Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First interesting thing that's happened in Liverpool since The Beatles left

First interesting thing that's happened in Liverpool since The Beatles left

A taxi driver apparently locked a suicide bomber in his car after spotting explosives before a blast ripped through the vehicle outside a maternity hospital in Liverpool on Sunday.

The explosion, reported at 10:59am, came moments before the nation fell silent to mark Remembrance Day and killed the cab passenger and injured the driver, named locally as David Perry.

The car passenger, a man, was declared dead at the scene and is yet to be formally identified. Mr Perry was injured and was tonight being treated for 'non-life threatening' injuries, which friends said included burns and shrapnel wounds.

The incident took place as a Remembrance service involving more than 2,000 military personnel, veterans and civic dignitaries, was happening at Liverpool's Anglican Cathedral less than a mile away.

A close friend of Mr Perry's told MailOnline the family believe the original target was the Remembrance service: 'The passenger asked David to go to the cathedral so we believe that was the intended target. But they got stuck in heavy traffic so the passenger asked to go to the hospital instead.'

Unconfirmed reports on social media suggested Mr Perry averted disaster by locking his passenger inside. Stephen Thomas said online: 'The taxi driver is my mate, and he spotted the passenger acting suspicious. He's in hospital, luckily he escaped just before but he did suffer some injuries.'

Kev Cuthbertson also wrote on Facebook: 'It's my mate who got blown up. He's in a bad, bad way. He's a fellow driver on delta. He's had his ear sewn back on, got burns and shrapnel wounds and other pretty serious injuries. He is a hero. When he noticed the bomb, he locked the scumbag in the car. But took the brunt of the blast.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-entrance.html

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    Good on 'im. May he never pay for his pint for the rest of his long days.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

From what I have read, the Police knew exactly where to look… 1100 GMT explosion 💥 and arrests in the early afternoon in Merseyside.
    Evidently, the neighborhoods have changed since John, Paul, George and Ringo lived there.

Wow. That could have ended differently.

Site Supporter
    Child safety locks active on the rear doors?

Seems like a simple thing for the BG to just open the door and walk to the hospital otherwise..
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Right hand drive? Driver door did not open before the explosion. Driver is a lucky dude. Possibly the BG expecting a much bigger kaboom?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Right hand drive? Driver door did not open before the explosion. Driver is a lucky dude. Possibly the BG expecting a much bigger kaboom?
    A suicide bomb that doesn't even kill someone in the same car as you????? That's good for the good guys but damn! Also amazing how I've heard nothing of this on news or among coworkers....

You know, explosives are hard.

Suicide attack

Some points.....
    Passenger in taxi had explosive device, suffered "own goal"....seems that target was the Remembrance Sunday service at the cathedral, but because of road closures the terrorist could not get closer.
    Suicide bomber who died when his device blew up outside hospital was an asylum seeker: Enzo Almeni was born Emad Jamil Al-Swealmeen and raised in Iraq before moving to UK several years ago.
    Almeni was taken in by Malcolm and Elizabeth Hitchcott in 2017 and converted from Islam to Christianity in Liverpool Cathedral, the venue it is thought he wanted to blow up on Remembrance Sunday -Converting is a common ploy to advoid being repatriated to Islamic countries; a system known as "pray and stay"
    Almeni had mental health issues and was arrested and sectioned in 2014 for carrying a knife around central Liverpool/ He was still not deported!

User Tag List