Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S.L. Variant Speedloader goodness

S.L. Variant Speedloader goodness

Since most have not seen a SL Variant in real life I did two posts about them for Wheelgun Wednesday. Enjoy.

http://instagram.com/reel/CWqfGS7A0Hw/

http://instagram.com/tv/CWqgXjGgwzi/
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY $$$

I stumbled upon this (apparently created in September 2021) website, apparently selling knockoff Variants.

https://www.slvariant.com/product/k-...-38spl-357mag/

Anyone actually dealt with these people? (Seems pretty ‘sus, as the kids like to say.)

How much taller are these than comp 2s? I think my pouches would be the limited factor.

I'm honestly not a fan of the SL Variants. I had bought a few of them when they were still in limited production coming over from Germany.

If I didn't have the rounds perfectly indexed to the cylinder, the rounds would jam on the cylinder face and get misaligned within their individually sprung charge holes. I'd then have to fiddle-fuck them back into alignment for them to all align with the revolver cylinder's charge holes before I could execute the reload.

This struck me as odd given how mythical of a status the SL Variant holds among people, so I had rsa-otc try them out. He's been shooting revolvers since the 70s and at a high level, I believe between Expert and Master class depending on which way the wind blows that particular day of shooting a qualifier. I do believe I remember him shooting a FAST around 6-1/2 seconds or so with a S&W Model 64 at one of our outings. While he indexes more consistently, he found the same thing to happen and was similarly disappointed.

I'll stick with the Safariland Comp series, personally. He did as well.

Previous thread from 2012 to include his comments:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ll=1#post78966
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Got a pair of the original SL K frame units and a pair of J frame units. Mine work great, but really, I don't see much difference Vs. the Safariland comp 1 & 2 family in my practical use of them. I am certainly not any faster with the SL's and no more accurate in correctly indexing them, I don't see the release point being terribly different. The SL's are easier to prepare/fill, but once you have the feel for a Safariland comp they are not difficult to set up at all.

It takes a harder push to trip a SL than a Safariland.
    I have SL and Comp III stock and Bubbered but I think I am about as well off with a Comp II as anything. If I were shooting more SSR, I would try a Jetloader, though.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    I've got a couple of SL Variant K frame loaders and find them to be finicky. I'm sticking with Comp IIs for carry. I've got K frame Jet loaders and like them, but I carry my loaders at 1 o'clock and the knobs stick into my middle when sitting.

Maybe I’ve just been lucky. I used the 7x357 L-Frame size extensively when I carried a revolver as a duty weapon. Now I run the 44Magnum N Frame size. I’ve never had any issues with them. Truthfully I haven’t needed to adjust them either.

They are bigger than Comp I/II’s but shorter than JetLoaders.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Got a pair of the original SL K frame units and a pair of J frame units. Mine work great, but really, I don't see much difference Vs. the Safariland comp 1 & 2 family in my practical use of them. I am certainly not any faster with the SL's and no more accurate in correctly indexing them, I don't see the release point being terribly different. The SL's are easier to prepare/fill, but once you have the feel for a Safariland comp they are not difficult to set up at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    It takes a harder push to trip a SL than a Safariland.
    I have SL and Comp III stock and Bubbered but I think I am about as well off with a Comp II as anything. If I were shooting more SSR, I would try a Jetloader, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I've got a couple of SL Variant K frame loaders and find them to be finicky. I'm sticking with Comp IIs for carry. I've got K frame Jet loaders and like them, but I carry my loaders at 1 o'clock and the knobs stick into my middle when sitting.

Well, at least now I know it's not just me. I had some for a 686+ and didn't see any benefit to them over the Safariland products.

I think that part of the attraction to them is that they are not readily available.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List