Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Snubby revolvers with wadcutters

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    How obnoxious would this be in a scandium J-frame.

Kind of 9mm Gold Dot ballistics depending on how the ~2” barrel does.

Attachment 80104
    “Kills on one end, maims on the other end.”

Wadcutter target loads are as much as I’ll tolerate in a 442. Clearly, YMMV.

Although I never had to shoot anyone with one and see what the result was on a person, I had been asked to load up some (I had three FFLs from 1970 until 1998 and one covered my commercial reloading operation) and we played with the powder charge until we got reasonable penetration in clay or a phone book, which allowed us to look at the fired projectile and also on a test with 2 sheets of sheet rock over a set of 2x4 studs.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    First, the Underwood 38 special wadcutter appears to be a coated DEWC (that is, solid) at an advertised 1,000 fps. Of course it overpenetrates, why would you expect anything else with that combination?.
    This.

Why on earth push a .38 WC to 1,000 FPS? Bear protection?

It certainly doesn’t need flat trajectory, as a full WC is gonna get wobbly past 50 yards.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    This.

Why on earth push a .38 WC to 1,000 FPS? Bear protection?

It certainly doesn’t need flat trajectory, as a full WC is gonna get wobbly past 50 yards.
    My understanding is that wadcutter lack of stability at >50 yards was pretty much restricted to the hollow-base versions at low velocity. I know it happened with my handloads. I thought the reduced length of the DEWC and increased velocity would minimize/eliminate it.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Multi quote fail. I was trying to include both you and @rkittine.

I recall back in those days being told in earnest about cutting a cross into the tip of JSP or LSWC bullets for carry ammo. It's right up there with the "tampons to treat gunshot wounds" crap.
    Ive only seen photos but I think thats basically what Cirillo designed a deep grooved x in a plated I think wadcutter type bullet. I recall seeing pics of it a long time ago, so Im kinda fuzzy on exact details. I think I recall the expansion was pretty extreme.
    Ive always wished I had one of these to examine in person.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Ive only seen photos but I think thats basically what Cirillo designed a deep grooved x in a plated I think wadcutter type bullet. I recall seeing pics of it a long time ago, so Im kinda fuzzy on exact details. I think I recall the expansion was pretty extreme.
    Ive always wished I had one of these to examine in person.
    The home made cut cross thing was not really effective.

Cirillo designed a round for snubbies called the safe stop. It had a V notch and was made of plated soft lead. I believe this design was less about expansion and more about avoiding overpentration. Expansion was a byproduct.

Name:  05808B63-F45D-42AF-8764-361D90BC82B5.jpeg
Views: 273
Size:  60.2 KB

He also designed also a plated / jacket wadcutter bullet called “The Grabber” it had a saw tooth pattern around the circumference. The primary design considerations were penetration related. The full WC / flat-ish front was designed to penetrate and provide a full diameter wound channel. The saw tooth pattern was intended to dig in (“grab” ) and penetrate when hitting bone rather than deflecting.

Name:  C973042A-30DA-431B-A39B-BA5777D4BB30.jpeg
Views: 269
Size:  13.1 KB
    Last edited by HCM; 11-18-2021 at 03:15 PM.

Reminds me of the ramrod ends that Thompson Center made with an x to cut into a round ball

I don't "think" it's been mentioned yet, but the bowling pin bullets I see are cast in various hardness, and they are heavy for caliber.
    I've never used them but if I was stuck with sub 2" guns I'd at least investigate.
    No affiliation. There are multiple companies selling their versions.

https://www.badmanbullets.com/Online...ng-Pin-Qty-500

230 grain out of a j-frame? That’d be interesting… ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    230 grain out of a j-frame? That’d be interesting… ;-)
    Wouldn't it tho?

I like things that are interesting

User Tag List