Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: F***ing verbs, how do they work?

F***ing verbs, how do they work?

Doing a whole new thread on this so no one feels singled out. I really don't mind when people make even chronic mistakes in an internet forum, but Bill Rogers did this throughout his entire book and it drove me crazy.

"Dominate" is a verb. "Dominant" is an adjective. Your hand and eyes are nouns; adjectives modify nouns. Verbs make nouns do stuff to other nouns.

You have a dominant eye and a dominant hand. BLACKHAWK! dominates the world of drop-leg holsters.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorpogo View Post
    BLACKHAWK! dominates the world of drop-leg holsters.
    A fact that makes Baby Jesus weep. He sobs uncontrolably in his manger.

If you read enough inexpensive self-published books from the Kindle store, you're going to run into a lot of writing that looks like the author didn't even bother to ask a friend to read over before he put it up for sale.

It can be frustrating.
    I don't understand what's happening, but I have a soldering iron.

Quote Originally Posted by derekb View Post
    If you read enough inexpensive self-published books from the Kindle store, you're going to run into a lot of writing that looks like the author didn't even bother to ask a friend to read over before he put it up for sale.

It can be frustrating.
    Amen to that. My love of cheap reading material and inner grammar Nazi are constantly at war.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I read a lot and have for years. I'm seeing a lot more errors now, though I'm not very adept at catching them. So if I'm seeing more, it's the tip of the iceberg.

The errors that drive me to want to smash someones fingers are ones that are stupid. This guy can't seem to find anyone who actually served in the US Army to proof read his novels:

http://www.leechild.com/

I've noticed a marked increase in poorly-written articles over the last few years. Articles that Yahoo! carries on the front page are often rife with grammatical errors and clearly have not been seen by an editor. I have commented on a few of them and have received almost universal negative feedback from other commenters and even the author, on occasion.

It's just a function of the 24/7 news paradigm of the 21st century, IMO.

I still teach my son to use proper grammar and diction, even if his peers won't appreciate it.
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

We all screw up with this stuff. I do it all the time. The problem is that we are letting the computer proof read and not a human. I saw this problem as a field training officer. One of my genius trainees was a computer genius and had a masters degree. We had an issue with his inability to handwrite police reports. I actually bent to our normal standards because this dork has had a computer since he was eight and he never wrote by hand and I knew the second he was released from training he would never handwrite a thing. With that said he would simply hit spell and grammar check when he was done with reports. I hammered him for improper use of "their" and "there", and other similar mistakes. The spell check would not catch these mistakes. Proof reading is becoming a lost art.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Perhaps we're all just "curmudgeony"* (I like to make up my own words ), but I still agree with all of you and I can regularly spot incorrect usage of then/than, there/their/they're, its/it's, etc in NYT bestsellers that have been in print for years. Critical thinking and vigilance has shifted to opinion-making and multi-tasking, hyphenated Americans and acronym-laden children

*apparently someone broke into my brain http://www.urbandictionary.com/autho...or=Curmudgeony
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

I think you will find that you're intolerance with there grammatical errors too be a futile undertaking. More likely then not, it will have know effect on how they right.

Just my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by John Ralston View Post
    I think you will find that you're intolerance with there grammatical errors too be a futile undertaking. More likely then not, it will have know effect on how they right.

Just my opinion...
    I see what you did there.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

User Tag List