Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 870 and 1100LT questions

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I wonder what that Remington Steal package would set you back. I'm sure it's a pretty penny.

Let me know what you find out, if you would.
    It's one of the more cost-effective deals out there. I bought an LE trade-in less-lethal 870 Magnum with orange Surefire furniture (light in the forend) and sent it in after pulling the light off for the basic package, Traklock sights, and a sidesaddle and got it back within about a month. I've been through two classes with it and some practice and the only issue I've had is the through bolts holding the trigger group and the sidesaddle loosened and had to be re-tightened after 700-ish rounds. They replace the furniture with Remington OEM parts and it's still wearing those, I need to paint the Surefire forend black and install it and the Magpul buttstock I have. Recommended.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    *Mounting a rail is a possibility depending on sight options.
    Apparently, the big bugbear with rail and ghost ring installations on 870s and 1100s is the thin cross-section of the affected area of the receivers that make drilling/tapping something you want a GOOD gunsmith/shop doing. Even the factory d&t'd guns can exhibit oddly inferior mounting holes. I mention this only because there have been a fair number of people who volunteer while talking to me about their optic setup that one of the mounting screws for their rail isn't holding much... or isn't even there. I am still soldiering on with my DEA-style barrel with the low-profile XS sights, but if I was going to put a T-1 on an 870P receiver nowadays, I would want someone a hell of a lot better than myself or the local parts replacer doing the d&t.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Thanks gato, I wasn’t aware that was an issue but it explains why a couple of weeks ago someone suggested sending it to Vang for steel inserts (at least that’s what it sounded like he said). I looked and didn’t see anything on their website so maybe that’s another call to make.

@TCinVA or @LHS, are y’all seeing very many dotted 870s in classes?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I wonder what that Remington Steal package would set you back. I'm sure it's a pretty penny.

Let me know what you find out, if you would.
    IMO, the Remington Steal "Standard" package for $229 is a pretty decent value, all things considered. Wilson does good parkerizing ... always has.

Note: Wilson charges $150 to install a pic rail.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

I’ve got an early 00s 870 Express (18” cyl bore) that needs a little upgrading in the sight department. What’s the accepted easy button to get a rail installed? Preferably something that doesn’t cost as much as I paid for it new.

*Mounting a rail is a possibility depending on sight options.
    Others have already mentioned the Wilson Combat Remington Steal package. IMO the program is great for those who have an older police (surplus) shotgun or one that has otherwise been used and abused.

We replace all worn and/or damaged parts including the buttstock and fore-end, convert your chamber to 3”, convert to flexi-tab anti-jam system, install a new magazine spring and follower, replace safety with a jumbo head, replace trigger assembly with a professionally remanufactured trigger unit, and parkerize your complete shotgun.

I say older and used and abused because if I remember correctly from the Remington Armorer's courses/recerts I've been to, the Expresses have always had 3 inch chambers. Likewise, the flexi-tab system has been standard on police 870's since the early 80's, and by the mid-80's was standard on all 870's.

For those reasons, I'd think the initial focus of the program was retro-fitting old police 870's.

I also note that in the italicized description above, Wilson doesn't list any barrel work other than convert your chamber to 3". Lengthening and smoothing the forcing cone will usually make a police 870 pattern way better and that isn't listed anyplace. It's obvious that Wilson doesn't give a full description of what is done on the steal package because, if the shotgun is old enough to require converting the chamber to 3" it will also require replacing the ejector with a 3 inch model. FWIW, that, IMO, is much more technical and time consuming than reaming a chamber.

I post all this not to trash Wilson, rather to entice those considering the Remington Steal package to call and see what you are getting. If anything I think Wilson is probably guilty of underselling the package. For example, if I were selling the package, convert your chamber to 3" would become:

Convert your shotgun to 3" (if needed) including reaming and polishing chamber and forcing cone, replacing the 23/4" ejector with a 3" ejector, milling ejector rivets smooth with receiver and refinishing receiver.

Likewise, replace trigger assembly with a professionally remanufactured trigger unit becomes:

Replace trigger assembly with a professionally remanufactured trigger unit that includes and extra strength carrier dog spring to ensure proper feeding of heavier self-defense cartridges, and an extra power law enforcement sear spring.

Anyways here is the Wilson Combat shotgun option list:

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/wp-cont...rm_Shotgun.pdf

I'd spend the extra $157.00 to get the armor tuff finish if it were me. I don't like ghost rings on self-defense shotguns due to my perceived usage - inside 20 yards. If I wanted ghost rings, as much as I like the track-locks, I'd probably go with the XS ghost ring rail so I could more easily have the option of an optic down the road.

