Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Old Time Cocktails for Prohibition Socialite Cosplay (and other cocktails)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    If you like regular Hendrick's, try to find some Hendrick's Lunar Gin. Yum.
    A friend has transitioned from Negronis to G&T (darn) and the Lunar is very good in it.
    There's something about Honeysuckle that brings back memories of childhood.... Will have to look for this one... Thanks.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    There's something about Honeysuckle that brings back memories of childhood....
    Did you grow up down south, by chance? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_3CvrKWQe0

I have this feeling my next trip to Total Wine is going to be...expensive.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mntneer357 View Post
    Did you grow up down south, by chance? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_3CvrKWQe0

I have this feeling my next trip to Total Wine is going to be...expensive.
    LOL... re, TotalWine.

Tangent...

I didn't grow up in the South, but there is (was?) a huge hedge of Honeysuckle I'd ride past at night, on my motorcycle, on the way home from work, near Raleigh, NC, years ago. I KNEW that smell was a memory, but it took me at least a year to finally make a connection to a favorite friend of my parents that wore the scent when I was a kid... She was most definitely Southern. I couldn't have been more than 4 or 5 years old at the time she passed through my life.

/Tangent.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mntneer357 View Post
    Heretofore, I was pretty sure I was not a fan of gin, in any way. It smelled like Pine-Sol. I wasn't a big fan of the juniper berry taste. I'd tried a little here and there and kept coming to the same conclusion. Anything made with gin earned a hard "pass" from me.

This weekend, a friend ordered a gin & tonic made with Hendrick's Gin. This is apparently infused with cucumber. I tried it and was kinda shocked. It was indeed good, and the usually objectionable attributes of the drink were drastically cut by the gin used. If you have not tried Hendrick's, you might give it a chance sometime. G&T is a pretty rad summertime drink

"Improved" Gin and Tonic
    2 oz Hendrick's gin
    4 oz Fever Tree tonic water
    2 slices of lime
    Edit the tonic water to 5 oz. (The amount in the little cans of fever tree) and switch the lime for a cucumber wheel. It makes an excellent summer cooler.

My current go to G&T is 2 oz Nikka Coffey Gin, and 5-6 oz. East Imperial Yuzu Tonic... and that's it. No garnish needed. Bright burst of Yuzu, mildly bitter, pleasantly alcoholic.

An excellent alternative is Grey Whale gin. I resisted trying it because of the pretty blue bottle. Turns out that was a mistake. 2oz with 5oz FT light tonic is very good. The regular tonic is better, but gotta watch the figure. I use no garnish in this one either.

I've come to appreciate the Spanish version of Gintonic. More tonic water that is common in America. 2/5 or even 2/6. I don't put a garden in the glass, but that's mainly because I'm lazy. And it's nice when I'm outside, I don't have to get up to refill my glass as often. (Told you I was lazy)

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Thanatos View Post
    My current go to G&T is 2 oz Nikka Coffey Gin, and 5-6 oz. East Imperial Yuzu Tonic... and that's it. No garnish needed. Bright burst of Yuzu, mildly bitter, pleasantly alcoholic.

An excellent alternative is Grey Whale gin.
    Their Coffey Malt Whisky is excellent....
    Went looking for a review on the Gin and like what I found re:botanicals....
    https://thejapanesebar.com/spirits-w...ka-coffey-gin/

Comparing to Suntory...
    In general, both of these Japanese craft gins are outstanding. Each is citrus-forward with spice and restrained juniper.

The biggest difference is textural. Roku gin is leaner and fresher. Nikka’s gin has a fat texture with a sweeter impression.
    I like the sound of that... Will look for this next time I shop. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Thanatos View Post

I've come to appreciate the Spanish version of Gintonic. More tonic water that is common in America. 2/5 or even 2/6. I don't put a garden in the glass, but that's mainly because I'm lazy. And it's nice when I'm outside, I don't have to get up to refill my glass as often. (Told you I was lazy)

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    My favorite G-n-T came about because I was out of limes and was putting Fee Bros. orange bitters in everything. Used a slice of lemon instead of lime, and a dash of orange bitters at the end. The lemon and orange bitters really work with the gin, any juniper forward gin works great. Spain and Argentina tend to use lemons instead of limes in their G-n-T (had a neighbor from Buenos Aries who informed me of this).

Lizard Ranch G-n-T:

(sequence is important)

-Add 2 oz. London Dry style gin to a 12 oz. tumbler style glass. I prefer short and stout glasses over the Collins style glass.
    -Pour most of a can of chilled Fever Tree or Q Indian Tonic, save a splash for the end. The gin dose not have to be cold, but it doesn't hurt.
    -Add ice cubes.
    -Splash the remaining tonic on top. This seems to insure consistency throughout the drink as it's better incorporated, you don't get a big hit of gin with the first sip.
    -Squeeze a lemon slice over the top and drop in.
    - A few dashes of Fee Bros. orange bitters at the end.

This recipe was almost published as part of an article in Saveur, but that story never made it to print.

I have a couple of Yeti tumblers that keep the drink well chilled when its really hot out.
    Last edited by Tabasco; 04-29-2022 at 03:51 PM.

User Tag List