Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Old Time Cocktails for Prohibition Socialite Cosplay (and other cocktails)

Site Supporter
    Been working on my Whiskey Sour. I think I finally got it right.

1 oz simple syrup (Roses is fine)
    3/4 oz lemon juice (fresh squeezed or good quality bottled. I'm using the bottled Italian stuff from Costco, which is excellent)
    1.5 oz Bourbon (I like Bulleit Rye, but whatever you prefer)
    1 Quail egg white (for froth)
    2 Amarena Cherries (my new favorites) with a bit of syrup. (in the glass, not in the shaker)

Shake vigorously and pour over ice ......

Name:  Sour.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  32.3 KB
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 03-22-2022 at 08:01 PM.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I'm a rank amateur when it comes to mixing real cocktails. But, everybody has to start someplace, right? My favorite is the Old Fashioned. It's such a wonderful mutt of a drink. I'm very fortunate that within walking distance to my residence, there is an outstanding restaurant. This place offers two distinct takes on the drink, which both are wonderful. (And, their prices are great.)

"If By Whiskey"
    1 sugar cube
    water
    3 dashes bitters (use whatcha got)
    1.5 oz Rye Whiskey (Rittenhouse was recommended)
    1.5 oz Pear Brandy (Pierre Ferrand Ambre was recommended but you can also use Calvados)

I've become a fan of adding Calvados to an Old Fashioned.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mntneer357 View Post
    I'm a rank amateur when it comes to mixing real cocktails. But, everybody has to start someplace, right? My favorite is the Old Fashioned. It's such a wonderful mutt of a drink. I'm very fortunate that within walking distance to my residence, there is an outstanding restaurant. This place offers two distinct takes on the drink, which both are wonderful. (And, their prices are great.)

"If By Whiskey"
    1 sugar cube
    water
    3 dashes bitters (use whatcha got)
    1.5 oz Rye Whiskey (Rittenhouse was recommended)
    1.5 oz Pear Brandy (Pierre Ferrand Ambre was recommended but you can also use Calvados)

I've become a fan of adding Calvados to an Old Fashioned.
    I find that when making mixed drinks with Whiskey, Rye beats straight Bourbon...

No toasted orange peel or Cherry?

There's a place by me that uses a small butane torch to singe part of the orange peel. I suppose you could use a gas stove at home. Surprised me how much flavor that added.

Pear Brandy sounds like an interesting twist..
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I find that when making mixed drinks with Whiskey, Rye beats straight Bourbon...

No toasted orange peel or Cherry?

There's a place by me that uses a small butane torch to singe part of the orange peel. I suppose you could use a gas stove at home. Surprised me how much flavor that added.

Pear Brandy sounds like an interesting twist..
    Hand to God, I'd never had rye whiskey before I tried this exact drink. I'd only had Old Fashioneds made with bourbon, and I loved those too. This was a real "wow" kind of moment for me. Went right out and picked up a bottle of Rittenhouse rye *and* a bottle of Knob Creek rye (just because I love Knob Creek stuff). Suffice to say, now I am learning about rye whiskeys, and enjoying every bit of it.

No sir, there was no fruit whatsoever in this drink. I'm in no way opposed to orange peel or cherry, but this drink left both out. I *do* need some of those top-shelf cherries for my home bar...

I do indeed recommend trying an Old Fashioned with a bit of pear brandy or Calvados in it. I'm sure purists will call me a heretic, but I'm also the guy who enjoys shooting Glocks and Berettas and 9mm 1911s, so, yeah, I'm a lil different.

Site Supporter
    Hand to God, I'd never had rye whiskey before I tried this exact drink. I'd only had Old Fashioneds made with bourbon, and I loved those too. This was a real "wow" kind of moment for me. Went right out and picked up a bottle of Rittenhouse rye *and* a bottle of Knob Creek rye (just because I love Knob Creek stuff). Suffice to say, now I am learning about rye whiskeys, and enjoying every bit of it.

No sir, there was no fruit whatsoever in this drink. I'm in no way opposed to orange peel or cherry, but this drink left both out. I *do* need some of those top-shelf cherries for my home bar...

I do indeed recommend trying an Old Fashioned with a bit of pear brandy or Calvados in it. I'm sure purists will call me a heretic, but I'm also the guy who enjoys shooting Glocks and Berettas and 9mm 1911s, so, yeah, I'm a lil different.
    LOL!

I'm not a big neat/rocks Rye fan, but I do like mixing with it. Give Bulleit Rye a try. I don't care for their Bourbon much, but their Rye is solid and reasonably priced for mixing.

We have some Elderflower liqueur that I use occasionally to sweeten a drink, but I'll find some Pear Brandy and give it a try.. Thanks for the suggestion.

If you like cherries sweeter, Luxardo is hard to beat. If you prefer them just a little bit sour (still sweet but slightly sour too), the Amarenas I linked above are awesome, and much less expensive than Luxardo.

Heretofore, I was pretty sure I was not a fan of gin, in any way. It smelled like Pine-Sol. I wasn't a big fan of the juniper berry taste. I'd tried a little here and there and kept coming to the same conclusion. Anything made with gin earned a hard "pass" from me.

This weekend, a friend ordered a gin & tonic made with Hendrick's Gin. This is apparently infused with cucumber. I tried it and was kinda shocked. It was indeed good, and the usually objectionable attributes of the drink were drastically cut by the gin used. If you have not tried Hendrick's, you might give it a chance sometime. G&T is a pretty rad summertime drink

"Improved" Gin and Tonic
    2 oz Hendrick's gin
    4 oz Fever Tree tonic water
    2 slices of lime

Site Supporter
    4 oz Fever Tree tonic water
    What flavor?

Consensus here is "Mediterranean" or "Grapefruit" (Pampelmousse) but I'm not sure whether either goes well with Hendricks...

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    What flavor?

Consensus here is "Mediterranean" or "Grapefruit" (Pampelmousse) but I'm not sure whether either goes well with Hendricks...
    Wow...that "Mediterranean" tonic does look like it would be very good. I may have to go hunt that down, just to keep at the house, in case. However, I *believe* this drink was concocted with the regular, yellow label Fever Tree tonic. I'm a fan of Fever Tree products and I sometimes put a splash of their club soda in my Old Fashioneds, at the house. It seems to help the bitters.

This whole gin & tonic thing is weird. I didn't think I liked gin or cucumber. But, this drink had a *lot* going for it and I will dang sure try it again.

This weekend, a friend ordered a gin & tonic made with Hendrick's Gin... If you have not tried Hendrick's, you might give it a chance sometime.
    If you like regular Hendrick's, try to find some Hendrick's Lunar Gin. Yum.
    A friend has transitioned from Negronis to G&T (darn) and the Lunar is very good in it.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    This whole gin & tonic thing is weird. I didn't think I liked gin or cucumber. But, this drink had a *lot* going for it and I will dang sure try it again.
    Welcome to the dark side....

Wife and her brother like the Hendricks. I'm happy to drink Hendricks but prefer the Tanquerey Rangpur.
    I'm 100% with you on preferring less Juniper.

G&T is a good summer drink if you can find the flavor combination that you like.

User Tag List