Good luck.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Front Sight Questions....

I scrolled around on the XS Sights website and came across the rail and ghost ring sight set up package.

How durable (and able to hold their final position) are banded or interference fit type front sights on a shotty?

while we can take good care to prevent damage.... what about hard use and a hard drop. Any stories for a no go?

The instructions dont say it, but what about 870 bead barrels with a factory ramp/base. Do the bases need to be removed or will the banded style slide right on using the factory base as a centering guide?

I will add that (we got 29 870s where I work).... our 870P are from the late 1990s (maybe 98 to 2000) and our front sights seemed to be well centered from the factory.

thanks in advance
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Thanks gato, I wasn’t aware that was an issue but it explains why a couple of weeks ago someone suggested sending it to Vang for steel inserts (at least that’s what it sounded like he said). I looked and didn’t see anything on their website so maybe that’s another call to make.

@TCinVA or @LHS, are y’all seeing very many dotted 870s in classes?
    I see very few dotted 870s. I see a far larger proportions of dots on 1301s.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    Front Sight Questions....

I scrolled around on the XS Sights website and came across the rail and ghost ring sight set up package.

How durable (and able to hold their final position) are banded or interference fit type front sights on a shotty?

while we can take good care to prevent damage.... what about hard use and a hard drop. Any stories for a no go?

The instructions dont say it, but what about 870 bead barrels with a factory ramp/base. Do the bases need to be removed or will the banded style slide right on using the factory base as a centering guide?

I will add that (we got 29 870s where I work).... our 870P are from the late 1990s (maybe 98 to 2000) and our front sights seemed to be well centered from the factory.

thanks in advance
    I can't say anything about the banded XS sights as I have never used them, but I have not had good luck with other banded sights unless they were soldered in place.

The XS front beads that just epoxy onto the factory beads on a pedestal are not as fragile as one might expect... IF they are installed with care and everything is truly clean and free of oil, silicones, etc. Properly installed, they will come off just about when a factory bead would also bend over or bust off.

The XS Express sight sets for the trad rifle-sighted Remington barrels work okay, but those rear sights are so bloody high and snaggy, I dumped them for the now-discontinued DEA-style (having low-profile XS sights) barrel; this setup is acceptably "slick," very fast, and unobtrusive. Somebody really needs to offer a service converting old "normal" barrels to this style, as they are one of the better options that people don't know about.

In my neck of the woods, despite tons of 870s (and Mossies) on hand, there are relatively few red dots on them other than on some turkey and/or deer guns. Yeah, they are out there, but putting an optic on them is kind of a PITA for the average owner.

IMHO, 870 optics would be better off barrel-mounted, which means cobbling something up. I have seen one "Bubba" job where a short length of pic rail was attached to the ground-down rear base of a rifle-sight barrel. The craftsmanship sucked, but despite looking like hell it was not a bad setup conceptually... although the red dot ends up a bit forward for my taste.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    I can't say anything about the banded XS sights as I have never used them, but I have not had good luck with other banded sights unless they were soldered in place.

The XS front beads that just epoxy onto the factory beads on a pedestal are not as fragile as one might expect... IF they are installed with care and everything is truly clean and free of oil, silicones, etc. Properly installed, they will come off just about when a factory bead would also bend over or bust off.

The XS Express sight sets for the trad rifle-sighted Remington barrels work okay, but those rear sights are so bloody high and snaggy, I dumped them for the now-discontinued DEA-style (having low-profile XS sights) barrel; this setup is acceptably "slick," very fast, and unobtrusive. Somebody really needs to offer a service converting old "normal" barrels to this style, as they are one of the better options that people don't know about.

In my neck of the woods, despite tons of 870s (and Mossies) on hand, there are relatively few red dots on them other than on some turkey and/or deer guns. Yeah, they are out there, but putting an optic on them is kind of a PITA for the average owner.

IMHO, 870 optics would be better off barrel-mounted, which means cobbling something up. I have seen one "Bubba" job where a short length of pic rail was attached to the ground-down rear base of a rifle-sight barrel. The craftsmanship sucked, but despite looking like hell it was not a bad setup conceptually... although the red dot ends up a bit forward for my taste.
    I put a banded XS front sight on an SBS I was assigned when I worked dope 14 years ago. Just issued the same gun to one of our rookies to use in the academy. Sights still locked in and going strong other than the tritium is dim.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I’ve been looking for one of the DEA low profile barrels everywhere. I’m know I’m late to the party. I had one on my old 870, but traded it away on a 1301. They were the best sight configuration I’ve ever used on a shotgun..

User Tag List