Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Used Police 870's for sale

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I don't imagine that'll change, either. Agencies aren't buying shotguns anymore; any agency who wants to use 870Ps already has them, and the 870Ps last forever.

I'd danger that if anyone wants an actual 870P, buying these agency trades are the only bet. The cheap Express Tactical is a more profitable product given RemArm's consumer base which no longer includes LE agencies.
    What are agencies going to, if not the 870?

My agency uses 870P’s, for regular patrol and less lethal. They do last a long time, but eventually the slot inside the receiver where the ejector is pinned wears out after so many replacements. What’s the next best choice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post

My agency uses 870P’s, for regular patrol and less lethal. They do last a long time, but eventually the slot inside the receiver where the ejector is pinned wears out after so many replacements. What’s the next best choice?

I'm referring to the overwhelming shift from shotguns to 5.56 carbines as the default general purpose long arm, not from one shotgun to another.

I'm not well versed enough to spitball a proper replacement, but if I had to replace our 870Ps I would probably start looking at the Mossberg 590 series if a pump was mandated, Beretta 1301 if I had free reign.....and then call somebody like @TCinVA when I got home from work to talk to someone who has a clue.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post

Many agencies, including my own have dropped lethal shotguns entirely, replacing them with Carbines and SMG, in our case 11.5” M-4s and SIG MPX SMG.

Agencies retaining lethal shotguns and/or for less lethal and breaching are generally moving to the Mossberg 590 series because they are much easier to maintain and repair or moving to semi auto platforms such as the Benelli and Beretta.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    My agency still uses lethal shotguns (old, broken crappy Beretta 1201 FPs), and 870s for less lethal. Since Beretta hasn't made the 1201 for years, and our current guns aren't replaceable or fixable, we needed a solution. CA POST still mandates Shotgun for firearms training in the Academy, and not all of our folks are patrol rifle trained (the Qual is not a gimme). There was talk 18 months ago of changing the language to Long Gun from Shotgun in the POST Standards...but it didn't happen. After a lot of thought, we decided to buy additional 870s to replace our Beretta 1201s. After a few years, I got the money and sent in a Purchase Order to the vendor. A month later Remington went bankrupt. @#$% my life!

I would say the 590 is your only viable alternative for a pump, and is arguably more ergonomic. And if going semiauto.....the 1301 Tactical all the way and twice on Sunday.

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Agencies retaining lethal shotguns and/or for less lethal and breaching are generally moving to the Mossberg 590 series because they are much easier to maintain and repair or moving to semi auto platforms such as the Benelli and Beretta.
    Interesting. About the only department I have meaningful inside knowledge of (and one that still believes in the shotgun to some extent) thinks the 870s were better guns.

In any event, word is that when the time comes to replace their 590s, a semiauto will be chosen.

(...and it won't be a Mossberg)

I can only say this about the used 870P market: it makes me glad I already have mine.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    My agency still uses lethal shotguns (old, broken crappy Beretta 1201 FPs), and 870s for less lethal. Since Beretta hasn't made the 1201 for years, and our current guns aren't replaceable or fixable, we needed a solution. CA POST still mandates Shotgun for firearms training in the Academy, and not all of our folks are patrol rifle trained (the Qual is not a gimme). There was talk 18 months ago of changing the language to Long Gun from Shotgun in the POST Standards...but it didn't happen. After a lot of thought, we decided to buy additional 870s to replace our Beretta 1201s. After a few years, I got the money and sent in a Purchase Order to the vendor. A month later Remington went bankrupt. @#$% my life!

I would say the 590 is your only viable alternative for a pump, and is arguably more ergonomic. And if going semiauto.....the 1301 Tactical all the way and twice on Sunday.
    Did you end up purchasing random one-off 870Ps on the open market, batches of police trade-ins from distributors, or what? What was the outcome?

For Post_11 or anybody else interested, the Mossberg 590A1 series should be the replacement pump shotgun for any agency or person who would want to have a shotgun to replace a Remington 870. Mossberg has several models from which to choose and is still in business to support any agencies/departments.

See, the webpage for some various models, although Mossberg seems to change what they offer annually or at any time:
    https://www.mossberg.com/category/ap...y-le-shotguns/

I retired from a Mossberg shotgun using department (in CA, although prior to that department I was in a Remington 870 using department). When I first was hired, we used a 20" 9-shot bead sighted 590A1; then the new batch was still 20", but with ghost ring sights; finally the last batch were 14" with ghost ring sights. All had the Speedfeed straight stocks which held an extra 4-rounds. Apparently, Mossberg still can source and deliver with this stock, which I thought was sold to Safariland and no longer being sold (at least to the public).

I personally bought an 18" 590A1 with ghost ring sights, but I also own three Remingtons (two 870s and one 11-87P). They all work well and are similar in usage, although after 20 years of daily handling a 590A1, I suppose the Mossberg would be my first choice.

My old department also has some Colt AR15s, but budgets for the hardware and training is still tight from what I hear. The AR15s, are individually issued, whereas the 590A1s tend to be "pool" guns with only a few exceptions. The department generally doesn't allow personally-owned guns except for one's optional backup gun. I suggested allowing the LEOs be able to buy their own long guns should they want but it was just too much work or too radical an idea for them.

I still think that there is a good market for a higher quality, defensive pump action shotgun. The 590A1s have been going for crazy prices on sites like gunbroker,when they actually pop up. I have even seen some used models go for above current MSRP lately. I have not seen a garden variety 51660 (basic, bead sight 20" model) in the flesh, since the great unpleasantness began.

Due to import restrictions, the 590 A1 series really has a monopoly in this area. I would like to see RemArms bring back the 870P lineup and actually market it to civilians. They could also offer some new things like the 6 round mag tube on Police models, 13" lop conventional stocks, and a 870P version of the Tac-14. Small things like this could give the Mossberg A1 series a run for its money in terms of sales. Police trade-ins are not going to be around forever, and having a nice, out of the box, pump shotgun that does not need an upgraded finish, or other improvements, would be very appealing.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Did you end up purchasing random one-off 870Ps on the open market, batches of police trade-ins from distributors, or what? What was the outcome?
    The outcome was we didn't get shotguns. Our purchasing system is cumbersome and broken. And any orders for over $10,000 go to a city purchasing agency filled with folks who openly dislike cops, for compliance with city purchasing g requirements. We were waiting to see what happens with the new Remington, but that increasingly looks like a non-viable option. Gonna have to start the whole process over. Maybe in another 5 years they can try again.

Quote Originally Posted by JWintergreen View Post
    I still think that there is a good market for a higher quality, defensive pump action shotgun. The 590A1s have been going for crazy prices on sites like gunbroker,when they actually pop up. I have even seen some used models go for above current MSRP lately. I have not seen a garden variety 51660 (basic, bead sight 20" model) in the flesh, since the great unpleasantness began.
    I think that's mostly because you can get a basic bead sight 18.5-20" Mossberg Maverick 88 Security model for under $200 if you shop around. If you made souped up versions of the Maverick with heat shields, rifle sights, ghost rings, 1913 rails, MLOK, etc, I'll danger that it would destroy 590A1 sales....just the same as the 870 Express Tactical line ate 870P sales, since you could get all the same gizmos and gadgets for half the price.

People are mostly feature driven, not quality driven.

User Tag List