Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st match.

1st match.

Saturday I took an 8hr competition class with instructor and friend Rob Epifania. Awesome class that got me primed for today, my first pistol competition. I’ve also been taking pointers from him on my dry fire via texts as well as using the Steve Anderson book.

Had an absolute blast both days. At 46, I kind of felt like I was 19 at the comp. humbled but also giddy and had so much fun.

I used my m&P 5” core. 10rd mags (that will need coils cut since it’s so hard to seat mags on a closed slide with it). Rmr. Hodge lodge or JM range holster, 10 year old battle belt I’ve never used until I started preparing, and Esstac mag pouches.

Learned so much.

I’m waiting on score but don’t expect to see my name anywhere but the bottom 25%, which is fine with me.

Looking forward to diving in and getting better.

Site Supporter
    Where and what club? Glad you had a good time. I'm always towards the bottom given I move at Geezer/Hour speed now.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Where and what club? Glad you had a good time. I'm always towards the bottom given I move at Geezer/Hour speed now.
    Westhampton Beach New York. LIPSA (Long Island Practical Shooters Association.

Private range. I’ve been a member there for a long time. Yearly dues are cheap but new presidency changed the operations. There’s no more open applications. They have comps and if they see you enough they ask you to join. If you’d been a member they grandfather you in as long as you pay yearly dues.

All these years and comps every weekend and I’ve finally joined in. I did half a tactical rifle comp like 10 years ago but that was it.

Site Supporter
    Far from me. Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Far from me. Take care.
    You too Glenn!

So I was 62nd place out of 99 lol

I am in my 4th year of idpa. I just look at the overall scores like you did. If I am in the top 1/2 I am happy. If I get into the top 1/3 I am ecstatic. Shooting like this vs standing still and hitting stationary paper is a game changer. I don't know what facilities your club has but because of idpa I have shot through every door and window of an old van, laying on my side and on my knees to shoot under a barrier, right hand only, left hand only, through a barrel, around the edge of a barrier, at moving targets, night matches w/ a light/laser, while seated, etc. As my scores show, I will never make a seal team, but I am so much better than I was 4 years ago there is no comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    So I was 62nd place out of 99 lol
    (Almost) nowhere to go but up!

I commend you for getting out there. Especially at your (our) age. I am trying to prioritize the time to get back to matches myself.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Gentlemen, my congratulations and encouragement!

“Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.”

I’ll be 69 in a matter of weeks. A few orthopedic issues, and eyes aren’t what they used to be. There was a GSSF match over in GA over the weekend and I took it in. To paraphrase Churchill-never, ever surrender! I’m planning on wheel chair comps.

Stay in the arena. Your shooting will be far ahead of your “peers”…

Something I noticed and have questions about;

I noticed my 10rd factory mags are super hard to seat on a closed slide. I can’t have 17rd so it’s not an option.

Tonight I cut 3 coils off on 2 mags. It makes it a little easier but not a ton easier. I stopped at 3 coils and thought I’d test those 2 mags next week. If it makes the gun unreliable I’ll buy 2 springs and replace them.

Is there a known fix here or is cutting coils the only way to make it easy to seat a loaded mag on a closed slide?

User Tag List