Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Time Cocktails for Prohibition Socialite Cosplay (and other cocktails)

Site Supporter
    Thanks for all the recommendations here. A few I plan on trying.

All I have to contribute are a few personal tweaks to some standard recipes.

I like a Manhattan made with Bulleit Rye instead of Bourbon, and I like 1 shake of Cardamom bitters on top of 1 shake of Angostura. I've made this for several friends and exactly zero of them liked the Cardamom version, so, YMMV.

From the "ingredients matter" files....

I've been enjoying Whiskey Sours recently, made with 1 part simple syrup, 1 part "Italian Volcano organic lemon juice" (Costco), 2 parts your preferred Bourbon, 1 "good" * cherry with a bit of syrup and the white of 1 Quail egg (for froth).

*Good Cherries. Luxardos are decent and easy to find but wife agrees that Toschi Amarena are slightly more tart and make for a better drink. Bonus, you can buy them by the kilo from Amazon for $24.50. Way cheaper than Luxardos.

And on the Gin & Tonic side, Fever Tree tonics are worth the price.. We like the Mediterranean for G&T, but there are several others that are quite good.

ETA Link for Cherries above.
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 11-15-2021 at 02:04 PM.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    @perlslacker

It just so happens that I had a paper plane at a new local craft place near me that opened up tonight. Also, a blood & sand.

In addition to those cocktails, I am partial to:

Sazerac
    Manhattan (duh)
    Boulevardier
    Penicillin
    Sidecar
    Vieux Carre
    Brown Derby
    Whiskey Sour and New York Sour
    I haven't made any brandy cocktails at all, but I think the Vieux Carre might be the first.

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    Various gin sours and rum sours are my go-tos. For classic cocktails, I am a sucker for the 4 equal parts family of cocktails.

The Last Word, 1 part each of;

gin
    lime juice
    maraschino liqueur
    green chartreuse

Corpse Reviver #2, 1 part each of;

gin
    lemon or lime juice (I prefer lime juice in every drink, the original recipe says lemon, however)
    orange liqueur (Cointreau is a safe bet)
    Lillet Blanc, or, if you can get it, one of the Kina Lillet replacements
    I've never seen a place that carried Lillet Blanc that didn't also have Cocchi Americano, which I think is the go-to Kina Lillet replacement.

I like Corpse Revivers much more with Cocchi than with Lillet.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Old Fashionds without the "fruit salad" will get you banned from Wisconsin. Doubly-so if they're not made with brandy.
    Korbel Brandy, if you please. (I'll abstain, please and thank you, but 70% of the Korbel brandy sold in the world is sold in Wisconsin.)

Quote Originally Posted by fly out View Post
    Korbel Brandy, if you please. (I'll abstain, please and thank you, but 70% of the Korbel brandy sold in the world is sold in Wisconsin.)
    Don't exaggerate... it's only 50% of Korbel's total output.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    I haven't made any brandy cocktails at all, but I think the Vieux Carre might be the first.

I've never seen a place that carried Lillet Blanc that didn't also have Cocchi Americano, which I think is the go-to Kina Lillet replacement.

I like Corpse Revivers much more with Cocchi than with Lillet.
    I agree with Cocchi Americano versus Lillet Blanc in those settings. Another really good option is Kina L'Aéro d'Or from the Tempus Fugit line. Plus, it looks fabulous on your backbar (not that that matters. Much.).

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Don't exaggerate... it's only 50% of Korbel's total output.
    Still embarrassing. The distributor used to claim 70%, but I see Korbel themselves say 50%. I'll have to update my anecdote.

Quote Originally Posted by fly out View Post
    I agree with Cocchi Americano versus Lillet Blanc in those settings. Another really good option is Kina L'Aéro d'Or from the Tempus Fugit line. Plus, it looks fabulous on your backbar (not that that matters. Much.).
    I've seen the fancy Youtube bartenders who use that stuff, and I'd love to try it.

Unfortunately, I'm limited to whatever I can find locally since I live in a state that doesn't allow shipping liquor. If I see it in the store, I will buy it immediately.

Site Supporter
    Espresso martini night. I’m normally a gin martini purist, but I’ll make an exception occasionally for these.

Name:  8E4E1BCA-7CCE-4663-A00A-8BD1070AFEF8.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  35.6 KB
    Name:  C5675E8B-FCD9-4DDE-A575-B90C69F003CB.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  30.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RancidSumo View Post
    Espresso martini night. I’m normally a gin martini purist, but I’ll make an exception occasionally for these.

Name:  8E4E1BCA-7CCE-4663-A00A-8BD1070AFEF8.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  35.6 KB
    Name:  C5675E8B-FCD9-4DDE-A575-B90C69F003CB.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  30.9 KB
    look, you can't just go posting delicious-looking drinks ITT without posting a recipe

Here is one recipe. I’m going to have to try this one.

Ingredients
    2 ounces vodka
    1/2 ounce coffee liqueur (usually Kahlúa)
    1 ounce espresso, freshly brewed (or cold brew concentrate)
    1/2 ounce simple syrup
    Garnish: coffee beans

Steps
    Add vodka, coffee liqueur, espresso and simple syrup to a shaker filled with ice and shake until well-chilled.

Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

Garnish with 3 coffee beans
    Last edited by Coyotesfan97; 11-28-2021 at 07:03 PM.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List