Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are Holosun Red Dots Durable Enough for EDC and Hunting?

Small sample size and all that, but...

RMR Type 1 RM06
    • Purchased 2013 and briefly mounted on a Glock, then sat unused until 2019 when I mounted it on my dedicated training VP9 (milling by Primary Machine)
    • Started flickering after roughly 4,881 rounds, sent to Trijicon for warranty repair
    • Returned with modifications to battery contacts, lasted another 60 rounds before it started flickering again
    • Trijicon sold me a discounted Type 2 after I sent it back the second time

RMR Type 2 RM09
    • Purchased November 2019 and mounted on EDC VP9 (milling by Primary Machine)
    • 7,504 rounds fired
    • Zero issues

RMR Type 2 RM09
    • Purchased March 2020 and mounted on my training VP9
    • 13,707 rounds fired
    • Zero issues

Holosun 508T
    • Purchased June 2021 and replaced the RMR on my training VP9
    • 2,827 rounds fired
    • Stock Holosun screw with factory-applied threadlocker backed out around 600 rounds in, replaced with Jagerwerks screws and VC3
    • Sheared a Jagerwerks screw around 2,800 rounds in and the slide is currently on its way to Primary Machine—who did the original milling—to remove the broken screw

Aimpoint ACRO P1
    • Purchased July 2020 and mounted on another VP9
    • 5,068 rounds fired
    • Zero issues

I have no issues with the electronics on the 508T and I like the glass better than the RMR (slightly taller window, less blue tint). The first issue with the screws was my fault for trusting factory applied threadlocker. The second issue with the broken Jagerwerks screw, I blame on myself as well. JW marketed them as RMR-length screws, but in looking at the one that wasn't sheared off after the fact, it was too short. I suspect that having less thread engagement combined with the 508T being a little loose in the RMR-cut pocket put more stress on the screw and contributed to it shearing.

I noted when switching from the 508T to an RMR an an otherwise identical gun during the same range session, I immediately noticed the tighter RMR window, which is enough to make me want to switch over to the 508 for EDC, although I feel more vetting is required to ensure I don't run into another screw issue.

Meanwhile, the ACRO gun is just trucking along with no drama...

That's a longwinded way of saying yes, I think my 508T is durable enough for EDC use, if you set aside the fastener issues... but if the ACRO didn't print more than the RMR/508 style body, I'd be content with that optic.

Sorry for the late return to post. Thanks for all the great responses. I may look at getting a 509T. I also saw a reference to an ACRO P-2. Don't know anything about it, except that the battery can be changed without removing the optic. It might be larger than the 509T, don't know.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Rack View Post
    Sorry for the late return to post. Thanks for all the great responses. I may look at getting a 509T. I also saw a reference to an ACRO P-2. Don't know anything about it, except that the battery can be changed without removing the optic. It might be larger than the 509T, don't know.

Thanks again!
    Surprised no one linked this:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l-optic-thread

Plus several threads there regarding the Acro P1 and 2.

User Tag List