Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Would You Get

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    In a mag ban / 10 round state as the Glock 17/19 10 round mags are not up to Glock’s normal levels of reliability. Every else I listed has reliable 10 round mags.

Or if one wanted a manual safety. Or a DA/SA.

In those cases a G19 size gun like an M&P compact or CZ P07 is still the answer.

The HK USP Compact /P2000 is a good option too but a little outside the OP’s price range.
    Your answer is much better than mine.

You know, I started carrying in 1974. I would have killed for even half the choices we have now!

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    Your answer is much better than mine.

You know, I started carrying in 1974. I would have killed for even half the choices we have now!
    What were you carrying back then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    I wasn’t going to subscribe to this thread, but now

Name:  914EDB56-291B-4035-B10D-AF819BBD5EB6.jpeg
Views: 481
Size:  19.2 KB

In a mag ban / 10 round state as the Glock 17/19 10 round mags are not up to Glock’s normal levels of reliability. Every else I listed has reliable 10 round mags.

In those cases a G19 size gun like an M&P compact or CZ P07 is still the answer.

The HK USP Compact /P2000 is a good option too but a little outside the OP’s price range.
    Regrding the magazines, the problem has been with Glock OEM 10 rounders for the G17 and G19, particularly with hollow point bullets. However, the Magpul 10 rounders have played to some pretty decent reviews recently; I'm personally experimenting with them as a "just in case" alternative, but I haven't actually used them so I can't offer a personal empirically based review yet.

Best, Jon

Those are all excellent reasons not to go with a G19, or any Glock, period. IMNSHO another reason would be if the shooter has a trigger finger too short to reach the trigger properly without causing the web of the shooting hand to fail to line up properly behind the grip, or if, like mine does, the trigger finger drags on the frame.

I say these things as someone who carried Glocks (23 and 30) during 1999-2003 and again during 2008-2019 (17, 19, and 34).

I recommend to the original poster that he try to find someone local to him who has the knowledge, willingness, and skills to guide him through this process.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Have you shot before? Have you shot pistols before ?

Are you in a Mag capacity limited state ? (i.e. limited to 10 or 15 round magazines.)

Do you want a DA/SA pistol or a striker fired pistol ?

What size gun can you actually carry and how do you plan to carry it ?

Can you dress like a hobo or do you need to wear a tucked in polo or dress shirt for work?

A few things I can tell you without more info:

The classic answer is if you don't know what you want get a Glock 19.

You can expand that to some other G19 sized guns in your price range:

G19
    S&W M&P 2.0 compact
    SIG P320 Compact
    CZ P10 Compact
    FN 509 Compact
    SIG SP 2022
    CZ P07
    Beretta PX4 Compact
    Beretta APX Compact.

Variants of the above guns such as the Glock 26 and P320 X-Compact are also viable.

If concealment is a bigger concern, the "slim line guns" from SIG (P365/365X/365XL) and Glock (G43/43X/48) are options but be aware the price for the reduced size is they are harder to shoot effectively and can be less reliable than their full size counterparts.

Then shoot the guns and get some professional training. Be very cautious about aftermarket parts / modifications including magazines. The "fix" for many modified guns is to restore them to stock condition or return to using factory magazines.
    That is a very good synopsis for this point in time.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

I would add two things. One, try several things at a rental range, as you may find you shoot something better/prefer it. Two, don't forget used guns.
    While polymer guns tend to be cheaper new, I have found deals on used metal guns in the four hundred dollar range, prepandemic (that has had an n effect on everything.) Examples, CZ 75 P01, CZ 75 PCR, several revolvers (LCR), few 92's.

Quote Originally Posted by Rrabush View Post
    Any suggestions on what would be a good EDC 9mm. No more for 6 big ones or under ? Thanks
    Knowing only that, the trite answer is "get a Glock and be done with it". And that's "not wrong".

Manufacturer support is important. Warranty. Parts availability. Magazines -- how available are magazines? Rare and precious, or cheap enough to stock up? (Because you ought to have some extra.) How good is aftermarket support? Can you get a good holster? If it's an Every Day Carry item, it's going to be in that, and on your body, almost all the time, so that's important.

If you're just starting on this, you'll make mistakes. Join the club. Accept it, sell it off and move on.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

If I were starting fresh with no spare parts, mags, holsters, etc, I would go with a CZ P07 AIWB and call it good.

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I hit 21 I owned two guns: Colt SAA 7.5" in .45 Colt and an 8 3/8th" Smith & Wesson 29-2 .44 mag. Both non-starters for CCW of course.

I swapped the 29 for a 1911 made during the Great War that had been fully customized. Loved it but couldn't carry it at work as it was too damn big. Loved the pistol and now I was out of choices. A .38? Too small. A 9mm? Who in their right mind would carry a Luger or a Walther P38? Since there was no such thing as a hollowpoint bigger ball is better ball, obviously.

Then I discovered the Charter Arms .44 Special Bulldog. Small cap, so so quality but it was a big bore and I could carry it 24/7. Appendix inside the waistband was my thing in early '75 and I've stayed with it. Moved on from the Bulldog as soon as I Detonics came out.

That was a while back now that I think on it.

User Tag List