Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New To Me SIG P229 E2

Site Supporter

New To Me SIG P229 E2

So Wednesday my LGS called to tell me my M18 was in, while we were talking I asked him if he had any TDA SIG's ? he told me he had an M11A1. I really didn't want a M11. From my research and breakingtime91's 229 thread I had decided on a P229 E2 if possible as the originals had the Short Trigger as well as the SRT parts and the E2 Grip. i stopped on my way home from work and while the 4473 was going thru I was looking thru the glass case and spotted a pristine P229. I asked to see it and when I turned it over it was an E2. The price was $200 less than the M11. I asked the owner if he would hold it for me and I picked it up today. I took both pistols to the range today to get some rounds thru them. The target photo with the P229 is 21rds. of 147gr. HST's at 20 yards. Those were the first rounds I fired through the pistol. I put 100 rds. through it to test it with my reloads. I likes 147 gr. better than 115gr. Not an exhaustive test by any means, but the range was busy. When I got home I stripped the pistol and discovered the original grease under the grip panel but the rest of the pistol was bone dry. I don't think it was fired very much if any as there was no wear in any of the usual spots. A bonus is that it fits my Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 Holster and Palmetto Leatherworks Magazine pouches that I had bought for my M18. The M18 worked great also. We all need to start our posts with.

"Hi I'm_________ And I'm A Ballistic Enabler".....

Name:  P229 E2 Target.jpg
Views: 1569
Size:  42.5 KBName:  Sig 9229 E2 Holster.jpg
Views: 1456
Size:  63.7 KB

Thanks breakingtime91
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

But how do you shoot those things with such a high bore-axis?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    But how do you shoot those things with such a high bore-axis?
    Hopefully well enough to get the job done...
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Classic SIGs. 2022’s gun of the year???
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Classic SIGs. 2022’s gun of the year???
    No, a 2022 is different.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Buh. dump. . . Tsssshhhh.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    So Wednesday my LGS called to tell me my M18 was in, while we were talking I asked him if he had any TDA SIG's ? he told me he had an M11A1. I really didn't want a M11. From my research and breakingtime91's 229 thread I had decided on a P229 E2 if possible as the originals had the Short Trigger as well as the SRT parts and the E2 Grip. i stopped on my way home from work and while the 4473 was going thru I was looking thru the glass case and spotted a pristine P229. I asked to see it and when I turned it over it was an E2. The price was $200 less than the M11. I asked the owner if he would hold it for me and I picked it up today. I took both pistols to the range today to get some rounds thru them. The target photo with the P229 is 21rds. of 147gr. HST's at 20 yards. Those were the first rounds I fired through the pistol. I put 100 rds. through it to test it with my reloads. I likes 147 gr. better than 115gr. Not an exhaustive test by any means, but the range was busy. When I got home I stripped the pistol and discovered the original grease under the grip panel but the rest of the pistol was bone dry. I don't think it was fired very much if any as there was no wear in any of the usual spots. A bonus is that it fits my Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 Holster and Palmetto Leatherworks Magazine pouches that I had bought for my M18. The M18 worked great also. We all need to start our posts with.

"Hi I'm_________ And I'm A Ballistic Enabler".....

Name:  P229 E2 Target.jpg
Views: 1569
Size:  42.5 KBName:  Sig 9229 E2 Holster.jpg
Views: 1456
Size:  63.7 KB

Thanks breakingtime91

My pleasure! I am planning on grabbing a long extractor version in the future when I find one used.. it has been the happiest I've been with a carry gun and I've tried almost all of them at this point

Cool

Very nice pistol! I may be a bit biased though. I bought a new 229 soon after they were introduced, and have owned a few since. I currently have a couple 229s. Can't defend the high bore axis. I never noticed it one way or the other. Oh my, how did any of us ever manage to survive training, or qualify using DA/SA SIGs, with that high bore axis
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock185 View Post
    Very nice pistol! I may be a bit biased though. I bought a new 229 soon after they were introduced, and have owned a few since. I currently have a couple 229s. Can't defend the high bore axis. I never noticed it one way or the other. Oh my, how did any of us ever manage to survive training, or qualify using DA/SA SIGs, with that high bore axis
    High bore axis may be overblown but IME the E2 grip sucks in actual use. It feels good in the hand but gives very poor results when actually shooting.

The factory slim grips on the top gun in your photo is much better. Unfortunately they require use of the P239 grip screws.

As much as I hate the E2 grip it was designed to address a real issue with P229’s constantly losing grip screws and frames being ruined by aluminum threads being stripped by steel steel screws.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    High bore axis may be overblown but IME the E2 grip sucks in actual use. It feels good in the hand but gives very poor results when actually shooting.

The factory slim grips on the top gun in your photo is much better. Unfortunately they require use of the P239 grip screws.

As much as I hate the E2 grip it was designed to address a real issue with P229’s constantly losing grip screws and frames being ruined by aluminum threads being stripped by steel steel screws.
    The problem I ran into the E2 grip was it is very vertical. Probably wouldn't be an issue on a short pull gun in SA mode, a 1911, like that...but a DA gun with that grip angle does NOT work for me, at all. Which is a shame because I actually really like the grip texture...

User Tag List