Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New To Me SIG P229 E2

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Is that because their recoil system? I always thought they had the best designed for punishment.
    Yes, the HK’s are like tanks, Russian tanks.

The SIG is good too, they can go over 100k rounds in both 40 and 357 with regular spring changes.

Site Supporter
    We actually had multiple cracked frames in my former agency's .40 226's and one 239. These were first discovered during an annual detail cleaning and inspection by agency armorers. Oddly, the problem surfaced like covid 19 (Sorry. Too soon?) We had never had an issue before and suddenly issues arose with multiple guns. We never did determine a commonality with the cracked frames which generally occurred under the grips. I considered the usage of the weapon, but milage didn't seem to be a factor.

I felt SigSauer did right by us, replacing multiples frames and pistols. While they might not have been completely truthful with us or even their local reps, they could offer no explanation.

Meanwhile the "leadership" of the firearms training unit had decided we needed to go to the FNS-9. That gun made a cracked frame 226 look like a good steak and a cold beer.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post
    Nice score! I always really liked the P229. Back when I thought .40 was the thing I ran a P229 for quite awhile because I thought it handled that round very well. I imagine with 9mm it’s even better.?
    While I agree that advancements in ballistic technology have closed any gap that existed between 9mm and .40 in the 80's and 90's, those same advancements have been applied to the .40 as well.

As an Instructor I saw first hand that if I could teach you to be a good shooter with .40, I could teach you to be a better shooter with a 9mm. And 9mm is much easier on the pistol and the shooter. That being said, if the pistol and the shooter can handle it, I think .40 shouldn't be dismissed as a option. ( That being said, I once fired 2500 .40 rounds in 5 days at an Instructor class through my issue Glock 22, not something I wanted to repeat soon).

Never shot a Sig in .40, but I can say that the 229 is very easy to shoot in 9mm. I put a few Federal 9BPLE 115gr. +P+ through it as well as 147gr. Federal HST and my reloads, and recoil was very manageable.

The above is not intended to start a caliber war/debate. I was just responding to Super 77's post, with my observations and experience. YMMV...
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Site Supporter
    My 229 Romeo 1 Pro slide arrived today. Hard to resist when the optic alone is $439 and the complete slide sights and optic are on sale for $479. I added the shroud as it's not included in the package. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. The dot is 6 MOA which in dry fire seems to work better for my eyes. Add some lube and install the barrel and recoil guide rod and spring and you're in business.

Name:  229 Optic.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  100.1 KB
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    My 229 Romeo 1 Pro slide arrived today. Hard to resist when the optic alone is $439 and the complete slide sights and optic are on sale for $479. I added the shroud as it's not included in the package. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. The dot is 6 MOA which in dry fire seems to work better for my eyes. Add some lube and install the barrel and recoil guide rod and spring and you're in business.

Name:  229KydexEDC.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  64.0 KB

I made a Kydex OWB holster to get by with until my JMCK AIWB and Palmetto Leatherworks holsters arrive.

I have a P229 (-G suffix, gov't contract) in 357Sig, originally a DAK gun. I converted it to DA/SA, and actually had it up for sale for ages...no bites. I picked up that same 229/R1P upper from Sig on sale a couple of weeks ago.

So, protip - while 40/357 Sigs need their own holster...9mm 229s will fit in P226 holsters. I have a JMCK 226 kydix AIWB holster, set up for an optic with tall sights, and the 229 with the R1P slide drops right into it as if it were made for it.

I need to buy some more mags for it in 9mm and find some time to get it to the range. I always wanted to love this 229 but couldn't; it always hit really low even from a rest, 40 or 357, at 50 feet. Like, aim at the top (that is, bisect the top of the card with the front dot, sights aligned normally) of a 3x5 and it'll just barely crease the bottom of the card, low. With the red dot on it now, that shouldn't be an issue. I have a 228 that I really like, but no optics...folded steel slide, not so easy to do. If this 229 shakes out I might wind up moving that 228 since I'll never use it at that point.

Heads up for all you P229 guys.

There's a guy over in the SIGForum classifieds selling a Pro Cut slide for $300.

I don't know anything about the seller.
    David S.

Site Supporter

My new addition to the Sig Family. 229 in .40 German Frame and Sigarms Exeter NH Slide. 2 magazines, one is a zipper mag. She's seen a few miles in a Patrolman's Holster. Won it on GB. I checked with the distributor but they didn't know what agency had it before it was traded. I'll start giving her some TLC tomorrow.
    Name:  229 .40 .jpg
Views: 520
Size:  100.8 KB

Site Supporter
    My new addition to the Sig Family. 229 in .40 German Frame and Sigarms Exeter NH Slide. 2 magazines, one is a zipper mag. She's seen a few miles in a Patrolman's Holster. Won it on GB. I checked with the distributor but they didn't know what agency had it before it was traded. I'll start giving her some TLC tomorrow.
    Name:  229 .40 .jpg
Views: 520
Size:  100.8 KB
    After some TLC.
    Name:  229 .40 After.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  59.6 KB

I replaced the factory Nite Sites with Ameriglo Tritium Front with Orange Ring and plain Black Rear. Installed the E2 grip system and stripped it down for a cleaning, inspection and lube. No real wear from firing, just typical wear and tear from being in a Patrolman's holster. 8.14 lbs. Double Action and 4.3 lbs. Single Action. I may install the SRT Trigger and SRT parts at some point to make the pull and reset the same as my E2. Slides interchange without issue. Range trip tomorrow for some live fire testing.

After some TLC.
    Name:  229 .40 After.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  59.6 KB

I replaced the factory Nite Sites with Ameriglo Tritium Front with Orange Ring and plain Black Rear. Installed the E2 grip system and stripped it down for a cleaning, inspection and lube. No real wear from firing, just typical wear and tear from being in a Patrolman's holster. 8.14 lbs. Double Action and 4.3 lbs. Single Action. I may install the SRT Trigger and SRT parts at some point to make the pull and reset the same as my E2. Slides interchange without issue. Range trip tomorrow for some live fire testing.
    I love the patina on the second 229. I recently picked up a P239 with similar origins, between ‘98 and ‘02 manufacture, looks very similar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Tag List