Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inside the rise of the country’s hottest weed market

Inside the rise of the country’s hottest weed market

Oklahoma, I had no idea.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...na-laws-520311

LOVE COUNTY, Okla. — Shortly after sunrise on July 22, a dozen or so police officers from across Oklahoma descended on a property about 15 miles north of the Texas border. They moved past the fence with the “No Trespassing” signs and the pink building with the aluminum roof toward a collection of hoop houses. They didn’t know much about the occupants, although the cops strongly suspected they were of Chinese descent.

“We pulled in like gangbusters,” recalled Love County Sheriff Marty Grisham, on a recent weekday afternoon. “The guy who spoke Mandarin got on the loudspeaker, and I don’t know what he was saying, but I'm sure: ‘Come out with your hands up,’ or that sort of thing.”

Ultimately, officers confiscated more than 2,300 marijuana plants with an estimated street value of $3.5 million, and about $65,000 in cash. Two men — Zhimou Chen and Chong Chen — were taken into custody and officials charged Zhimou with cultivation of an illegal controlled substance. Officials said the farm didn’t have a valid license, rendering otherwise legal marijuana into illicit goods.

Scenes like the one in Marietta have become routine in south central Oklahoma and other rural parts of the state in recent months. There have been similar raids in the nearby farming towns of Tishomingo, Gene Autry and Pauls Valley. In fact, the July raid on the Love County property was among the smaller enforcement operations in the area. The June raid in Gene Autry, for example, netted approximately 27,000 plants with a street value of $50 million. They also discovered about 45 workers living on the property, in what Carter County Sheriff Chris Bryant described as “horrible conditions.” Altogether, the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics estimates that there have been at least five dozen raids of illegal marijuana cultivation operations since the crackdown began in April, a phenomenon that was largely nonexistent up until that point.
    #RESIST

I can’t say I’ve visited a lot of other states before and after they’ve passed medical marijuana laws…. But it’s blown up in OK in epic proportions. The town I live in has the highest ratio of dispensaries per capita in the United States.

The state passed the law with little pre-planning and the rural areas are getting blown up with grows because there is little to no oversight.

Student
    Jorge Ventura recently produced a documentary about this kind of thing in California.
    https://thepostmillennial.com/mexica...a-daily-caller

Unfortunately it has gotten completely out of hand here and illegal grow operations are only a small part of the problem.

There are many "legal" growers that are selling their product illegally across state lines.

Many rural properties are being bought up by foreigners at several times the asking price for growing operations.

One of the requirements for a license here is that the operations must be 70% Oklahoman owned so that has created another criminal enterprise where one person may be the "majority owner" of many sites on paper only and paid quite well for it.

Anyone else hearing Cross Canadian Ragweed as background music right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    Anyone else hearing Cross Canadian Ragweed as background music right now?
    Back when we could laugh about it….

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    The punishment for growing weed illegally in Oklohoma is living in Oklohoma.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The punishment for growing weed illegally in Oklohoma is living in Oklohoma.
    It's Oklahoma you barbarian. And they have some pretty girls there.

(The ones that don't do meth, anyway.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    And they have some pretty girls there.

(The ones that don't do meth, anyway.)
    Sadly those girls are getting harder to find. But if you are feeling froggy and want to live dangerously, about any street corner in Oklahoma City will fulfill those urges.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Sadly those girls are getting harder to find. But if you are feeling froggy and want to live dangerously, about any street corner in Oklahoma City will fulfill those urges.
    I've known a few gals from OK and they were OK with me.

Some years ago I stopped off the highway in Erick and I was like, man, there are way more pretty girls here than the population should have.

I have had several friends from OK, so I have a soft spot for the state. (Though not necessarily for the gals. )
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

User Tag List