Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Time Cocktails for Prohibition Socialite Cosplay (and other cocktails)

I do like a good espresso martini, though I’m also a gin martini purist and don’t have more than a handful of uses for vodka.

I’ve always just done 2oz vodka (preferably Reyka), 1oz espresso, and 3/4oz simple or maple syrup. Easy to remember because it’s the same spirit:juice:syrup proportions I use for any and every sour variation.

Edit - shake it with ice like you’re trying to kill it, and if possible and applicable try to work quickly to get it mixed before the espresso shot “dies.” A typical espresso shot will be enough for two drinks so it’s a convenient drink to make for two.

If you don’t have a home espresso rig you could use some of the stronger Aero Press methods, a Moka Pot, or the espresso-like options for the various pod coffee makers. Real espresso is different but I think the cocktail is still pretty forgiving.

French 75.

One ounce gin
    1/2 ounce lemon juice, freshly squeezed
    1/2 ounce simple syrup
    3 ounces Champagne
    Garnish: lemon twist

Tasty but potent.
    The reference to the French Artillery piece only sealed the deal for me.
    I restrict myself to no more than two in an evening… For reasons.

The Rusty Nail - from what I understand it was a Prohibition/Roaring 20’s era drink that saw a resurgence in the 1960’s when members of The Rat Pack made it popular.

The recipe calls for two parts Scotch and one part Drambuie. It’s pretty good with Knob Creek, but Drambuie is a tad sweet for my taste so I use about half of what the recipe calls for.

It’ll get you drunk.

Site Supporter
    The recipe I use for espresso martinis is pretty simple.

1.5oz Vodka (I used Titos)
    1.5oz espresso allowed to cool to room temp (I pulled the shots using 21g of natural process Ethiopian beans on a Cafelat Robot - I'm deeper into coffee than I am booze)
    1oz Kahlua
    ~5ml sugar in the raw simple syrup

Shaken with large ice cubes to prevent too much dilution until ice cold and topped with the same beans I used to brew the espresso

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I do like a good espresso martini, though I’m also a gin martini purist and don’t have more than a handful of uses for vodka.

I’ve always just done 2oz vodka (preferably Reyka), 1oz espresso, and 3/4oz simple or maple syrup. Easy to remember because it’s the same spirit:juice:syrup proportions I use for any and every sour variation.

Edit - shake it with ice like you’re trying to kill it, and if possible and applicable try to work quickly to get it mixed before the espresso shot “dies.” A typical espresso shot will be enough for two drinks so it’s a convenient drink to make for two.

If you don’t have a home espresso rig you could use some of the stronger Aero Press methods, a Moka Pot, or the espresso-like options for the various pod coffee makers. Real espresso is different but I think the cocktail is still pretty forgiving.
    I'd definitely go moka pot if you don't have an espresso machine. A good moka pot technique will get you a very fine shot of coffee. Like all coffee, start with good/reasonably fresh beans, grind just before using a pretty fine grind setting, level off the basket but do not tamp, fill the chamber with boiling water, and then put on the stove until the coffee coming out the top turns honey-colored, at which point you should immediately cool the bottom chamber with cold water to stop the brew. I have not tried an espresso martini with moka pot coffee, but I bet it would be good.

I use a Moka pot a lot for Cuban coffee, though I do it with Bustelo so I'm probably not getting a great shot of espresso. I'd like to try doing it "right" though.

On topic, I bought a bottle of Cocchi sweet vermouth as an alternative to the Noilly Prat I'd been using in cocktails. Having a sweeter, richer vermouth is like a night-and-day difference in cocktails like the Americano and Boulevardier where it needs to stand up to the bitterness of Campari.

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    I use a Moka pot a lot for Cuban coffee, though I do it with Bustelo so I'm probably not getting a great shot of espresso. I'd like to try doing it "right" though.

On topic, I bought a bottle of Cocchi sweet vermouth as an alternative to the Noilly Prat I'd been using in cocktails. Having a sweeter, richer vermouth is like a night-and-day difference in cocktails like the Americano and Boulevardier where it needs to stand up to the bitterness of Campari.
    You may also like Carpano Antica. It's actually pretty good straight if you're into fortified wines, and allows for tending towards a little more vermouth in a drink than otherwise because it tastes so much better. I normally like a very whiskey-forward Manhattan but with Carpano I like them as sweet as 3-1.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    You may also like Carpano Antica. It's actually pretty good straight if you're into fortified wines, and allows for tending towards a little more vermouth in a drink than otherwise because it tastes so much better. I normally like a very whiskey-forward Manhattan but with Carpano I like them as sweet as 3-1.
    I've heard good things, and it's right next to the Cocchi vermouth at the local bougie grocery store, so I think I'll get that next.

Name:  65801633-4EAC-4025-B78D-BA601DD92CD7.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  68.9 KB

Did I hear someone say “Prohibition”?
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    …and Boulevardier where it needs to stand up to the bitterness of Campari.
    Try Aperol instead of Campari.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List