Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linear Comps on Shorties to Allow Longer Rails (Comp Under Rail)

Linear Comps on Shorties to Allow Longer Rails (Comp Under Rail)

I don't have experience with linear comps and the idea seemed instagram-fanboy to me but I have a few potential use cases for them so I'm wondering what experiences people have with them.

You can run a linear comp underneath, inside most handguard rails. This allows you to use a rail longer than otherwise possible on a short barrel.

Examples:

9" Barrel + Linear Comp = use a 10.5" handguard rail. Otherwise you'd be stuck using a 7" rail on the 9" barrel because almost no body makes 8" rails. This gains you 3.5" on the rail which is substantial at that size.

12.5" Barrel + Linear Comp = use a 13.5" handguard rail. Otherwise you'd be stuck using a 10.5" handguard because no body makes 11.5" rail systems. So you gain 3" on the rail

Downsides are you can't use a silencer on these, so it's going to be dedicated as a linear comp gun. Versus using a flash hider silencer mount that lets you swap between suppressed and unsuppressed as desired. But for the cases of 9" and 12.5" barrels gaining 3" to 3.5" of handguard real estate is massive.

Linear Comps on Shorties to Allow Longer Rails (Comp Under Rail)

Are these builds you’re debating? If so, what caliber is the first gun?

And there are manufacturers that make 11.5 rails, just not many. Chopboss on IG is also an option.

What’re you mounting on the rail that needs extra space?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I don't need rail space THAT badly. In fact, I like the trend of M-LOK/Keymod where I can add the rail sections I want. I love LaRue stuff, but my carbine length rail has a lot of unused rail, that adds weight and tears stuff up. My work carbine weighs as much as a Garand, and "all" I have a fixed front sight, Troy flip up rear, a VFG, a surefire 6P, Redimag, Vltor stock, V-Tac sling, and an Aimpoint M/L3. Great patrol/perimeter rifle, probably not what I would want in a dedicated entry gun. I do like longer handguards though, as my ape like arms feel a bit crowded when shooting the operator approved c-clamp grip as far out as possible.

Mission drives the gear train and all. In my state, for my uses a suppressor is worth more than any comp. By far. Extra rail space or not.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    I don't need rail space THAT badly. In fact, I like the trend of M-LOK/Keymod where I can add the rail sections I want. I love LaRue stuff, but my carbine length rail has a lot of unused rail, that adds weight and tears stuff up. My work carbine weighs as much as a Garand, and "all" I have a fixed front sight, Troy flip up rear, a VFG, a surefire 6P, Redimag, Vltor stock, V-Tac sling, and an Aimpoint M/L3. Great patrol/perimeter rifle, probably not what I would want in a dedicated entry gun. I do like longer handguards though, as my ape like arms feel a bit crowded when shooting the operator approved c-clamp grip as far out as possible.

Mission drives the gear train and all. In my state, for my uses a suppressor is worth more than any comp. By far. Extra rail space or not.

pat
    Agree on all counts. My idea for the linear comps was for uppers that wouldn’t ever use silencers. Sometimes you don’t want the extra pound of weight and 6”+ hanging off the end of the gun.

And the rail space isn’t for mounting stuff, it’s for grabbing.

So my thoughts are to put together one or two uppers for a dedicated lightweight low profile role where a linear comp is under the handguard of a short barrel.

My question is: are linear comps any good? I’ve never owned or used one. Or are they just Instagram cool kids toys?

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Are these builds you’re debating? If so, what caliber is the first gun?

What’re you mounting on the rail that needs extra space?
    12.5” is for 5.56 and 9” might be for 300BLK or maybe going 7” for the 300BLK

And in all cases, I’m not mounting anything on the rails, they’re for grabbing further down.

It's a valid approach using something like a KAK or Noveske blast can. There is a blast shield that works in conjunction with a flash hider, probably a good idea on a short 5.56.

I ran the Noveske PIG and a Troy Claymore on my SBRs back in the day. PIG on a DI SBR and the Claymore on a 7.5” piston gun. I went with them because I used those SBRs during SWAT ops and those SBRs weren’t pleasant to be standing next to when I cranked off a round. I had no issues with either, but the PIG made the front of that rifle heavy. I ran the extended rails that partially covered the comp.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    My question is: are linear comps any good? I’ve never owned or used one. Or are they just Instagram cool kids toys?
    I wouldn’t use them again on an 11.5” rifle, which is what I had when I used the PIG. For a 7.5/8.5” upper where I wanted some more rail space I’d have no issues running the Claymore again in that situation, but that would be about it.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    …are linear comps any good?
    If we’re talking about the smaller inline comps like the BRT Covert and primarily sending muzzle blast down range, yes. They do help some with muzzle rise, but not as well as normal comps or brakes. If you’re not running a suppressor on your shorty, in-line comps are the way to go.

If we’re talking about one of the larger in-line comps like the Flaming Pig, no. Might as well just get a suppressor.

Personally, I like having a bit of barrel/suppressor sticking past the handguard in case I do something stupid and let a finger wander past the front of the handguard.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I ran the Noveske PIG and a Troy Claymore on my SBRs back in the day. PIG on a DI SBR and the Claymore on a 7.5” piston gun. I went with them because I used those SBRs during SWAT ops and those SBRs weren’t pleasant to be standing next to when I cranked off a round. I had no issues with either, but the PIG made the front of that rifle heavy. I ran the extended rails that partially covered the comp.
    I had forgotten about the PIG. It was the hot sex for SWAT guys in my classes before issued suppressors were a thing. With a LaRue 11.5 gooseneck. We are now issuing suppressors to patrol...on 14.5s because a brain dead lieutenant wanted to brag about issuing M4s. If you are gonna go SBR, go SBR! A 16.1 is within an inch and three quarters in length of a 14.5, then hang the can on it. A 10.3 with a six inch can is within a quarter inch of a 16.1....the standard issue can adds 2 inches to that...

The plan was to SBR my personal rifle to 12.5 inches and add an Elite Iron CQB reflex suppressor for the name net barrel length on my patrol rifle. Now I want a SUURGE

pat

User Tag List