Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Static versus dynamic

Static versus dynamic

I was talking with @JCS the other day regarding analogies to shooting. He has a high level competitive basketball background.

Came up with the following analogy:

A lot of the “tactical” fundamental drills are stand and shoot drills. A number of the older USPSA classifiers are like that too.

But the sport itself is dynamic with movement and judgement. Something that isn’t logistically feasible on a qualification or a standard.

To the point that special forces like Delta may use stand and shoot drills to meet minimum basic requirements, but they spend a lot of time practicing the dynamic aspect in shoot houses.

So I was trying to make the point of free throws versus court skills.

He made the following observation that I didn’t realize but supports that understanding.

What’s interesting about basketball is that people can be good free throw shooters (80%+) and be poor three point shooters which is in game and dynamic. But you rarely ever find someone who is an excellent three point shooter and a poor free throw shooter. The mechanics of shooting a basketball dynamically carry over but not static.
    @Clark Jackson
    @Moylan
    @OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
    @RJ
    @BWT
    @TWR
    @DMF13

Stand and shoot skills as a fundamental, testable baseline is a good starting point for skill assessment.

But assuming that most self defensive shooting might incorporate some dynamic component, it would make sense to move on to dynamic training. USPSA for all the gaming criticisms is good for that. Of course some people try to do dynamic training without a good fundamental stand and shoot background and that doesn’t work very well either….

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post

But assuming that most self defensive shooting might incorporate some dynamic component...

The question is how much of a dynamic component there is in most self defensive shootings. My personal impression was "not much" but we have people here who are very qualified to answer this.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I've come to view things like slow fire bullseye at 25 yards comparable to the free throw analogy. It doesn't translate directly to dynamic shooting or static shooting at speed. Speed and movement exposes issues in the mechanics that just aren't there when you can stand and shoot with no time pressure.

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth” --Tyson
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    The question is how much of a dynamic component there is in most self defensive shootings. My personal impression was "not much" but we have people here who are very qualified to answer this.
    I think the question of: how much should there be and not what is typically done by the “average” person.

I think it’s pretty well accepted that at a minimum, “stepping off the X” is a reasonable minimum when being attacked.

But yet almost none of the tactical draw COFs incorporate even a step lateral or change from broad side standing engagement.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    “Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth” --Tyson
    Or in the solar plexus as your trainer did while shooting, lol.

To the point that special forces like Delta may use stand and shoot drills to meet minimum basic requirements, but they spend a lot of time practicing the dynamic aspect in shoot houses.
    I think there's a fair amount of offense versus defense in that equation. The best defense can indeed be a good offense, but running like hell can be a good defense too.

I think the question of: how much should there be and not what is typically done by the “average” person.

I think it’s pretty well accepted that at a minimum, “stepping off the X” is a reasonable minimum when being attacked.

I remember reading a long debate about it and how some felt that off X by default wasn't a good idea. Don't remember why exactly though.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I remember reading a long debate about it and how some felt that off X by default wasn't a good idea. Don't remember why exactly though.
    I would love to read that discussion for education.

I think off the X not necessary as default… nothing I think should be an automatic default without thought.

I could imagine that a lot would be distance and attacker weapon dependent.

Backing up in some cases might be better to buy time and distance.

Heck, if you moved to your right you might increase your chance of getting shot if they flinched low left hahaha

Most defensive shooting standard tests and drills are static. When I see videos of self defense shootings, it seems like there is a lot of movement, and jackass shooting positions happening.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List