Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 870 and 1100LT questions

870 and 1100LT questions

I’ve got an early 00s 870 Express (18” cyl bore) that needs a little upgrading in the sight department. What’s the accepted easy button to get a rail installed? Preferably something that doesn’t cost as much as I paid for it new. I’ll probably end up doing that when I put a dot on it.

I’ve also got my Grandfather’s 1100LT 12 ga. I haven’t checked the serial number yet but my guess is it’s from the 80s and it’s your basic bird gun (which is all he did with it). I don’t have a lot of need or interest in another basic bird gun so I’m thinking of getting a little Timmy with it. 18-20” barrel, furniture I’m not afraid to knock around at a class, etc. I don’t want to alter the original barrel or furniture* so I’d like to know if there is another model that shares parts with the 1100LT before I start looking for original parts to modify.

The 1100LT is not going to be a high round count gun at all. I can’t say I’ve fired 500 rounds total of 12ga over the past 15 years out of the half dozen shotguns I’ve had over that time. Under 350 might even be a safe bet.

*Mounting a rail is a possibility depending on sight options.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Or just skip straight to the dot: https://scalarworks.com/shop/integral-mounts/sync-04/

I think @03RN has one of these scalarworks mounts, so he might be able to provide more info. I apologize if I'm mis-remembering who had one.

I’ve never seen a LT-12. Just LT-20s. Got pics?
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Or just skip straight to the dot
    That’s the plan. I want to have it d&t and mount a rail so I can have options. I’m really thinking something like a T-1 or other tube type rather than a RMR.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I’ve never seen a LT-12. Just LT-20s. Got pics?
    I’ll try and get some soon. Maybe this weekend. I’ll try and get a pic with the LT-20 as well.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

My Express is from the same period...2000, 2001, thereabouts.

It has a sling, +2 extension, SureFire forend and Magpul stock. Not sure if it's worth upgrading further but I'm going to monitor what you do with yours and decide.

I've not upgraded the sights or internals since purchase. (Low round count.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

For a hundred bucks (or less) you can get a 5" Mesa Tactical picatinny-rail installed .... $25 for the mount and $15-20 per hole (x4) for drilling & tapping.

Last edited by 41magfan; 11-18-2021 at 11:51 AM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    My Express is from the same period...2000, 2001, thereabouts.

It has a sling, +2 extension, SureFire forend and Magpul stock. Not sure if it's worth upgrading further but I'm going to monitor what you do with yours and decide.

I've not upgraded the sights or internals since purchase. (Low round count.)
    Very low round count here as well. I put Magpul furniture on it a few months ago and a +something extension not long after I bought it. I was given an aluminum follower to go in it a while back, just haven't done it yet.

I'm tempted to send it in for the Remington Steal package just to have it gone through for things the factory might have let slide. I don't see adding just an optic rail on the form, I might call and ask soon™.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Very low round count here as well. I put Magpul furniture on it a few months ago and a +something extension not long after I bought it. I was given an aluminum follower to go in it a while back, just haven't done it yet.

I'm tempted to send it in for the Remington Steal package just to have it gone through for things the factory might have let slide. I don't see adding just an optic rail on the form, I might call and ask soon™.
    I wonder what that Remington Steal package would set you back. I'm sure it's a pretty penny.

Let me know what you find out, if you would.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

According to the work order form it runs from $230 to $475. I’m looking at the “rebuild 870, Armor Tuff” option for $385. I’ll have to call and ask about a rail install and the turnaround time.

tagged for interest on this topic/project!
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

User Tag List