Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .45 Super in Beretta PX4

.45 Super in Beretta PX4

Does anyone know if the PX4 SD .45 would handle .45 Super? I'm guessing it would at least need a heavier recoil spring? Just curious if anyone has used Super in a .45 PX4. I'm considering it with hard cast or Lehigh Penetrators for hogs.

Of course, I haven't even looked to see if there were suppressor sights available for the PX4 .45. Maybe not.

(I know... I could call Beretta.)

I don't know but besides just wanting to shoot super for its own sake you might just try standard pressure.

I am loading 255gr swc at 940fps and while I've not actually shot anything with it. I have shot a lot of animals with the same bullet at the same speeds from a .45 colt. I used to have nuisance permits and shot several dozen deer plus smaller game like yotes with great results. When people say handguns suck I roll my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I don't know but besides just wanting to shoot super for its own sake you might just try standard pressure.

I am loading 255gr swc at 940fps...
    Something in the 200+ grain weight class at 900-1,000fps has been such a common performance target for over a century, it would be foolish to think there is nothing to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rack View Post
    Does anyone know if the PX4 SD .45 would handle .45 Super? I'm guessing it would at least need a heavier recoil spring? Just curious if anyone has used...
    I offered my opinion here->
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....n-usage/page22 post 216 & 218

It's an interesting question, even if, reasons.

I seem to recall that a feature of any rotary barrel locking system was that it was very stout and had excellent support in the case head area. Do NOT know that as a fact and have no documentation to point to. Certainly a stronger recoil spring would be an excellent idea also.

Calling @PX4 Storm Tracker. I'll bet he knows. As I posted this he replied. How's that for service?
    Last edited by 314159; 11-18-2021 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Question answered.
    My apologies to weasels.

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post

Calling @PX4 Storm Tracker. I'll bet he knows. As I posted this he replied. How's that for service?
    Thanks for the call! I think I beat you to the punch by 3 minutes, ha, ha!

Thanks for the replies. I've toying with the Super, but am not sure if that's even needed, based on some comments from Lost River on this forum. I saw a post of his with some .45 ACP hard cast hand loads that he did and am wondering about trying something like that.

I may put a slightly extended KKM barrel or some sort in a G21 and maybe get a milled slide for a red dot optic. Still thinking about the options.

One thing that kind of bugs me about the PX4 SD version is, why didn't they thread the barrel? I would have to get that threaded.

Thanks again!

I thought there was some kind of issue using suppressors and rotating barrels?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

SD nose job?

Thanks for the replies. I've toying with the Super, but am not sure if that's even needed, based on some comments from Lost River on this forum. I saw a post of his with some .45 ACP hard cast hand loads that he did and am wondering about trying something like that.

I may put a slightly extended KKM barrel or some sort in a G21 and maybe get a milled slide for a red dot optic. Still thinking about the options.

One thing that kind of bugs me about the PX4 SD version is, why didn't they thread the barrel? I would have to get that threaded.

Thanks again!
    When the PX4 Storm Special Duty was originally made it was aimed at getting a military contract. When it did not get the contract there was not enough market for people to want a suppressor on it in civilian use.

The intention was to have threaded barrels for the military use and a suppressor that locked onto the picatinny rail for stability because of the rotating barrel. Since there was not enough market for suppressor use on this pistol in the civilian world they did not pursue that development.

Thanks again!
    ==================

I would avoid .45 Super in a Glock. I and several others GJM etc.... had function/feed trouble with hot (Buffalo bore) 10mm in a GL20. Even with 22lb recoil springs the slide cycled faster than mags would feed.

I would think that .45 Super in a Glock .45 would have similar problems.

I also remember DB talking about GL21s not dealing with +p .45ACP well.

I ended up with HK USP full size .45 ACP to run .45 ACP and .45 Super through. I followed in GJM footsteps. So far no issues. DB was also hugely informative on HK USP .45s.

On the other hand:
    I had very good results with standard pressure .45 ACP in GL21s, GL30s. 10,000 rounds a year over 10+ years.

User Tag List