Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Waukesha WI Rampage

I've not read this whole thread, but my answer to the OP is that a defensive carry gun is not the proper response to a speeding car. The proper response is to get the hell out of the way and if possible, get others out of the way. Stopping cars with a defensive handgun is a movie trope and a macho fantasy. Apparently a cop tried it in this incident and failed. And I am not a vigilante, a LEO or a wannabe hero.

Although FWIW, my P365 is loaded with ammo that would almost certainly go through auto glass, but that was not a consideration in choosing it and it is still not a consideration after this incident. If I really wanted to shoot at cars, I would go with a .357 with Winchester Metal Piercing rounds. I don't know if they still make those, but I still have a box from back in the day.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Oregon/Washington are notorious here for having warrants extraditiable from all western states except California. Snohomish County was the worst.

Went hand in hand with what we used to call "Bus Therapy", wherein other states/cities would buy a Greyhound ticket for their problem unhoused/chemically enhanced/just plain crazy residents one way to.....San Francisco. This was a HUGE thing going on for years. Thanks, assholes.
    To be fair, a whole lot of the crap that goes on up there comes from CA in the first place. (Writing as someone who has spent most of my life living in one or the other of those places.) I'm sure they think of it as sending the problems back where they came from.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Oregon/Washington are notorious here for having warrants extraditiable from all western states except California. Snohomish County was the worst.

Went hand in hand with what we used to call "Bus Therapy", wherein other states/cities would buy a Greyhound ticket for their problem unhoused/chemically enhanced/just plain crazy residents one way to.....San Francisco. This was a HUGE thing going on for years. Thanks, assholes.
    "Chemically enhanced".

I have a new snark term. I LIKE IT!

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Yup, Clint may come off as a little rough around the edges, but there’s no denying he’s right.
    Yeah he does twist knickers of the frail..........

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    The more that comes to light about the suspect, here's how I think this will turn out:

1) This was not "domestic terrorism" in any way
    2) This was not "political" in any way (including any sort of response to the Rittenhouse trial)
    3) The suspect was not targeting the parade or anyone in the parade
    4) The suspect was fleeing a crime scene (which he may have committed) was already on bail (twice over), didn't want to get caught (see: bail x2), and was probably high AF and didn't realize what was happening until he started plowing into people.

So... much sadder and much more "random" than any sort of targeted violence.
    Apparently the killer went to a random house, rang the doorbell, went inside, and had a fucking sandwich. He was asked to leave when the homeowner got bad vibes, then came back and was arrested on the porch. That doesn’t sound like someone in a desperate flight to avoid arrest.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...2691833/%3famp

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    I've not read this whole thread, but my answer to the OP is that a defensive carry gun is not the proper response to a speeding car. The proper response is to get the hell out of the way and if possible, get others out of the way. Stopping cars with a defensive handgun is a movie trope and a macho fantasy. Apparently a cop tried it in this incident and failed. And I am not a vigilante, a LEO or a wannabe hero.
    Thank you for your insightful response.

I'll add that to verified incidents of vehicle-borne attacks being terminated by persons with pistols.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Although FWIW, my P365 is loaded with ammo that would almost certainly go through auto glass, but that was not a consideration in choosing it and it is still not a consideration after this incident. If I really wanted to shoot at cars, I would go with a .357 with Winchester Metal Piercing rounds. I don't know if they still make those, but I still have a box from back in the day.
    I’d recommend reading the rear of the thread. The context in which someone has a reasonable chance of stopping the threat here has been discussed. It wasn’t while the car is barreling towards you.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter

Going in reverse:

The .357 metal piercing rounds you refer to have not been made in decades and have been made obsolete by bonded bullets and their equivalents.

Your assumption that there is a universal response to an assault with a vehicle is incorrect. Fights / threats in the real world are what they are. Assumptions and expectations are a hinderance.

Getting out of the way is a great option for an individual or two - IF time and space permit. Hint - you won’t always have the time or space.

An individual intentionally driving a vehicle through a crowd, especially in a confined area is another matter. The progenitor of such attacks, in Nice France was stopped by …. Gunfire from police handguns.

Name:  9E2030F3-5D23-48A2-895C-022AD152140B.jpeg
Views: 265
Size:  29.9 KB

This happened to a buddy of mine:
    https://pamplinmedia.com/ttt/89-news...crash-shooting

(Details of driver’s intent misrepresented by media)
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I’d recommend reading the rear of the thread. The context in which someone has a reasonable chance of stopping the threat here has been discussed. It wasn’t while the car is barreling towards you.
    From what I can tell, my comment has been interpreted by several people to mean:

1) Stand in the way of the vehicle
    2) Mag dump with a crowd as your backstop
    3) Shoot when the car is out of control at high speed
    4) Shoot at targets you know you can't hit

I never in my life imagined that advocating the carry of ammunition capable of robust performance through intermediate barriers in case the need arises would be so controversial, but apparently a significant portion of people are soothsayers and know exactly how their gunfight will go. Regardless of the numerous people who've been using a vehicle as a weapon and had their attack terminated by persons with handguns as a matter of routine, the takeaway here is that a cop tried and failed, therefore we shouldn't ever try, and how dare I bring up the topic of ammunition performance regarding current realistic threats on a pistol forum.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List