Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advanced Site Zeroing Tricks

I started to write a big long post about all this but I'll boil it down to a couple of answers-

It really all depends on what kind of precision that you are looking for. A guy trying to hit a prairie dog at 250 yards will need to pay a lot more attention to the details compared to someone that is running M193 thru a Colt 6920 with a red dot, engaging steel silhouettes at half that distance.

For me, and for the sake of simplicity, I zero my red dots at 25 yards and magnified optics at 100. The 25 yard red dots will be used for defensive/close scenarios while the scoped rifles will be used anywhere from 100 out to 1000 yards and beyond.

After zeroing, I use a ballistics calculator to figure out the holds.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    For me, and for the sake of simplicity, I zero my red dots at 25 yards and magnified optics at 100. The 25 yard red dots will be used for defensive/close scenarios while the scoped rifles will be used anywhere from 100 out to 1000 yards and beyond.
    Since you brought up 'scenarios' the problem I see is that Murphy says if I'm presented with a long-range problem, I'll have the short-range solution.

I prefer the 100 yard zero for everything on rifles because I'm not smart enough to remember holds for two zeroes.

Plus IMO under stress you're more likely to shoot the dot or cross hair picture rather than hold over/under, so essentially inside 200 you're better served with the 100 zero.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Since you brought up 'scenarios' the problem I see is that Murphy says if I'm presented with a long-range problem, I'll have the short-range solution.

I prefer the 100 yard zero for everything on rifles because I'm not smart enough to remember holds for two zeroes.

Plus IMO under stress you're more likely to shoot the dot or cross hair picture rather than hold over/under, so essentially inside 200 you're better served with the 100 zero.
    Same justifications for me but I prefer the 50m, mostly because I’m ok with the trade off of a better zero for having to incorporate a hold under and over. Dots and irons at 100m have noticeably bigger groups for me than at 50m. Also, I think the 50m will actually keep a round at COM on a target at a greater distance, though I do need to check that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Do any of you zero for 2” high at 100 yards?

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Do any of you zero for 2” high at 100 yards?

Why would you do that?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Why would you do that?

Because I understand it to be an easy way to avoid having to worry about bullet drop over a wide range of distances.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

That might work with a bolt gun where your scope is an inch above the bore but with an AR, you’re scope is almost 3” above bore and would complicate things at any range besides 100 yards.

Or maybe not.
    Last edited by TWR; 11-29-2021 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Because I understand it to be an easy way to avoid having to worry about bullet drop over a wide range of distances.

Yeah I’m not seeing the logic there.

What’s your setup - barrel length, bullet, optic? What’s your assessed standard engagement range? Likely max range? What distances have you tested that zero at?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Yeah I’m not seeing the logic there.

What’s your setup - barrel length, bullet, optic? What’s your assessed standard engagement range? Likely max range? What distances have you tested that zero at?

Take a look at the trajectory tables posted by someone else above and the logic should be readily apparent.

Right at the muzzle, the maximum error will be the distance between the barrel and sight or optic, and will decrease as 50 yards is approached. 100 yards is the maximum I have tested, but according to those trajectory tables, the bullet should begin dropping shortly thereafter. I have not tested it yet, but for 5.56 it should work at least out to 200 yards and probably a bit beyond.

Regarding my likely engagement distances, my crystal ball broke.

Doesn’t a 50/200 zero end up hitting about two inches high at 100? By zeroing two inches high at 100, aren’t you just estimating a 50/200 zero?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List