Thread: Mec-Gar 1911 7 round magazines

Mec-Gar 1911 7 round magazines

Due to reasons, this year almost all my shooting has been more "tactical" kind than anything else. Aside from a hundred or so rounds it's all been 9mm and .223. And for the first time ever, I've fired more rounds with a rifle (in this case my AR-15) than with any handgun - and that is despite the current ammo prices. But today, having a day off from work on such a pleasantly warm summer day, perusing P-F discussions on .45's and 1911's, and getting my vitamin D dose with a Griffin Prestige, I am feeling the pull of previously shelved projects calling me.

What originally forced me to put down the 1911 as a primary pistol was quite simply money. Not only did I lose my source of cheap(er) training ammo, magazines were taking a beating. Some of the P-F favored 8 round magazines cost over $100 each to me with all costs added in, and since at that time both me and my girlfriend were primarily shooting IPSC Single Stack, we were using quite a lot of magazines. Now, I'm unlikely to return to those days, but I would like to shoot my 1911 more than I have been lately. And since nowadays we have IDPA where one can both make due with less magazines and using 7 rounders is not the same kind of deal breaker it would have been in IPSC, a thought occurs... Why not just use 7 round magazines to maximize reliability and minimize cost?

To that end and since this specific magazine is available inexpensively, I would like to ask what your experiences using (blued) Mec-Gar 7 round magazines have been? The one I have has certainly seemed reliable, but it is a sample size of one and since my emphasis back then was on IPSC, it isn't as well used as some of my other magazines. Would be great to hear from folks who have more experience with these specific magazines before spending money on them. (You know, in the future, one of these days, once I get around to it... It wouldn't be any sort of a respectable project if I just went and did it right away, now would it? )
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Site Supporter
    My preference for 7 rounders is Check Mate mags. Never used mec gars though.

For range I also use Check Mate 7 round magazines. Been 100% in my Dan Wesson A2 and Springfield Armory Loaded. A quality mag and won't break the bank. Got about a dozen of them. Chip McCormick 8-rounders, Power Mag and Railed, are what I use. Again both have been 100% reliable in these 2 1911s. You will find everybody has their favorite magazine and ammo combo. Just stick with what works in your pistol.

https://www.topgunsupply.com/check-m...-magazine.html

User Tag List