I remember correctly, the collars are necessary for lining up the reamer with the throats to ensure a square cut. I’m not sure if this will help or not but here is a catalog for Manson reamers. Page 7 has throat reamers with the appropriate pilots.

https://mansonreamers.files.wordpres...med-file-1.pdf

I'd go with Brownells.

Yes, that's what the collars do. You can make your own collars just by drilling with a bit as close to the reamer size possible and then reaming with the same reamer you'll be using on the gun.

Very important rule with all reamers (you probably already know): Never, NEVER turn one backwards. Even the tiniest amount. You can roll that wonderfully sharp edge right over.

And of course no Melonited/Tenifered/hard chromed surfaces, correct?

You're doing rollers? Stainless steels? Stainless with a high speed steel reamer can be scary. Use a cutting fluid and go slowly with gentle feed. It really hardly matters what fluid you use. Even water is better than nothing.

You might make yourself a set of fitted vise jaws by taking a block of wood, drilling a hole through it a few thousanths smaller in diameter than the cylinder, then cutting the block in half length-wise. Place that in the jaws of your vise and you have a non-marring fixture for your cylinder.

Site Supporter
    When I did my Model 10 3 inch conversion I rented everything I needed from www.4drentals.com. They send you what you need, use them for 7 days and ship them back. Hope this helps.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

I rented from 4D, but it didn’t open them all the way to .358, and IMO, left them too rough for cast bullets.

Reaming does not produce a round and concentric hole. The resulting surface finish is inferior to the factory roller-burnished surface. For what you will spend in tools and the cylinders you will ruin in your learning curve you are money ahead to have DougGuy do all of yours on his Sunnen hone.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    I rented from 4D, but it didn’t open them all the way to .358, and IMO, left them too rough for cast bullets.
    Hmmm, that's disconcerting

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Reaming does not produce a round and concentric hole. The resulting surface finish is inferior to the factory roller-burnished surface. For what you will spend in tools and the cylinders you will ruin in your learning curve you are money ahead to have DougGuy do all of yours on his Sunnen hone.
    Hmmm, also giving me pause...

I once opened up a redhawks throats with a wood dowel, a drill, and emory cloth. Accuracy improved and the leading stopped so I have that going for me

User Tag List