Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Determined to make AIWB work

Site Supporter
    I don't have any holster advice to offer, but I would strongly recommend that you get some sort of fitness tracker. After I got my Garmin I lost ~35 pounds and for just the second time in my life I am in good shape. The Garmin and a treadmill worked like magic for me.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

I just spent 3 hours working on 3 of my 4 main AIWB setups (actually 5 if you count additional holsters).

I actually put 2 holsters back to stock config. Probably the most significantly beneficial mod was finally getting rid of the razor sharp edges on the Trijicon HD rear sight. Hoping to find the just right config and getting back to carrying more often.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    What's the longest holster you've tried?
    Have you found that a longer holster sometimes aids in comfort and conceal ability.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I don't have any holster advice to offer, but I would strongly recommend that you get some sort of fitness tracker. After I got my Garmin I lost ~35 pounds and for just the second time in my life I am in good shape. The Garmin and a treadmill worked like magic for me.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
    I’m getting back into using the MyFitnessPal app to track calories and making more use of my gym membership so I’m working on that aspect as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Yeah, George is a little bit taller than I am, and quite slim - I'm 5'10" and a little over 200#. If I had to guess, he's closer to 170#, and possibly less.
    As someone who struggles to find comfort with AIWB and is on the slimmer end of the spectrum..always wondered how ‘the George’ was built.

This thread hits home with my struggles, but as mentioned I often wonder of my lack of tactical padding isn’t hindering my ability to get comfy with AIWB. Having spent some time with Glock x300 holsters (rigel) the length seems to be the way to go in this situation. Something g34 length without a light needs to happen next. I’m not a wml for concealed kinda guy but came across it second hand..wallet hurts from the struggle.

Sorry to hijack, but I quite literally feel the pain in the thread.

So how's the journey going?

I'm 5'7" and about 190 lbs. Been away from the pistol world for a minute but getting back into it. Some notes from my experience with AIWB over the past few years:

1. Get rid of the ultra-tight, ultra-rigid belts. They may be great for very slim/slender/fit guys with an absolutely flat stomach. But they often dig into the waist & hips of us 'rounder' humans, and I'm convinced that the dynamics of strapping up with an ultra-tight belt works against the heavier human frame. I've been wearing the same Saddleback Leather Tow Belt for at least the last 5 years and it's great. Enough rigidity to hold my gear well but still enough 'give' to allow enough movement to prevent digging into flesh.

2. Get a holster made for a G17 even though you're running a G19. The longer length helps to stabilize the rig and also kind of distributes the load over a larger overall contact patch of your body. The result is a more comfortable setup that resists the roll-over effect at the top of your pants/belt. Might sound hard to believe but it works.

3. Get a holster with built-in contours to the body side of the holster (a la Tenicor Velo 4) or definitely run one with add-on pads/sponges/wedges. JMCK offers great solutions here.

4. Last, experiment with different ride heights. Moving the rig up, or down, a fraction of an inch can often result in a big difference in comfort. Of course, you must balance that against the ability to reliably obtain your grip during the draw.

User Tag List