Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too Much Blue Loctite

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianjkeene View Post
    Thanks. The problem with the optic plate screws is that many of the holes go all the way through to the underside of the slide and are open which is the issue that I had in my PDP.
    Holes bored completely through the slide seem to be the exception rather than the rule. I suspect they did that to get as much thread engagement as possible for mounting optics.

In those cases I would put the slide on its side, try to run a little bit of a bead on the female threads towards the bottom and a bead on the fastener towards the middle, then tension the fastener.
    3/15/2016

Some of the popular debonderes are made of acetone, nitromethane, dimethylformamide or a combination thereof.

I've used acetone to soften and remove cyanoacrylates (super glue) and methacrylates (Loctite). Acetone is much cheaper than debonders.

I wouldn't fill a blind hole "one third" with Loctite. That's just asking for trouble. Remember, the guys at the Loctite lab don't have to live with the fasteners they install, day in and day out. To install any threaded fastener, just apply one thin line of Loctite along the length threads.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    I’m about to order some, but have a question…

The Loctite Threadlocker Properties Chart lists 248 as for use with “1/4-3/4” bolts”.
    Is this still the best option for tiny screws on guns and optics?

It seems that most Loctite is spec’d for large bolts.

Site Supporter
    I learned something here. I have Loctited sights on my Glocks for a while, and in the academy 23 years ago Tetra was the only approved cheaner/luber. Some habits (and bulk Purchases die hard...My loose front sight earlier this year may now be more completely explained...

pat

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I’m about to order some, but have a question…

The Loctite Threadlocker Properties Chart lists 248 as for use with “1/4-3/4” bolts”.
    Is this still the best option for tiny screws on guns and optics?

It seems that most Loctite is spec’d for large bolts.
    Strictly speaking, you are correct- but this specific Loctite formula works extremely well for optics and iron sight adjustment locking screws, all the way down to 3-40 (the microscopic Colt Python rear windage lock) in my personal experience.

I have over a dozen pistols with RDS and half of those are RMR’s, so the ability to remove the sight without stripping bolts is pretty important to me.

You want to avoid wicking on these applications, as you the op discovered, and you want the bolts secure in normal use, but you don’t want them to strip when loosening- I have found that this particular solution works best and have been using it on all my RDS mounts as well as all other fasteners (long gun light mounts, scope ring mounts) for many years now with zero issues- and not one loose or stripped fastener. Exactly zero issues.

Mind you I also always use a calibrated torque wrench and never rely on “feel” for these applications.
    Last edited by Archer1440; 12-01-2021 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Loc-Tite's advice for use on a blind hole is to fill it about 1/3 of the way up hole and then tighten the fastener.

Thanks for posting this in that main thread. I tried this on my LTT RDO slide and hopefully it's the ticket!

User Tag List