Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Suspects With Body Armor Thread

So what is the effect of a handgun bullet striking soft armor, and same question hitting hard armor. Then same questions for 5.56, buck and a slug.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    So what is the effect of a handgun bullet striking soft armor, and same question hitting hard armor. Then same questions for 5.56, buck and a slug.
    Depends on the round and if there’s backing to the armor.

Over the years I bought many individual squares of different types of body armor so I could test different calibers with one shot per virgin armor. In front of ballistic gel, in front of wood.

Basically if they have any padding between them and the soft armor the back face deformation won’t stop anyone. Which is one of the reasons I prefer soft armor in a backpack with a padded surface.

5.56 goes through like butter. Buck and slug are both stopped but more back face deformation.

Supersonic 300 blackout from a rattler may or may not go through. Depending on the particular round.

5.56 through IIIA soft and then through “muscle” and “bone (oak plank).”

@GJM

I found one of the early ballistic armor tests I did. It kind of helps with some of the deformation question. Hope it’s helpful!

I did a bunch of follow up tests with things after.

@Clusterfrack
    @TheNewbie

Handgun vs soft armor usually leaves bruising to various degrees.

Rifle vs steel will usually put you down hard unless you're wearing a soft backer; broken ribs and hemothoraxes are common with larger calibers, which are not likely to be deadly CONUS. OCONUS with lengthened treatment times or poor medical care, they are life threatening. The Soviets' main definitive care hospital evacuation site during the Afghan War was in Kazakhstan and it usually took 3 days from time of injury to get there; a significant number of Soviet troops who were hit with 303 and 7.62x54r died from hemothoraxes during this time, regardless of the round being stopped by their body armor.

Rifle vs ceramic is usually much better for the wearer, as the ceramic absorbs the energy and breaks into chunks instead of transferring most of it to the wearer.

Keep in mind it can vary depending on specific round, range, angle, and specific armor being worn.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    I couldn’t get imbedded video to work, but standoff in Colorado with dude with a scar 17 and body armor who shot at his neighbor. Was ultimately stopped with a hit to the leg.

https://funker530.com/video/fn-scar-...utralize-nsfw/

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I couldn’t get imbedded video to work, but standoff in Colorado with dude with a scar 17 and body armor who shot at his neighbor. Was ultimately stopped with a hit to the leg.

https://funker530.com/video/fn-scar-...utralize-nsfw/
    Ironically, video begins with an ad for AR500 Plates / carriers…..

The video below is of save #2000 for the DuPont Kevlar Survivor's Club. Deputy Henry Huff was shot twice in the chest at point blank range by a 15 year-old who had taken his grandma's car for a joyride. The IACP and Dupont put out a video on this incident and others which shows the cleaned up/enhanced video, I didn't take a copy when I retired. As you listen to the video you here Deputy Huff give his warrior cry as he is hit, then proceed to get down to business. Looking at the time lapse on the video, he is at the back of the vehicle firing rounds, which hit the driver's headrest BTW, less than 5 seconds after being hit. The juvenile survived because he had rolled to the right, laying across the seats as he fired at Huff, and apparently hadn't completely set up as the vehicle drove away.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Even with our massive violence and gun crime increase this year we haven't encountered any body armor here. Lots of rifle rounds located on scenes though. We have come into contact with more than a few wearing the "fashion body armor", you know the vests made by weird off name brands that are meant to look "cool" but don't have any functional use to them.

Site Supporter
    Armed robbery in LA. Badguys wearing “Police” marked soft armor looking vests. Impossible to tell if it’s real armor or not from the video.

http://instagram.com/https://www.instagram.com/p/CW_45rSM0he/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet/

Sorry, can’t get imbed from Instagram to work if someone could help me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Armed robbery in LA. Badguys wearing “Police” marked soft armor looking vests. Impossible to tell if it’s real armor or not from the video.

http://instagram.com/https://www.instagram.com/p/CW_45rSM0he/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet/

Sorry, can’t get imbed from Instagram to work if someone could help me out.

Link doesn't work for me...but that's a real problem and I'm sure one that will become more prevalent.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List