Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holosun reticle preference

Holosun reticle preference

For those running any of the Holosun multi reticle red dots ( 507c,507k etc.) do you prefer the 2 moa dot alone or with the large ring? Ive been playing with bot but find myself going back to the dot only, curious to see what others prefer and why.

I transitioned to dots last year. I shoot them exclusively. Experience to date is with two HS507c's (G34, G19, both MOS) and one HS507k (milled G48). 1,800 rounds through the G34, 400 with the 19, maybe 400-450 with the G48.

I find:

Dot plus circle - very busy sight picture, seems to obscure the target and hampers my ability to target focus. After trying it once or twice, I have never used it again.

Circle only - I have this setup on my carry gun. I find the large circle somewhat distracting. I am on the fence whether it affects my slow-time shooting. There's an argument that the large circle would be easier to pick up in a stressful SD situation.

Dot only - This is where my competition gun is. I train almost exclusively in dry practice that way. The dot (2 MOA) is very precise. My index is much more consistent with my game gun, of course: OWB holster, Talon granulate grip tape, lots of practice.

I have another dot inbound for a new thin carry gun. I opted for the 407k this time, 6 MOA dot only. My thinking is since I use the dot only anyway in USPSA, but being larger, 6 MOA will be a decent middle-ground for carry. This will also line up better with my competition reticle.

Dot only for my two 507c’s.

Adding the circle just gets too busy for me.

I believe the circle only is ideal for EDC, because it promotes target focus, it is easier to find with an imperfect index, and it works well in low sun angles that make a single dot splatter. I find no degradation in group shooting with the circle, if you let your eye naturally center the dot. Only downside is it goes through a battery quicker on K models but I don't notice it on C models. I find it easier to shot call with a single dot but that is a competition consideration more than for EDC.

Lately, I have been experimenting with a 407CO, and really like the 8 moa circle, which appears to offer the benefits of a single dot and single circle.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I actually think the Holosun dots are really solid! For the Tylenol Shooting I do, I like a 1MOA RMR dot, however my eye likes green more than red. The 2MOA isn’t noticeably different than the 1MOA (esp if you dim down to the dot being very fine).

That said, the Holosuns versatility to switch makes it so solid…

So… the reticle pref for me when it come to the Holosun is the green 2MOA dot. I like shooting 25 yard B8’s. If I were in a real combat situation though, where I didn’t need precision shot placement and needed to squire very quickly, I would swap to the dot and circle. That reticle makes it very easy to make A Zone hits while shooting fast and on target.

It’s very nice and convenient that you can switch back and forth quickly with no major changes but the press of a button.

Reticle choice totally dependent on application and situation!
    A custom 1911 is like a fine piece of ass, there is no known substitute... and neither are cheap.

Like some, I have experimented with the Holosuns. Right now, I am running a T&E green 509T on a G45MOS(C&H plate).
    Running circle to see the difference. I find the circle and dot too “busy” for me. With the circle only, passed our quals. Also was able to get hits @50 yards on a steel silhouette by centering the silhouette in the circle; work trigger carefully-hit.
    On my new to me G43XMOS, a green 407k w/6moa dot. No issues so far; ran the “Core 4” as an eval and got a “go” on that.
    All that said, if forced to choose, I’d go with a dot of some sort for simplicity sake. I think it’s more about using the image on the screen correctly, I.e., “target focus” than shape size. I certainly respect @GJM and his observations, but one may be issued/forces to use a particular unit.
    Similar observation: I may like/prefer a highlighted front iron sight. Can I shoot plain black? Yep, but I like prefer the other.

I prefer 2 moa dot alone. I don't have the whole time in the world to add a circle lol

Dot only, for me.

For me the "CO" is a big advantage over any other reticle for a handgun. That is mostly because its the only one I can see near-perfectly with my astigmatism, but even if I didnt have the astigmatism I think I would still prefer it. It allows me to shoot with maximum precision (In the context of a handgun) while having the speed/bad index advantages of a bigger dot.

In 2nd place would be the plain 2Moa Dot, preferably in green. I don't like using the big circle but would be interested to try it out in a small and hard to shoot well handgun with a 507K. I feel the fact that I am capable of less precision and more likely to have bad index with a small handgun would give the big circle a big advantage.

I have a 407K with the 6MOA dot mounted on a G43 Glock and a 507K X2 with the circle/dot mounted on a CZ RAMI. I like the 6MOA dot best at this time, but it might be because I have extensive experience with a 5MOA dot in all three of my Trijicon SRO optics on my match pistols.

I typically carry the CZ RAMI with the dot/circle combo activated and while it is very easy to acquire from even awkward positions, the larger dot seems more natural for me. In any event, both setups work for me.

User Tag List