Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Used Police 870's for sale

Used Police 870's for sale

In case any of you are interested. Might make OK fixer uppers

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...paign=112321-1

Those prices have come down. But, I'm pretty happy with the 1300 I picked up for much less in the interim.

Anybody here think those are likely to be made better than the newer stuff from Remington? Any idea how old these might be from the pics? I don't know anything about 870's but I've heard the newer stuff is pretty much garbage, IDK?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    Anybody here think those are likely to be made better than the newer stuff from Remington? Any idea how old these might be from the pics? I don't know anything about 870's but I've heard the newer stuff is pretty much garbage, IDK?
    No idea how old but if they are older guns they have been updated with Flex Tab lifter and the newer Orange mag follower which is significant for serious use.

Remington 870’s are not a monolith.

Remington express guns made in the last 10-15 years have declined in quality. However, you need to keep in mind that express guns are the cheapest “Walmart” level 870s. Like I said

The 870 police guns are made via a separate production process, with higher quality parts and higher levels of finish and QC. This includes recent production police and police magnum guns.

In other words there’s a reason why one of these is $250 new and the other is generally $600 (and up) new. While it was nice to get 870 police magnums for $200 or less in the “good old days,” this ain’t the good ol days. $450 is still significantly cheaper than a new production 870 police.

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    So, I've mentioned it before but I am/was very unhappy with the QA/QC of the 300 14" 870s we spec'd and bought in '04. I haven't seen much made since then that would change my mind on it. By comparison, guns the agency in many different ways before that had almost zero problems.

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    Those prices have come down. But, I'm pretty happy with the 1300 I picked up for much less in the interim.
    Which 1300 did you get? They are out of production right?

For rifle sight shotgun fans, those 870s with 18" barrels seem pretty fair. The barrels alone are still fetching $300+

Notes/thoughts:

From Post1, it seems only the 20" 870s are left or currently in stock.

If anybody is looking at Gunbroker.com for Remington 870s, I suspect what we're seeing is new-old-stock from the old Remington company. I've yet to see anything from the current "Remarms" company (although I understand once/if we do, Remarms is allowed to use the Remington name). Hopefully, the new Remarms company will get some product shipped someday soon. I read somewhere they're also moving from NY to GA.

From the Remarms.com website, I don't see anything coming under Remington's former "Police" marked line-up.

From some amount of personal experience, I do see some finer finishing of sharp edges on my two "Police" marked models, compared to the later or final production to my Tac-14, a 14" 870-based non-NFA firearm. I'd consider my Tac-14 an "Express" level fit/finish. I've since turned my Tac-14 into a short-barrel-shotgun and also too filed down its sharp edges around the ejection port, the action release, and the receiver's forward edge, which were too sharp for my liking.

Side-note on my SBS/Tac-14. Remington had 4-round mag tubes, sometimes extended with a screw-on extension. My Tac-14 came with a 1-round extension, but the mag spring wasn't changed to account for the extra round. As the mag spring weakly fed the rounds, I've since replaced the mag spring with a 5-round spring originally cut for a Mossberg 500/590 series (old 30 coils vs 35 coils for 5-round).

Also, I noticed many (hopefully) forthcoming 870 Express models will have a 6-round mag tube instead of the older-school 4-round tube; just something to consider or watch for.

Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    From the Remarms.com website, I don't see anything coming under Remington's former "Police" marked line-up.
    I don't imagine that'll change, either. Agencies aren't buying shotguns anymore; any agency who wants to use 870Ps already has them, and the 870Ps last forever.

I'd danger that if anyone wants an actual 870P, buying these agency trades are the only bet. The cheap Express Tactical is a more profitable product given RemArm's consumer base which no longer includes LE agencies.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

If I was in the market for a 870 for HD, I would jump on one of the 870P Magnums in the OP's link. Older 870P are very nice tools. The flexitab upgrade once cost $125 in parts, and I have not seen the parts available for sale since Remington imploded. The wood stocks can be cleaned up and are worth dollars to many people. I bet the Parkerized finish would respond well to a good cleaning and oiling as the finish needs oil to protect the underlying steel. The trigger plates appear to be aluminum, so they are older guns. Unlike many people, I actually prefer the polymer trigger plate, but the trigger plate is a way to roughly date the gun.

As someone who was used to buying every Wingmaster, 870P, or original spec 870 SP (Parkerized metal with oil-finished walnut furniture) that cost less than $300, I am set for guns. The current prices are 50% more than I used to pay, but so is the price I just paid for bacon. And the 870P will last much longer than the bacon I just bought.

User Tag List