Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Snubby revolvers with wadcutters

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    How do you know this? You should show some credible testing that validates your claim. In all my time here I dont recall hearing this is a good idea.

Heres a thread with a video that has a video of backwards loaded wadcutters loaded at p+ according to the box, I didnt look at the crony results, into clear gel and it doesnt look like results are acceptable.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post775050
    Handloading reversed WC was the hot thing when I was a kid reading gun magazines in the 1970s and early 1980s. However like a lot of the "gun lore" from those days it was bad advice.

"back in the day" it was thought getting hollow points to open up inside the body was the key to effectiveness. My Agency was issuing 110 grain .357 magnum JHPs into the 1990s on the same theory. And.. we were wrong.

Those type loads expand prematurely and create ineffective wounds. They fail to penetrate the 12" to 18" necessary to reach the vital structures inside the body which result in stopping threats.

Not to mention use of handloads in a self defense situation can create other issues.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Handloading reversed WC was the hot thing when I was a kid reading gun magazines in the 1970s and early 1980s. However like a lot of the "gun lore" from those days it was bad advice.

"back in the day" it was thought getting hollow points to open up inside the body was the key to effectiveness. My Agency was issuing 110 grain .357 magnum JHPs into the 1990s on the same theory. And.. we were wrong.

Those type loads expand prematurely and create ineffective wounds. They fail to penetrate the 12" to 18" necessary to reach the vital structures inside the body which result in stopping threats.

Not to mention use of handloads in a self defense situation can create other issues.
    Thats kind of my point. Its garbage info and its not something that normally gets a pass at PF.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    How obnoxious would this be in a scandium J-frame.

Kind of 9mm Gold Dot ballistics depending on how the ~2” barrel does.

Attachment 80104
    It’s the equivalent of a full house +p 9mm load (125 gr at a nominal 1250 fps) in 15 oz gun (S&W 360).

A Glock 43 is 18 oz.

The real issue for me with heavy loads in j-frames is that my thumb gets gouged by the cylinder release during recoil.

I’ll stick with wadcutters in my 642.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Thats kind of my point. Its garbage info and its not something that normally gets a pass at PF.
    Multi quote fail. I was trying to include both you and @rkittine.

I recall back in those days being told in earnest about cutting a cross into the tip of JSP or LSWC bullets for carry ammo. It's right up there with the "tampons to treat gunshot wounds" crap.

Attachment 80104
    I think that in k frames a 125gr bullet @1250fps recoil less than 158 @ 950fps.

I don't know if that means it'll be obnoxious in a j frame.

Just for fun

During a range outing, I shot 5 rounds of 1980's vintage Winchester Silvertip .357 through my S&W 340PD. Recoil was brutal. I shot 5 rounds of Speer Gold Dot .357 135gr short barrel through the 340. Felt like a medium load .357 compared to the Silvertip. I carry Winchester Ranger .38 130gr JHP in the 340.

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post

The real issue for me with heavy loads in j-frames is that my thumb gets gouged by the cylinder release during recoil.

I’ll stick with wadcutters in my 642.
    For range practice I wrap some of this around my thumb. Keeps me from bleeding. I figure if I have to use my snub for real, a sore thumb will be the least of my problems.

https://www.amazon.com/Elastic-Adhes...154438&sr=8-17

Site Supporter

Attachment 80104
    That's the same advertised velocity as R-P .357 Magnum 125-grain Golden Sabre. It's unlikely that you'd get anywhere near that in a 2" barrel; my guess is that it'd be under 1,000 fps. The .38 Special +P 125-grain Golden Sabre I have went 941 fps from my 642 and is unpleasant to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I think that in k frames a 125gr bullet @1250fps recoil less than 158 @ 950fps.

I don't know if that means it'll be obnoxious in a j frame.
    In a scandium J frame, it'd be on the other side of obnoxious IMO.

Attachment 80104
    Betting you wouldn’t get anywhere close to the advertised velocity in the j frame.

Attachment 80104
    I've shot that out of regular J-frames. About 2 cylinders is enough.

User Tag List