Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CORE optics mounting system

CORE optics mounting system

I am in the middle of recurrent helicopter training, so I don't have time to post my thoughts and experiences, but I would be interested in a discussion of the pros and cons of the S&W CORE optics mounting system.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The CORE system is different than, for example, the Glock MOS system. With a Glock style system, you screw a specific adapter plate to the MOS slide cut out, and then attach the optic to that plate. With the CORE system, the slide is pre drilled for various optic footprints, and you place a filler plate on the slide, and screws go through the optic and plate, eliminating two screws holding the plate to the slide.

Previously, S&W provided metal plates, but in recent 2.0 pistols, you get a bag if thin plastic plates. Mostly I have been using Chip Wiz plates, although with the Romeo 3 Max and XL, I use a C MORE RTS2 plate on top of a plastic OEM plate.

To date, I sheared one screw on a SRO using a plastic OEM a plate, and otherwise have been trouble free through lots of shooting. HCM reports issues with an agency shooting 2.0 .40 pistols, and suggests the 10mm application will be problematic. SoCalDeputy has, I believe, lots of experience with this system, but I am not sure what he is seeing.

So is the CORE system clever or a bad idea?

I have an Aimpoint plate on an M&P9. It seems pretty robust. I went through a one day class with it. I don’t know how well it would remain solid with 40 or 10mm recoil. I had to turn in the P1 when I retired so I’ve not worked with it since. I’m waiting on a P2 of my own and then I’ll see.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    HCM reports issues with an agency shooting 2.0 .40 pistols, and suggests the 10mm application will be problematic. SoCalDeputy has, I believe, lots of experience with this system, but I am not sure what he is seeing.
    This is exactly where my concerns lie- I really want a 4.6 10mm, but I'm frankly frightened by the CORE system- and that's the only way that it looks like those guns will be available.

If I could get a CORE slide milled for a direct-mount SRO or 509T (my preference), then no-harm-no-foul, but I really wonder how much testing has been done on CORE 10mm.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    This is exactly where my concerns lie- I really want a 4.6 10mm, but I'm frankly frightened by the CORE system- and that's the only way that it looks like those guns will be available.

If I could get a CORE slide milled for a direct-mount SRO or 509T (my preference), then no-harm-no-foul, but I really wonder how much testing has been done on CORE 10mm.
    Hopefully two kinds of testing -- the CORE system and full power 10mm ammo testing.

Who has an engineering perspective on the CORE system vs other plate systems like the MOS?

I just mandated CHPWS plates for our new optic ready M&P users at work (and the MOS and Sig users for that matter). The plastic factory plates are verboten. Fit has been great but they only had several hundred rounds through them at this point. I’ll report back if there are any issues.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

This is a weird thread

You - GJM likely have more reps, more time and rounds on this platform with more models of red dots than normies/ early adopters like myself or anyone other than department personnel whom tested the 2.0 models prior to release.

What do you think about it? Does it suit your needs? If so who give a crap what anyone else (with less time and reps invested) feels about the system ?

There’s a 480+ response thread about this whole gun….that you authored. Isn’t there *some* pretty solid data in that thread on this mounting system ?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    This is a weird thread

You - GJM likely have more reps, more time and rounds on this platform with more models of red dots than normies/ early adopters like myself or anyone other than department personnel whom tested the 2.0 models prior to release.

What do you think about it? Does it suit your needs? If so who give a crap what anyone else (with less time and reps invested) feels about the system ?

There’s a 480+ response thread about this whole gun….that you authored. Isn’t there *some* pretty solid data in that thread on this mounting system ?
    HCM commented, in another thread, that the CORE system was not holding up with 2.0 .40 pistols, and he had concerns about 10mm. I haven’t had issues with the CORE in 9mm, but I have zero experience with the CORE in calibers larger than 9. I am genuinely interested what others have experienced using CORE mounted optics, and what smarter people than me think about the engineering design of the CORE. I created a separate thread to focus on just the mounting system. Hopefully SoCalDeputy, E Gelhaus, you and others with lots of CORE experience will chime in.

HCM commented, in another thread, that the CORE system was not holding up with 2.0 .40 pistols, and he had concerns about 10mm. I haven’t had issues with the CORE in 9mm, but I have zero experience with the CORE in calibers larger than 9. I am genuinely interested what others have experienced using CORE mounted optics, and what smarter people than me think about the engineering design of the CORE. I created a separate thread to focus on just the mounting system. Hopefully SoCalDeputy, E Gelhaus, you and others with lots of CORE experience will chime in.
    It’s cause .40 is like well…..

Rainbows and stuff and not in the good inclusive way lol.

Site Supporter
    My local PD, with about 2k sworn has issued the M&P 1.0 40 for several years but they are nearing the end of their service life. Their firearms staff is switched on and recommended replacement with a 9mm optics ready platform. They have been testing optic for several years. They were over ruled and told replacement M&P 2.0 40s. They tried to get 2.0 CORES across the board but it didn't work out.

Last December they authorized POW M&P CORE 40s with choice of four optics and use of what you like to call "Chip-Wiz" plates. Other optics ready guns OK'ed for plainclothes and off duty use. Fast forward to now and I hear there have been enough issues with CORE 40s that direct milling (previously requested and denied) is being authorized.

Waiting on more details on whether these are CORE failures or "Chip-Wiz" failures.

I would not be surprised is this all ended with a move to 9mm.

User Tag List