Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody got a favorite with the 180gr XTP in the 44 Magnum

Anybody got a favorite with the 180gr XTP in the 44 Magnum

I bought several boxes of 180gr XTPs to shoot in my 44 magnums. I bought them thinking I could make a decent load for them in my 3” 629. Well that gun has lost its appeal and I’m gonna have it rebarreled into a 5” gun. Anyway I shot some the other day with H110, HS6, Unique, and 2400. With the exception of the H110 load, I was trying for a middle of the road loading for it, around 1300-1400 FPS. The H110 turned day into brighter day from my 6.5” 629 classic. I’m going to load some more of those for anyone that wants “the magnum experience” haha. The rest of the loads were dirty and left a gummy like residue all over my gun. I used 11.0gs of Unique, 15.0grs. of HS6, 23.0 grs of 2400. The unique load was 1227fps average and the 15.0grs of HS6 was 1356fps. I didn’t Chrono the H110 or the 2400.

If anyone has a cleaner burning load they can suggest I would appreciate it. Also if I pushed the HS6 or the 2400 a little harder would it clean up any?

I have several different powders to try from other than these, Longshot, Autocomp, etc. No accurate brand or vitahourri(?)

Site Supporter
    I don't have a recommendation but can perhaps explain the excess residue. Sometimes lighter weight bullets do not permit as complete combustion of the powder charge as would heavier bullets. Often we see this as excess muzzle flash. You can try crimping with a Lee collet crimp die which will increase bullet pull and provide more resistance and thereby permit more complete combustion. Unique is in the dirty burning group.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Haven't loaded that bullet, but I have a Hornady manual.

The narrative mentions their 7 1/2-in. Redhawk test gun liking Blue Dot /240 XTP.

They called out VIHT N-105 as working well with the 180gr, noting that the VIHT powders produce less blast and flash than others.

They recommended 7.6gr Unique with a 240gr SWC for 1000 fps, so it might just be a .

Blue Dot is known for being very versatile and working well in reduced loads for bottleneck cartridges. I'd play with it if I had some.

There's a ton of discussion out there on this bullet/cartridge combo if you do a general web search.

Also, found this old chart somewhere. Looks like you're aiming for a pretty good velocity range for the bullet.

Name:  underrated_hornady_XTP.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  68.5 KB
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by BKS View Post
    With the exception of the H110 load, I was trying for a middle of the road loading for it, around 1300-1400 FPS. The H110 turned day into brighter day from my 6.5” 629 classic. I’m going to load some more of those for anyone that wants “the magnum experience” haha.
    Did you chrono the 180s with H110? From my 14" Contender I get 1970fps.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Did you chrono the 180s with H110? From my 14" Contender I get 1970fps.
    Have you used that load on any game?
    I'd be interested in what happens to that bullet at 1900+.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    My older Lyman and Sierra manuals both have loads for the Sierra 180gr JHP.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

These were some Remmy 180 Soft points ... Retarded out of the Super Alaskan.

http://instagram.com/p/CJzS5ZYDlnM/

They are MUCH milder in the 7.5 SRH...

I haven't chrono'd them...

14gr AA7 with 240's was super comfortable in the Alaskan and very very clean. I wonder if AA7 or AA9 would be a cleaner powder?

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    Have you used that load on any game?
    I'd be interested in what happens to that bullet at 1900+.
    I haven't. At 20 yards it would still be screaming along, but at 100 it should be down to 1400fps or so. With H110 the max and minimum loads are 1gr apart, so you get what you get.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I haven't. At 20 yards it would still be screaming along, but at 100 it should be down to 1400fps or so. With H110 the max and minimum loads are 1gr apart, so you get what you get.
    I've always leaned toward heavy for caliber and only have XTP experience with 240's & 300's, but I bet that 180 would be a coyote hammer out of an 18" barrel : )

So I chronographed more loads today.
    3" Model 629-6 w/Ahrends grips
    51 Degrees
    20ft to Chrono

9.5grs of W231 w/ 180gr XTP
    Average of 10 Shots 996fps
    ES 48 fps
    SD 15fps

10grs of W231 w/ 180gr XTP
    Average of 10 shots 1074 fps
    ES 90fps
    SD 27fps

10.5grs of W231 w/180gr XTP
    Average of 10 shots 1079fps
    ES 42fps
    SD 14fps

I shot through the chronograph into a target at 15yards, with 3 different powder charges they all went into one large hole about 2-2 1/2".

Shot another 38 rounds at a 25 yards target. Recoil is not bad, you know you are touching off something. My 3" Ahrend's combat grips on it. No fireball, all cases ejected smoothly. All ammo loaded at the same time, same machine, new brass, Remington 2 1/2 primers. etc.

Someone please help me with the ES/SD.
    The 10.0 / 10.5 loads are really close but in the 10.5gr load the spreads are narrower. Does that make it a better load? Does it mean that in this situation, the powder has reached its "useable" loading?

Hodgdon max is 12.0 grs and I’m trying to decide if I should go up another 1/4-1/2gr. That is about getting to the limit with wood grips for a “comfortable” load. I fired around 120rds today.

Next will be to test expansion, but it will be a few days, cold weather coming.

User Tag List