Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New CZ 600 Series Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    LUX looks interesting from the photo…

Seems heavy for the specs… 8+ lbs? M70 featherweight is over a pound less…

If 527 is discontinued I imagine the secondhand market for them will get a boost.
    I've already seen 527s listing in the $1200 range, including one that was pretty beat up but well, it's now rare.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

They really need to add a third chambering to the Trail - .300BO.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’ve had a GB search set up for the Trail since it was announced, but nothing yet. Has anyone heard anything about availability or pricing estimates?
    1155 is MSRP expect them to probably fall around 1090 online.

They have started shipping yet.
    FN America DSM
    Cajun Gun Works and Shooters World Powder shooting team member

So I almost took the plunge on buying a 600 Alpha in .30-06 yesterday. What gave me some pause was the 14" LOP, actually it would have likely been paid already were it not for this. This seems too long for someone around 5"7" with short arms but then again it's not an AR that will be running and gunning. Seeing it mainly used in the field with makeshift shooting positions or prone at the range. I find so many conflicting views on LOP, it leaves me feeling like theres no way but trial and error to be sure. Measuring from the old 'crook of the arm' leaves me right around 13.5" but I run my AR at just over 11".

It seems the longer you go the more you likely give up in general use from various positions, I see Jeff Cooper is on record for using 12" at 6'2" which by many would be considered short for his size. I have a Benelli Super Nova Tactical with pistol grip that is 14.5" and I'm not sure if I can use that well enough to gauge how the length will play with me as it's a shotgun. I don't expect to be able to find any of these Alpha's locally unless Bass Pro happens to get them or I ask the LGS around to call me if they receive any. I also emailed CZ about how one might reduce the LOP after purchase with parts or gunsmithing. So I'm stumped.

Seems the easy button is the Remington 700 w/ Magpul stock for .30-06 but I hate the idea of anything Remington with their quality issues. I am also looking at T3X Lite from Tikka but I wish it were a threaded barrel as I intend to get a suppressor for this in time. The CZ just checks so many boxes for me and at under $650 after FFL fees I don't see how I can do better for the money. This is a major factor because I don't see this getting used much at all, mainly just getting it to have that long range/heavy caliber box checked... despite being in a very heavily wooded AO. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    So I almost took the plunge on buying a 600 Alpha in .30-06 yesterday. What gave me some pause was the 14" LOP, actually it would have likely been paid already were it not for this. This seems too long for someone around 5"7" with short arms but then again it's not an AR that will be running and gunning. Seeing it mainly used in the field with makeshift shooting positions or prone at the range. I find so many conflicting views on LOP, it leaves me feeling like theres no way but trial and error to be sure. Measuring from the old 'crook of the arm' leaves me right around 13.5" but I run my AR at just over 11".

It seems the longer you go the more you likely give up in general use from various positions, I see Jeff Cooper is on record for using 12" at 6'2" which by many would be considered short for his size. I have a Benelli Super Nova Tactical with pistol grip that is 14.5" and I'm not sure if I can use that well enough to gauge how the length will play with me as it's a shotgun. I don't expect to be able to find any of these Alpha's locally unless Bass Pro happens to get them or I ask the LGS around to call me if they receive any. I also emailed CZ about how one might reduce the LOP after purchase with parts or gunsmithing. So I'm stumped.

Seems the easy button is the Remington 700 w/ Magpul stock for .30-06 but I hate the idea of anything Remington with their quality issues. I am also looking at T3X Lite from Tikka but I wish it were a threaded barrel as I intend to get a suppressor for this in time. The CZ just checks so many boxes for me and at under $650 after FFL fees I don't see how I can do better for the money. This is a major factor because I don't see this getting used much at all, mainly just getting it to have that long range/heavy caliber box checked... despite being in a very heavily wooded AO. Thoughts?
    Have you considered the Benelli Lupo in 30-06?

Can't speak to it's specs, but it's the most comfortable 30-06 I've shot thanks to the Benelli stock. Plus it's got a 5/8th threaded barrel.

Doesn't get much, if any press. However it's probably the only 30-06 I'm going to keep.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Have you considered the Benelli Lupo in 30-06?

Can't speak to it's specs, but it's the most comfortable 30-06 I've shot thanks to the Benelli stock. Plus it's got a 5/8th threaded barrel.

Doesn't get much, if any press. However it's probably the only 30-06 I'm going to keep.
    Haven't considered it because I can't say I remember seeing it. Beautiful design but pricey, would be a heavy contender if only had more money now. Got pics of your setup?

Haven't considered it because I can't say I remember seeing it. Beautiful design but pricey, would be a heavy contender if only had more money now. Got pics of your setup?
    Unfortunately not currently.

I got bit by the 30-06 bug a couple of years ago. Started with a new production Win 70. That gun was absolutely horrible. I could never get it slighted in, I ran out of windage quickly. Sent it back to the factory, they ended up replacing the entire rifle.

While it was off getting inspected I tried a buddies Weatherby Vanguard. Not bad, would almost certainly work well as a hunting rifle. By that I mean the first couple of shots are nice and tight but starting at shot number 3 it goes from minute of angle to minute of broadside of barn.

Got the new Winchester in and found a Hornady load it absolutely loves. But yet again after about 3 shots it really opens up big time.

I tried the Benelli on a whim. I've shot several of their shotguns with good effect. I'm glad I did. It's still a hunting gun also and not a target rifle. However it holds its groups together for much longer than the other two rifles I mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Unfortunately not currently.

I got bit by the 30-06 bug a couple of years ago. Started with a new production Win 70. That gun was absolutely horrible. I could never get it slighted in, I ran out of windage quickly. Sent it back to the factory, they ended up replacing the entire rifle.

While it was off getting inspected I tried a buddies Weatherby Vanguard. Not bad, would almost certainly work well as a hunting rifle. By that I mean the first couple of shots are nice and tight but starting at shot number 3 it goes from minute of angle to minute of broadside of barn.

Got the new Winchester in and found a Hornady load it absolutely loves. But yet again after about 3 shots it really opens up big time.

I tried the Benelli on a whim. I've shot several of their shotguns with good effect. I'm glad I did. It's still a hunting gun also and not a target rifle. However it holds its groups together for much longer than the other two rifles I mentioned above.
    Good info, thanks. I definitely want something which is capable of more than a few shots before it spews a bunch of shit. The CZ has a semi-heavy barrel which is nice there, how many rounds would you say it takes to really open up?

Should also add, I've never been disappointed by a Tikka.

I've got an uncle who has one in 30-06. He swears it doesn't kick bad. I have a hard time believing that given how light that rifle is

Good info, thanks. I definitely want something which is capable of more than a few shots before it spews a bunch of shit. The CZ has a semi-heavy barrel which is nice there, how many rounds would you say it takes to really open up?

Going off memory, it's been several months since I've shot it, I'd say somewhere between 6 to 10 shots. If the weather wasn't bad this weekend I'd take it out and test it for you.

User Tag List