Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Determined to make AIWB work

Do not overlook appendix carry, outside the trousers. OWB, with a vertical draw angle, or a bit of a cross-draw angle, enables exploring positions, forward of the hip.

Maybe try between the belt and the trousers. This can be done with an AIWB holster.

Of course, have a look at the Phlster Enigma system. This enables carrying AIWB, totally independent of the trousers’ waistband height.

Edited to add: I, too, have struggled with AIWB, from the time I weighed 155#, to the times I went a bit over 190#, at six feet tall. The worst is when my IBS acts up, bloating my abdomen. Most success has been with revolvers, with holsters/belts that allowed some flex. Yes, a cylinder does have some width, but, the rest of a revolver is relatively slim, and nicely rounded. If the cylinder is located in my inguinal crease, a revolver can be quite comfortable.
    Last edited by Rex G; 11-29-2021 at 11:00 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I am curious why you are so determined to make AIWB work. There are so many other ways to carry.
    Those other ways of carrying are technically more comfortable, but are not as fast, not as easy to defeat the cover garment, and don’t hide nearly as well with properly done AIWB. Carrying a G19 at 3:00-3:30 can be done, but it makes me look like I have a hip goiter at best and the grip still prints enough to make me squeamish when bending or crouching.

You don't need that one magical holster or belt that somebody said was a "gamechanger" or said "it was so comfortable I forgot I was carrying". Placebo and hype sometimes get in the way of critical thinking. I've been carrying AIWB for a long time while weighing a max of 340 at 6'4" then losing down to right at 200 then stable at 220. I've used a variety of holsters and belts but here's what works BEST for me carrying a Glock 19 or 17 AIWB:

Holster - JM Custom Kydex Wing Claw 2.5 or 2.0 with PTD loops and stock or Teardrop muzzle pad. I like the full sweat guard, rounded bottom edges, and wide hole spacing compared to other holsters I've used.

Belt - Kore Essentials Western Belt (strap only) (6lb load rating) with the X7 AIWB buckle. I only wear ratchet-style belts now and this one is perfect for me. I also use the Kore Tactical Nylon (8lb load rating) but it's stiffer than necessary for AIWB. I'm done with velcro belts and the no-velcro D-Ring belt I have is nice but loosens as I wear it throughout the day.

Carry Position - 1:30ish.

If you're trying to carry at centerline and don't like it, try moving closer to the hip crease. And give it some time to get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Those other ways of carrying are technically more comfortable, but are not as fast, not as easy to defeat the cover garment, and don’t hide nearly as well with properly done AIWB. Carrying a G19 at 3:00-3:30 can be done, but it makes me look like I have a hip goiter at best and the grip still prints enough to make me squeamish when bending or crouching.
    I get it now. I am lucky that I am retired and have always worn a size too large shirt untucked. The last 20 yrs before I retired I was an auto tech. I didn't carry for most all those years, but the last two tears I did. The gun and holster stayed locked in the glovebox while I worked. So my M&P compact works fine for me at 300 in a Crossbreed holster w/ a big chamois shirt in the winter and a big cotton shirt in summer.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I get it now. I am lucky that I am retired and have always worn a size too large shirt untucked. The last 20 yrs before I retired I was an auto tech. I didn't carry for most all those years, but the last two tears I did. The gun and holster stayed locked in the glovebox while I worked. So my M&P compact works fine for me at 300 in a Crossbreed holster w/ a big chamois shirt in the winter and a big cotton shirt in summer.
    Yeah and I’m betting that you probably have the build where you can pull that sort of thing off without much problem. My torso is essentially a box affixed to two tree trunks for legs with a comfort shelf in the front and squeezable love handles on the sides. If my chest were wider than my hips, then it wouldn’t be as much of a problem. Sadly they’re not.

I am 6’4” and north of 300. I first tried AIWB a couple of years ago with some success carrying my Glock 19 in a JMCK 2.5 AIWB with FF Wilderness Tactical belt. The JMCK holster is actually for a Glock 34. Last year I swapped the standard JMCK angled pad with a Dark Star Soft Teardrop Muzzle Pad and now I can carry all day without issue. Matter of fact, last week I completed a 7 day road trip with the family traveling from Houston to Abilene to Lubbock to El Paso back to Houston and was able to carry in the car for the long driving without any discomfort and the gun was completely concealed the whole time.

The only other trick I would pass on I learned from a Craig Douglas video, for AIWB keeping the belt relatively loose is important. In standard IWB you need a tight belt but not for AIWB. That small change made a big difference but the Dark Star Pad was the true game changer for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Larry T View Post
    You don't need that one magical holster or belt that somebody said was a "gamechanger" or said "it was so comfortable I forgot I was carrying". Placebo and hype sometimes get in the way of critical thinking. I've been carrying AIWB for a long time while weighing a max of 340 at 6'4" then losing down to right at 200 then stable at 220. I've used a variety of holsters and belts but here's what works BEST for me carrying a Glock 19 or 17 AIWB:

Holster - JM Custom Kydex Wing Claw 2.5 or 2.0 with PTD loops and stock or Teardrop muzzle pad. I like the full sweat guard, rounded bottom edges, and wide hole spacing compared to other holsters I've used.

Belt - Kore Essentials Western Belt (strap only) (6lb load rating) with the X7 AIWB buckle. I only wear ratchet-style belts now and this one is perfect for me. I also use the Kore Tactical Nylon (8lb load rating) but it's stiffer than necessary for AIWB. I'm done with velcro belts and the no-velcro D-Ring belt I have is nice but loosens as I wear it throughout the day.

Carry Position - 1:30ish.

If you're trying to carry at centerline and don't like it, try moving closer to the hip crease. And give it some time to get used to it.
    THIS! I'm 6'1" 330, 42" waist. I'm carrying a G19.5 MOS with RMR and Surefire XC1 in a JM Wing Claw 2.5, PTD loops, wide spaced, small wedge pad, Wilderness Frequent Flyer Belt. I never thought I'd be able to AIWB. I tried a JM "George" gifted to me by member Duke and figured I was right. Then one day I read that the "George" was designed for a slim build, which clearly I am not. This Wing Claw is super comfortable. I've worn it for up to 4 hours at a time in the car driving (the real test, lots of things feel ok standing up).
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    THIS! I'm 6'1" 330, 42" waist. I'm carrying a G19.5 MOS with RMR and Surefire XC1 in a JM Wing Claw 2.5, PTD loops, wide spaced, small wedge pad, Wilderness Frequent Flyer Belt. I never thought I'd be able to AIWB. I tried a JM "George" gifted to me by member Duke and figured I was right. Then one day I read that the "George" was designed for a slim build, which clearly I am not. This Wing Claw is super comfortable. I've worn it for up to 4 hours at a time in the car driving (the real test, lots of things feel ok standing up).
    Yeah, George is a little bit taller than I am, and quite slim - I'm 5'10" and a little over 200#. If I had to guess, he's closer to 170#, and possibly less.

What's the longest holster you've tried?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    What's the longest holster you've tried?
    A JMCK 2.0 for a Beretta 92.

User Tag List