Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are Holosun Red Dots Durable Enough for EDC and Hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    Going off Sage Dynamics reviews, the 507 series is slightly less durable than an rmr, the 508 is about the same, and the 509 is unquestionably more durable.
    The 508t never cracked in his testing if I remember correctly so it's as tough or tougher than anything else

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rack View Post
    Are they durable enough for EDC and for hog hunting? Would prefer a Trijicon, but don't want to have to remove a red dot for battery changes.

Thanks.
    Been carrying an RMR for a couple of years now. I am more concerned about the open emitter than I am about removing the red dot for battery changes, and even that concern, in my environment, has not presented a problem. I try to do most of my routine firearms maintenance (cleaning, battery changes) at the range, and then follow up with a mag down range to make sure everything is working properly and that there were no issues with the cleaning and reassembly. Remove the optic, change the battery, reinstall, check cowitness, verify zero. Removing the optic for battery changes is not ideal, but has not presented a problem IME.

pat

To the OP: yes, Holosuns are durable. A few department instructors running them. The 509T is my preference from this manufacturer. I personally carry an P-1 ACRO(waiting for a P-2!) and the RMR2 is gtg too. I also have a 407k on a 43X; no issues yet, but only a couple of hundred rounds.

They are physically durable. I don’t trust their electronics anymore.

My examples had a lot of physical distortion in the lenses—sort of a reverse fisheye effect. The notch filter was better than a Trijicon RMR, but bluer/darker than the SRO or Sig optics. None of that is an issue for carry or action pistol sports, but it may be an issue for precision shooting (especially in lower-light conditions).

Mine also soft-locked on several occasions, leaving me unable to adjust brightness and, in a couple of instances, without a dot at all. They developed major function problems if the batteries became cold to the touch. Each time, the problem was solved by removing the battery, warming it in my hands, and reinstalling it.

Mine were 507C X2 and 507K X2 models. I put fresh Duracell batteries in them every three months just to be safe. I now no longer own any and will not buy further.

Edited to add: my Romeo1Pro has held up much better in the same conditions. Higher quality glass and emitter, temperature issues come up occasionally but I have never lost a dot from it, and I have never had a glitch in the shake-awake function or experienced wandering zero like I have with the Holosuns.

Which I forgot to mention. My Holosun optics would occasionally not “shake awake,” requiring a button press. And my 507K needed to be re-zeroed multiple times (it would wander a couple inches in windage every 300 rounds or so).
    Last edited by JRV; 11-21-2021 at 08:14 AM.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Site Supporter
    I have a 407 on my 1895GBL .45-70. Its not a high round count rifle and I live in SC so cold temps aren't a major issue. Its seen several freezing or below mornings in the deer stand this year and last and has been ok so far.

Thats just my sample of one.

Two 507c's (1,800 rounds, G34 Gen 5 MOS USPSA/GSSF gun; 400 rounds, G19 Gen 5 MOS EDC gun, AIWB) and one 507k (400 rounds, G48 direct milled). I swapped out the stock batteries for Duracells. I was shooting the G19 last month after installing a BUIS set (had to remove the dot), and I guess I got some dirt on the emitter. The reticle was wavy and fuzzy. I cleaned the emitter area with a wet Q tip when I got home. The reticle returned to it's normal crisp image. I have another 407k inbound for mounting on a P365x. I'm in FL so pretty mild climate year round. Zero issues with any of them to date, they just seem to work.

Site Supporter
    IME if the Holosuns are going to have a problem it will manifest early. If it works initially it will usually keep running. Replacing the factory supplied battery with a Duracell or Renata is not a bad idea.

Not sure there is a definitive answer. Some people like GJM who has a lot of optics say Holosuns have a very high return rate. Recently at a Dave Spaulding Red Dot class he mentioned the most failures he has seen stem from Sig and Vortex optics. My experience would jive with that.When I see an optic go down at a match, chances are it is a Sig or Vortex. I have been running slide mounted red dots for almost 11 years now. My first one was a Trijicon RMR type 1 which went 80,000 rounds on a Gen 3 G19 and is still working. That being said, I have had electronic problems with two other RMR's and 2 SRO's. So far all of my Holosuns have been fine through tens of thousands of rounds, but so has My Sig Romeo 1 Pro which came on my Xcompact. I think there is a lot to like about the Holosun's except the fact that they are big time Chinesium.

A friend of mine has a bunch of AR style rifles, about half .22LR and the rest mostly .223, with a .308 and (I think) a .45 ACP one too. All have cheapish red dots on them and the main problems he's had with them is leaking of the shipped with battery after a year or so, solved by tossing it almost immediately, and the rubber membrane some of them have over the buttons falling apart and allowing water in. A couple of super cheap ones were DOA, but none of them that worked on arrival or after replacement died "young", and they are treated pretty roughly. My own ownership of Holosun, Vortex, and another one I can't remember the brand name on(Bought from CDNN for like $30) is about as good as can be. No failures, no problems of any kind. That cheap CDNN one has been on my AR .223 since I built it, and was on a .22LR H&K replica for few hundred rounds before it. One of the things I like about it is it's large lens size allows a decent view in low light conditions, cheap glass or not. The red/green dot on it is super bright on high and is visible even in daytime without problems. I don't have it handy, but I don't think it even has the brand name on it. The box is in my spare bedroom, full of...boxes.

Site Supporter
    Edge of my Lane at Best.

Odds v Stakes.

Hunting Locally: Generally yes.

If I was going to WY, having hired a 5k guide and pulled an out of state tag, my RDS or LPVO or Scope would be top tier: Pistol RDS would be Trijicon or Aimpoint.
    Rifle: Aimpoint, S&B, Zeiss, US Optics, Nightforce or perhaps higher end Vortex or Steiner. Perhaps Leupold as well.

EDC: Answer presumes we are speaking of a pistol mounted RDS. I fully acknowledge GJM, SoCalDep, EricG and other folks who have forgotten more about RDS than I know are seeing positive results with various Holosun models, particularly 500 series units. Putting country of origin aside (the PRC in this case) , I think as a brand, Holosun exceeds the intersection of quality and value.

If I was betting my life on an pistol mounted RDS tonight, it would be an Aimpoint or a Trijicon.

YMMV. Be safe and well. OP-Let us know what you and why you do it.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

User Tag List