Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W Releases upgraded M&P 2.0 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Skinner Precision, LLC View Post
    When the shield plus came out, IMO, the flat face trigger was such an improvement(way more than the slightly wider frame and higher capacity) that I installed a shield plus trigger in my 1.0 sheild. The result was a much more "shootable " gun for me.

When the announcement came out about the upgraded 2.0 I was
    hoping for just as much improvement over the curved 2.0 trigger that I ordered one for myself. Fed Ex delivered it today and I am not sure what I think. The center "blade" of the safety is wider and shorter and projects more than the APEX flat face in the same picture. If you ever had trouble deactivating a APEX you probably won't with this OEM. I slipped it into the JMCK /Enigma rig i was already wearing and did 10 minutes dry fire and wasn't as wow'ed as I hoped....

I probably won't clean it /break it in till Sunday but am already somewhat resigned that it won't be as big a differs I had hoped.
    I mean, is it fair to compare it to the APEX? My father just bought a Plus to replace his old Shield, and while the trigger is nice, it isn't massively improved over the old Shield trigger IMO, and it's not as good as the FSS kit in my .45 M&P.
    But then the Shield line just seems to have better triggers than the main M&P line as the default.
    I personally like the old style trigger, especially on the SD guns. But it never hindered me on my M&Ps.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinner Precision, LLC View Post
    Have you looked at the new polymer Apex flat that is in the picture , way south of $165 if that shape works for you....
    I’ve only seen two triggers for the 2.0s on the Apex website. The flatty and the polymer/metal curved ones. They seem to be available in the $165 competition kit and the $100 carry kit, but not the shoe individually; I’d buy that in a heartbeat if it was reasonably priced. I’m not too sure on the value of the carry kit as it really doesn’t change the pull weight. Im planning on polishing the frictional points to clean the pull up.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    I mean, is it fair to compare it to the APEX? My father just bought a Plus to replace his old Shield, and while the trigger is nice, it isn't massively improved over the old Shield trigger IMO, and it's not as good as the FSS kit in my .45 M&P.
    But then the Shield line just seems to have better triggers than the main M&P line as the default.
    I personally like the old style trigger, especially on the SD guns. But it never hindered me on my M&Ps.
    I wasn't comparing it to the reset or weight of an apex trigger, only the shape. I can easily live with the weight and "hitch" in a 2.0 trigger. I don't like the curve/hinge. The mp compact in the picture below laying next to the improved model was the carry gun i was carrying yesterday and what I was comparing it to. I don't like mp hinged triggers in general but sometimes carry an m&p in spite of them. In the past, working the dot gun at speed, the feedback from the dot left me wishing it was a flatter non hinged trigger even though I was happy with the hits I got. The holosun'ed original 2.0 will get the APEX polymer upgrade.

My 1.0 shield had a trigger that was greater than 8# , before I installed a 2.0 slide i picked up cheap so I could use the original slide to proof my g code on my cnc for milling the slide for 407k. The 2.0 slide made the trigger 6#ish and liveable( which I attributed to the improved geometry of the striker block). When I got the flat trigger assembly I found the original 1.0 slide/plus trigger(no dot yet, been to busy for personal work) @ >8# to still be more manageable at speed than the 2.0/original trigger @ 6ish. The combo of a shield plus trigger/2.0 slide was a jet to props comparison to the original 1.0 stock form for the sample I have.

I was hoping for as much improvement going 2.0 to 2.0 flat faced but the dry fire work i did first thing has me doubting I see the same improvement....
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    I’ve only seen two triggers for the 2.0s on the Apex website. The flatty and the polymer/metal curved ones. They seem to be available in the $165 competition kit and the $100 carry kit, but not the shoe individually; I’d buy that in a heartbeat if it was reasonably priced. I’m not too sure on the value of the carry kit as it really doesn’t change the pull weight. Im planning on polishing the frictional points to clean the pull up.
    For a month they have had a poly flattie kit for $99 retail...I am guessing we want much of the same thing, I would have rather had the poly flattie trigger for say $50 and left the sear and springs OEM but not an option....

Lately, S&W can sell everything they make. They act like some suit decided they could eliminate their R&D department and have even better margins, because their design choices aren't very thoughtful. The CORE system, mediocre accuracy, funny trigger choices, a 10mm without a traditional sight option.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Does this mean 9mm M&Ps will no longer be able to be direct milled for optics like Holosun 509T moving forward?

I think the CORE mount situation sucks. The new 10mm would be really interesting if it could be direct milled for a closed emitter optic. Now it looks like the 9mms will have the same handicap.

Eventually some company is going to pull head from ass and offer a variety of factory direct milled footprint options for a premium price.

Sharp BUIS

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    but they need to fix the rear BUIS which is like a knife.
    Yeah, those sharp corners have put tiny holes in a couple of my thinner-fabric every day polo shirts.
    Last edited by Craig_AR; 12-28-2021 at 10:15 AM. Reason: trimmed quote
    Craig
    VCDL, ACLDN, SAF (Life), GOA, NRA (Benefactor Life), USAF Retired
    https://tinyurl.com/craig-trains

Rather than starting a new thread I figure I'll just ask here.

Do all the 2.0s have the notches cut out for the thumb safety? If you buy one without the safety, it looks like there is a notch that is either plugged or hasn't been cut out by the factory. I'm wondering if you can easily add a safety to a gun that came from the factory without one and vice versa? Is there a way to tell how it came from the factory?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Risto View Post
    Rather than starting a new thread I figure I'll just ask here.

Do all the 2.0s have the notches cut out for the thumb safety? If you buy one without the safety, it looks like there is a notch that is either plugged or hasn't been cut out by the factory. I'm wondering if you can easily add a safety to a gun that came from the factory without one and vice versa? Is there a way to tell how it came from the factory?
    Yes, all 2.0s are cut for a safety and come with plugs installed. To add a safety, you need a 1.0 or 2.0 safety which have two different profiles but are interchangeable, a safety detent spring, and the safety detent itself.

When I was looking for one, full kits were sold out everywhere, safeties and safety detent springs were very available, but I couldn't find the detent itself anywhere. Finally found a full kit after I'd already bought a lever and spring. Ended up not using it after all.

I think the only way to tell how it came from the factory, if the plugs either are or have been installed, is from calling S&W with the serial or having the box available.

Life happened (covid, work deadlines, some cold weather etc.) for the last month and I finally made it to the range to try the "improved" 2.0 vs the original. For me, the flat trigger was what I had hoped it would be but wasn't sure after dry fire alone.

25 yard runs on the bianchi plate rack, "the test " at 10 yards ran repeatedly, 1/4 scale IPSC targets at 35 yards all showed an improvement over my old 2.0 compact with the improved model.

User Tag List