Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Phoenix Police Radio Resignation

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    CA / SF Bay Area have been doing that for at least 10 years.

I recall both the San Mateo and Marin County Sheriff’s offices had “bunk houses” where Deputies could crash between shifts. Due to housing prices in the Bay Area many LEOs live 2 hours or more from where they work. Add in compressed work schedules, OT and issues with sleep deprivation are real.

About 15 years ago I worked a case with a Palo Alto PD officer who lived 3 hours from his PD and drove an RV to work and lived in the parking lot during his work week.

Apparently there were airline employees at SFO doing the same thing -staying in RVs in long term parking during the work week.
    The RV thing was huge in San Jose a few years ago too. Couple dozen RVs regularly parked in their lot.

Our Academy classes have gone from 50+ recruits three times a year to 19 or 20 twice a year....if we're lucky. That would not keep up with normal retirement Attrition, much less the exodus of young officers we're seeing. Grand Prairie, Texas is apparently poaching 5-6 of our folks. Guys and gals are going anywhere but here.

Our last graduated class started with 22 recruits. Graduated 10. Three failed FTO. Of the 7 remaining...apparently 4 are in Backgrounds with other agencies already. Yeah....its that bad. We just had a female Sergeant from the Robbery Detail, 15 year veteran, show up and turn in her gun. I asked her what her plans were...if she had another job lined up. She said no.....but that being unemployed for a while was better than staying.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Has anyone seen any PDs offer housing options at/near the station if an officer volunteers/voluntold to work overtime shifts with a quick turnaround between shifts?

Obviously this isn't the crux of the issue at hand, but with some areas being so expensive that officers have to live 2+ hours away it seems like an obvious friction point that could be smoothed out as applicable.
    Most of the agencies in my county have sleeping quarters for officers who have to go to court, work OT, etc. We just installed ours at a substation.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    The RV thing was huge in San Jose a few years ago too. Couple dozen RVs regularly parked in their lot.

Our Academy classes have gone from 50+ recruits three times a year to 19 or 20 twice a year....if we're lucky. That would not keep up with normal retirement Attrition, much less the exodus of young officers we're seeing. Grand Prairie, Texas is apparently poaching 5-6 of our folks. Guys and gals are going anywhere but here.

Our last graduated class started with 22 recruits. Graduated 10. Three failed FTO. Of the 7 remaining...apparently 4 are in Backgrounds with other agencies already. Yeah....its that bad. We just had a female Sergeant from the Robbery Detail, 15 year veteran, show up and turn in her gun. I asked her what her plans were...if she had another job lined up. She said no.....but that being unemployed for a while was better than staying.
    The Captain from Robbery is an Adam Henry, LOL

Good and hard.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    The Captain from Robbery is an Adam Henry, LOL
    I know, right? I hear even his brother thinks so!

I know, right? I hear even his brother thinks so!
    Mom likes him better, though.

My home county is one of the best in the state, all the way around, to include the S.O. here; great outfit, good leadership, decent pay, good locale to live and work with. The S.O. can’t recruit enough deputies to keep up with normal attrition. Hardly shocking when you can make more money and avoid a whole lot of BS doing almost anything else. We are reaping what has been sown.

Site Supporter
    I have had the busiest year of my career as a FTO. 7 recruits, not counting filling in occasionally for other FTOs. Only one lateral. A vast majority of our recruits are hired by a large local agency, get through the new, regional academy, then have another 14 week lateral academy with the large agency, then FTO. That is pushimg almost a year of training before probation even starts.

Many are quitting due to the Mickey Mouse BS. They are segregated during the academy. They have to earn the right to wear their boots. When the academy graduates they are not allowed to wear their agency's uniforms or get pinned with badges because they haven't earned them. Other things like use of force. We were chasing a Agg Burg suspect who had shot at us. An officer from that agency and I corner him and the other officer has to almost literally read the entire Taser warning before deploying. I scramed at him to just hit the guy as I vaulted the fence and almost beat the probes to the guy. He was handcuffed under power. Had to be interviewed by a field supervisor on video. Regardless of the supervisor's findings the reports and videos get sent to a special IA sub division and scrutinized for discrepencies policy violations. A dozen full time detectives doing nothing but use of force reviews for 400 Field Services officers. One of my LTs who came from that agency tried to hammer me because I wasn't asking permission before conducting a search incident to a lawful arrest, as the larger local agency requires. I told him it was policy for another agency, and didn't apply to us until and unless our policies change or the State Supreme Court or SCOTUS makes that call. Recently, sternum rubs on unconscious persons were classified as uses of force, requiring investigations and administrative reviews.

We are the closest we have ever been to being fully staffed. 40 sworn, almost 30 in the field. One of our shift sergeants is an adjunct instructor for the regional academy and has dangled our agency in front of these young, disgruntled cadets, and we are hiring them out from under the State's largest agency while they are in the academy. We have a new recruit starting this week, three in the next academy, and with planned retirements will likely be sending one of our dispatchers to the academy next fall if she can pass the PT test. Even with the most retirements we have seen in a while, FY 22 should see us full up. Finally.

That also has its growing pains. For the last decade or so we exclusively hired laterals. Now we got rookies doing rookie things and making rookie mistakes. If we get our 10 hour shifts back at the next bid, it will be worth all the damn rookies.

pat

Site Supporter
    Our last graduated class started with 22 recruits. Graduated 10. Three failed FTO. Of the 7 remaining...apparently 4 are in Backgrounds with other agencies already. Yeah....its that bad.
    Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by fly out View Post
    Didn't DeSantis offer signing bonuses for any officers so situated, a few weeks ago? I'm sure it was punking NYPD and other similarly situated departments, but I'm also sure they'd happily pay up.
    Gene DeSantis was always a pro law enforcement guy.

I can remember in the early 80's driving to his home on Long Island with my agency's range officer to pick up our leather gear.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

User Tag List